Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 08:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Godwin's Law at work.

Following rules at school is NORMAL and should be ENCOURAGED.

I disagree.

Non-violently disrupting a State institution is just fine in my book.

I still find it very interesting that he wasn't arrested after finding out he was 18 (thus not in school by law). The school should have arrested him for trespassing as suggested by some of his detractors.

My feeling is the school didn't want him to be arrested because of bad publicity since they knew this was a State-sponsored political protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Nope.
Yep.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:27 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I disagree.

Non-violently disrupting a State institution is just fine in my book.

I still find it very interesting that he wasn't arrested after finding out he was 18 (thus not in school by law). The school should have arrested him for trespassing as suggested by some of his detractors.

My feeling is the school didn't want him to be arrested because of bad publicity since they knew this was a State-sponsored political protest.
I think an arrest of a high school student is overkill.

Logical justice is what works best.

How far should that "non-violent disrupting" go?

Old 03-19-2018, 08:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
I just pointed out that maybe he thought he would be arrested. Schooling is compulsory for ages x to y depending on locale. He was outside the compulsory age but still chose to attend school. When he didn't comply he should have been arrested.

The State, regardless of who is an isn't an anarchist, needs to apply its laws/regulations equally. By merely suspending him they regarding him as a only a disruption to the protest and not a violator of the State's edicts.

You sound like you're brainwashed. You know like people who are in a cult and they cannot discuss anything outside the parameters of the cults credo.

And I mean that in the nicest, although scariest way.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You sound like you're brainwashed. You know like people who are in a cult and they cannot discuss anything outside the parameters of the cults credo.

And I mean that in the nicest, although scariest way.
It's the cult of non-aggression and freedom.

Most people aren't principled. I can't help it that I try to be and follow it as much as possible.

I have zero tolerance for violence. Anything done non-violently in the face of aggression or to support aggression is OK in my book. I won't budge there.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I think an arrest of a high school student is overkill.

Logical justice is what works best.

How far should that "non-violent disrupting" go?
"Logical justice" is basically power shooting from the hip.

As far as one wants to take it. The school really should have arrested him as he was a non-compulsory student who refused to move from a specific location within a school. Had another adult failed to do so (18 is an adult as well as 88 according to the State) they would have been arrested and forcibly removed.

Again, the onus is on the State to be consistently logical and apply the law equally. It's their rules, not mine (or yours although you probably think they are there for your protection). The way this all played out showed the State failing to be consistent and equal. That's no big surprise. It does that a billion times a day all over the world. When you are in charge of policing yourself accountability is pretty much a foreign concept.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Nope.
Yes, he believed he was and that's all that matters. It is not your place to determine this for him.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:42 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
They chose paddling over in-school suspension, an option I personally think should never exist in schools, but it was their option. Regardless, it and the main topic of this thread are both examples of schools/administrators who poorly handled a predictable event. Most schools, whether students were allowed their 17 minutes or not, anticipated and avoided these problems.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, he believed he was and that's all that matters. It is not your place to determine this for him.
He believed he was...what?

Old 03-20-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
It's the cult of non-aggression and freedom.

Most people aren't principled. I can't help it that I try to be and follow it as much as possible.

I have zero tolerance for violence. Anything done non-violently in the face of aggression or to support aggression is OK in my book. I won't budge there.
Most people aren't principled.

My, my, my.

How's the view from on high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies