Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 08:29 AM

37,183 posts, read 19,189,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
There are 10's of millions of listeners to the Levin show alone still.
Seven million, actually, if you google it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
I listen to sports talk radio out of Chicago. the main show (afternoons) consisted of a bleading heart Jewish guy and BLM type black guy, you know the type that sees racism everywhere. They would babble on about their SJW nonsense and berate anyone who didn't agree 100% with them (typical right?). They actually had a guest on a couple weeks ago who hung on on them because he dared to disagree with them and the two idiots just couldn't accept a different viewpoint. Well, just last week they got pulled from the show because their ratings had tanked because people got sick of listening to their crap. One reassigned, one basically fired.
I turned on the black dude who was on one of the local channels - he's not a heavy Black Panther type...but, frankly, he comes across as somewhat uninformed so I don't listen.

We'd have to do some study to see if what I suspect is true. People tend to listen to those whose intelligence (not only their POV) at least measures up. I want to listen to someone who can put the various facts together and at least say "this happened back in the 1700's, this in the 1800's and now this today (with some degree of accuracy)...

Way back when, no one could have predicted stuff like Rushbo spending hours dumping on druggies and then being exposed for one himself. His show should be titled "King Hypocrite" or at least "The Rushbo Comedy Show"...
My thinking is that if Rush wasn't blessed with a deep voice and a great ability to lie, he wouldn't have made it. I wonder what his fans would have thought if he were "outed" as a druggie, impotent, gay and a shut-in way back at the beginning. I think those listening to his show heard what they perceived as a "real" man.

I'd say that, at minimum, these dudes and women should live the same lives they preach.

In the Philly are it all started with a guy named Irv Homer. This was on a station named WWDB.

A guy like Irv has real life experience:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irv_Homer
"He flew 15 bombing missions as a pilot. For several years after the war, he was a member of the Reserves. He spent much of his adult life in a variety of careers, including bartending (he owned two taverns) and selling equipment for a pizza company."

Bartending is the perfect forerunner to talk radio...a bunch of depressed dudes spilling out their complaints (long ago, bars were 99% for guys).

When Irv spoke, there was no rallying against one pol party or the other. There was rallying against parts of the system, etc.

"His show was the top talk show for most of that time. During his time at WWDB, Homer became a vocal and notable public presence in the resurgent anti-tax movement. This ultimately led to him being labeled by the IRS as a V.T.P., or Violent Tax Protestor, a title he referred to as a dubious honor, given that his "violence" was simply free speech under the 1st Amendment."

This is why I listen to Julie Mason and occasionally Smerconish. Both were old school Republicans, but in today's world would be called left.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:39 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Seven million, actually, if you google it.
I'm not sure how they add up radio numbers - whether it is the addition of the same people tuning in again and again, extrapolating, etc.

However, they have every reason to make these numbers big (just like web statistics) as it brings in higher ad dollars and there is no way to prove or disprove any of it (unlike the web)....

When I started on the internet back in 1995 many of the biggies (and small sites too) reported their stats in "hits". Well, if a page had 5 images on it, loading it up was 6 "hits". If the user hit refresh that was another 6 hits. These days a page can contain 20 hits or more. If a single user reads 4 pages that's 80 hits. Adds up quickly.

Last edited by craigiri; 03-16-2018 at 08:48 AM..

Old 03-16-2018, 09:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
When it (local radio) is gone we will have lost yet another part of Americana - local station DJs at car washes and Thanksgiving turkey drives, small town news and events, little league sponsors and high school sports broadcasts. It sucks.
Agreed.

Radio has been an integral part of American life for many generations, particularly at the local level.

I just don't understand how people can so cavalierly dismiss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies