Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 08:23 AM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Sorry I have no sympathy for her, and I usually am sympathetic towards those people who are truly shamed in public (she wasn't shamed here anyways).

It wasn't an unreasonable request and she's overreacting. Better to lose weight I say as a reality wake up call.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woma...141517222.html

Quote:
A woman who claims staff at Universal’s Islands of Adventure “humiliated” her by refusing to accommodate her size has filed a discrimination complaint with the Florida Commission on Human Relations, WFTV reports.

My favorite comment:

Quote:
Just because it's the King Kong ride doesn't mean it has to accommodate King Kong. Look, is it discrimination against the disabled if a paralyzed person can't enjoy the ride because there isn't staff to lift them out of the wheelchair and onto the ride? My Aunt encountered this at Disneyland. While she was sad she couldn't go on many of the rides, she understood there's a liability if she's dropped. Not everyone can go on all the rides. She can if she loses weight. It's that simple. Stop whining and go on a diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 09:17 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
So she understands she might have crushed other riders but still thinks she should get three seats? She's the only one with the remedy, lose some mass.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:23 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
These rides have size, and height limitations for safety reasons.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:33 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
These rides have size, and height limitations for safety reasons.
Yep, if you are shorter than Mickey, you can't ride. Same if you weigh more than Dumbo.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:36 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sorry I have no sympathy for her, and I usually am sympathetic towards those people who are truly shamed in public (she wasn't shamed here anyways).

It wasn't an unreasonable request and she's overreacting. Better to lose weight I say as a reality wake up call.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woma...141517222.html

My favorite comment:
lol @ Just because it's the King Kong ride doesn't mean it has to accommodate King Kong.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:36 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
No NAP violation.

The owner of the ride has the right to refuse service based on weight, race, height, religion, it's Tuesday, etc.

I know the government says otherwise but it's wrong...as always.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:40 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
It doesn`t say if she accepted the free dinner.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:43 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
This person seems to have a sense of entitlement issue. I agree with op that this should be a wake up call for her.

This said, I am not sure if fat shaming really works for people who never blame themselves. Reminds me of my boyfriend's cousin's wife. The cousin likes skinny women and the wife gained at least 200lb after marriage. She attacked every skinny girls and viewed them as potential enemies. She never tried to lose the weight. Well, the way I see it? She can ask the husband, "How come you don't love me unconditionally anymore." That is more productive than blaming the skinny girls. lol

Until she wanted to lose the weight for HERSELF, she would just keep on blaming other people. Society should never reward bad behaviors by even giving her any attention. Her so called case should be tossed out.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:02 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
The way I see it, is they were screwed either way.

One, if they happened to drop her and she was injured she would have sued the dog snot out of them.
Two, they refused to accommodate so she is suing the dog snot out of them.

I went on a couple of cruises with work, I work with developmentally disabled folks.
We have a guy we call Little Man. He's big, not morbidly obese but big, and very strong and powerful.

He can walk, with a walker and we make him from time to time. To and from the bus (in the driveway) and mostly around the house. But 95% of his life is spent in a wheelchair. Like around school and when we go on outings he's in his chair.

When I say make, you must understand that independence and mobility for the Handi-Capable is a huge part in what I do.
Sometimes it's not easy, and we must push because it's very easy to lose that very mobility that gives one needed independence.
And believe me when I say, it's hard for us to watch them struggle, it simply must be done.

We had to take a Tender once, and the Seas were extremely rough. That tender was rocking, the stairs were rocking.. I didn't want to go down them. We were determined not to leave someone with a caregiver on the ship. these two strapping island boys came on the ship and were determined that little man and a care giver were not left behind.

So my little 5 foot boss, if even that and these two strapping guys made it happen. Little man with support walked down those rocking stairs, one at a time, a foot in front of the other.

Sometimes concessions can be made, things can be made to happen.
In our very litigious society, it will never happen.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:49 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
And people sue when the skinny 10 yo slips out of the same harness designed to hold someone weighing 400 lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies