Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:27 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Middle and upper middle class kids (parents with high five and low six figure incomes) end up with a bill which is significant relative to their parents assets if covered by them and their own future earnings if they aren't set on medicine/law/programming/finance. Some lower ranked schools (generally ones that are somewhat competitive and want to be more so but far less than the ivies themselves) offer academic full rides or deep scholarships specifically to nab academically elite students of this background from the ivies.

The money that Harvard and Yale provide is not "academic" full ride, it's "need" based. It is a no brainer for those from poor and working class backgrounds but the lower end of the upper-middle class - which also produces a disproportionate amount of the strongest students - gets kind of screwed and going to an ivy does not make sense except as a consumption good or if you want to go into consulting or banking.
I understand need based. Thats why I wrote if you don't have the money. I think the cutoff point for need based is family income less than $65k. From $65k to $150k its up to 10% of income to be paid. And you still might qualify for financial aid above $150k.

Bottom line - if accepted at Harvard, GO. Best deal there is academically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 01:55 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
When your schools are only open for 4 days a week, they need more money to work.
But an Oklahoma state rep said it doesn't matter how many days a week a school is open. A school open only one day a week could be better than a school open 7 days a week. And so with reps who think that way, it's no wonder Oklahoma teachers will probably go on strike on April 2.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Why turn down Harvard or Yale? They are "academic full-ride" if you are accepted and don't have the money to go.
And if you aren't below the 65k household income cutoff up to around the 200k income level where the help fully phases out then it can still be pricey where for some majors a degree from those schools carries no more weight than others. (I have 2 friends that went to Yale and I consulted them prior to this decision.) Soooo...40k a year vs. 10k a year....for boasting rights? Ummmm.....no.

Lastly, just to be clear, it's a FULL RIDE and it's not an academic full-ride, it's strictly income based and was instituted to build up their sports teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Turned down Harvard and Yale.

Sure.

Yet I sure seem to know a lot about the topic.....lol....you should try that yourself, on any topic. I've yet to see it....

Old 03-19-2018, 09:09 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,660 times
Kansas schools are horrible. I have lived in Kansas for 48 years and education standards have went way down. Just last week another student's progress report was sent home with my son's IEP. They can't even read,apparently. Total incompetence.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:35 AM

37,183 posts, read 19,179,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Why is it so hard for folks to stay focused on this forum?

We're talking about Kansas and the here and now.

Kansas citizens decided to cut taxes. One of the consequences was less money for schools.
Sam Brownback and his goons have all but destroyed Kansas. I'm surprised they didn't close the schools altogether to give the money to the wealthiest people in the state.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:08 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Sam Brownback and his goons have all but destroyed Kansas. I'm surprised they didn't close the schools altogether to give the money to the wealthiest people in the state.
I live in Missouri. Our governor is trying to follow Kansas and Oklahoma to the bottom.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:05 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,233,172 times
Money isn't the problem in Kansas. In the mid 1990's a court ruled that the Kansas City School District would get 1.6 BILLION dollars to reform and improve education. It was a total boondoggle. Not only did test scores and graduation rates remain low, but the money was spent on luxuries:

"Under Clark's desegregation plan, the district didn't just tear down decaying old schools and replace them with new shells. Among the amenities in the new magnet schools were an Olympic-size swimming pool with an underwater viewing room, a robotics lab, professional quality recording, television and animation studios, theaters, a planetarium, arboretum, zoo, a mock court with a judge's chamber and jury deliberation room and a model United Nations with simultaneous language translation.

Missouri taxpayers were appalled and angry. At one point, complained state Atty. Gen. Jay Nixon, the district couldn't account for 23,000 items, including TV sets, CD players, bookcases, office furniture and (temporarily) a baby grand piano. The district spent $40,000 for a display case for a high school that had no trophies. Nixon charged that 44% of the entire state budget for elementary and secondary education was going to just the 9% of the state's students who lived in Kansas City and St. Louis.
"

Kansas City Proves Money Isn't the Answer : Schools: The $1.6 billion spent hasn't reversed the downward trend because good teachers were not the priority. - latimes

Old 03-19-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Participation adjusted ACT scores....KS #12, MO #16, SC #27

https://blog.prepscholar.com/average...icipation-rate

<Warning from the Surgeon General: Link contains actual information and statistics not twisted to present a biased partisan talking point. Clicking on said link may cause sadness, hysteria, cries of fake news or need for a safe space.>

Old 03-19-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Kansas schools are horrible. I have lived in Kansas for 48 years and education standards have went way down. Just last week another student's progress report was sent home with my son's IEP. They can't even read,apparently. Total incompetence.
Let's recap.

Generalization. Unsupported claim. Meaningless anecdote. Ditto. Unfounded conclusion.

P.S. Perhaps the kid is new to English or if they were including them with IEP's that they give out IEP's to kids that are high functioning as well as those with mental handicaps.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:50 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah when the state gets money through theft and doesn't have to worry about profit/loss/performance, the money it swipes is misallocated/wasted/stolen without consequence and it will just look to steal more...the excuse its "for the kids", will likely be used in this case.
Privatization is the answer.
No it isn't, because then poor families and working class families wouldn't be able to get their children educated 😒
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies