Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 12:41 PM

193 posts, read 92,226 times

Advertisements

Toys r us is just the latest. I walked through sears and its like a sense of impending doom. No more guitar center??? People cant come in, jam for 2 hours on various guitars and amps and not buy anything? Neiman marcus would be a big blow to the Dallas area

So what retail stores do people think are doing well?

More retail bankruptcies expected in 2018 - Business Insider

Old 03-17-2018, 01:08 PM

Add gnc and lands end to that list of bankruptcies looming. GNC is always a ripoff

Old 03-17-2018, 01:27 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
The guitar industry is in pretty bad shape, but Gibson Guitar Co. is in the worst.

Gibson has over $300 million in secured notes that are coming due in June & July, and only has about 1/3 of the amount needed to cover them. Other major guitar manufacturers are in better shape, but not all that much better.

Fading retail store sales are only a part of the industry's problem, and not all areas in the guitar market are affected equally; high-end acoustic guitars, for example, still sell very well in brick and mortar stores. When a player is thinking about buying a $3,000 or more guitar, they usually want to see and play it in person before purchasing.

On the other end, the solid-body electric guitars, once the largest sellers in the industry, are now in real sales trouble in all sales outlets, internet or brick and mortar. The electric guitar was something almost every teenage boy wanted for many decades, but not now. Teen boys would rather own games than guitars these days.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:30 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Sears, J C Penney, Payless, J Crew..all in 2018 I suspect.

I'd bet on Macys by 2020, btw.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:31 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The guitar industry is in pretty bad shape, but Gibson Guitar Co. is in the worst.

Gibson has over $300 million in secured notes that are coming due in June & July, and only has about 1/3 of the amount needed to cover them. Other major guitar manufacturers are in better shape, but not all that much better.

Fading retail store sales are only a part of the industry's problem, and not all areas in the guitar market are affected equally; high-end acoustic guitars, for example, still sell very well in brick and mortar stores. When a player is thinking about buying a $3,000 or more guitar, they usually want to see and play it in person before purchasing.

On the other end, the solid-body electric guitars, once the largest sellers in the industry, are now in real sales trouble in all sales outlets, internet or brick and mortar. The electric guitar was something almost every teenage boy wanted for many decades, but not now. Teen boys would rather own games than guitars these days.
Interviewed at Gibson years ago (corp).

An absolute train wreck coming. Long overdue. Product was NEVER the problem.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:34 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,061 times
2020 is the last year for Sears. That's been my prediction since I left that miserable hellhole in 2015.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Yeah I would never buy a nice guitar without playing it. I wil say that most of these guitar stores have the absolute worst customer service. The guys that work in there are usually musicians who could care less about the customer. Same with record stores and their disappearance. Usually the worst customer service at places like record bar, camelot,sam goody.

They would play awful music and treat your record selection with contempt

they are now gone like the hairstyles of the 1980s. tape world didnt even have the foresight to add cds to its title, they were banking on cassette tapes

https://twitter.com/cartermoore100/s...94702579077121

Old 03-17-2018, 02:17 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architech100 View Post
Toys r us is just the latest. I walked through sears and its like a sense of impending doom. No more guitar center??? People cant come in, jam for 2 hours on various guitars and amps and not buy anything? Neiman marcus would be a big blow to the Dallas area

So what retail stores do people think are doing well?

More retail bankruptcies expected in 2018 - Business Insider
Sears should be next but I am stunned that they made it through 2017 without a BK filing. They might be able to get through 2018 as well.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:38 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,130 times
I paid a lot when training at GNC and today with Amazon would never need to shop there again. Shipments of bulk protein by mail don't require me to go to the mall and pay retail.

Costco hurts their vitamin sales by selling in bulk.

However, remember there is a lot of profit in every bottle of vitamins. Therefore, while sales and profits will be squeezed, I expect they will survive.

Low profit items are what get squeezed the most.

I think the big sporting goods stores are facing a tough time on three fronts:

1. Americans are getting ever more unhealthy and not likely to buy sporting equipment.

2. Internet.

3. Low profit margin items.

Bass, Dick's, or REI

Old 03-17-2018, 02:51 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Speaking of hanging on, how does Subway manage to stay on for this long? I can slap together a sandwich from stuff in my fridge that blows away that junk they sell there anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.