Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:30 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Ironically, your post demonstrates exactly why police need unions. Until you've been a police officer, you will never understand the stresses they have to deal with. They are forced to make split-second, life-and-death decisions. They're human and will make mistakes. Your plan to boot anyone who makes a mistake off of the job will result in the ranks of police forces across the country to be severely depleted. Of course, there are bad apples and it is appalling how many times some officers are disciplined before being fired, but to suggest that 1 mistake results in termination is ridiculous.

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but imagine how you'd feel in you knew you would lose your job for making 1 mistake.

He would blame someone else for his mistake.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:31 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Koch brothers are a pittance compared to the Democrat donations my public sector unions, and Soros backed groups.

The Koch Bros. are number eight on this list. Add up all the Dem donors, mostly unions, and Soros. They dwarf Koch.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php
Then you should agree with me to get big money out of politics.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:34 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Koch brothers are a pittance compared to the Democrat donations my public sector unions, and Soros backed groups.

The Koch Bros. are number eight on this list. Add up all the Dem donors, mostly unions, and Soros. They dwarf Koch.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php
My Point , thanks.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:38 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Why are Police even allowed to have unions? All it does is allow cops that have had multiple infractions to keep on keeping on. Given just how dangerous they are it's ridiculous that they can continually indiscriminately beat/kill people and get off with hardly any issue. How many times has a cop only gotten in trouble after about a dozen reprimands for inappropriate behavior? Were I in charge, just one would be enough to have them kicked off the force and working at McDonald's at best.
I am not a fan of unions overall but the main purpose of unions in regards to the police is for collective bargaining. If you want to give other city or county employees collective bargaining rights the police should not be excluded.

If a police officer is accused of misconduct they have due process. The most the union does in that scenario is provide legal assistance. There are also organizations like the FOP that can provide funds for officers in these situations so getting rid of unions in regards to the police changes nothing.

If a particular police department simply sweeps any instances of police misconduct under the rug that is a whole different issue of corruption and could happen with or without unions.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 03-18-2018 at 07:47 AM..

Old 03-18-2018, 07:40 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
The right hates public employee unions, except for police unions.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:52 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The right hates public employee unions, except for police unions.
No, I hate them also. They allow police to do things that would get regular citizens arrested. Instead the cops get "reassigned" until the issue blows over. They keep full salaries, benefits, and pensions.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:10 PM

272 posts, read 217,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Ironically, your post demonstrates exactly why police need unions. Until you've been a police officer, you will never understand the stresses they have to deal with. They are forced to make split-second, life-and-death decisions. They're human and will make mistakes. Your plan to boot anyone who makes a mistake off of the job will result in the ranks of police forces across the country to be severely depleted. Of course, there are bad apples and it is appalling how many times some officers are disciplined before being fired, but to suggest that 1 mistake results in termination is ridiculous.

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but imagine how you'd feel in you knew you would lose your job for making 1 mistake.
But look at it this way: In most other jobs you could just punch a co-worker and instantly fired, yet time and time again we see cops beating the crap out of people and just getting a reprimand or such.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:40 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Why are Police even allowed to have unions? All it does is allow cops that have had multiple infractions to keep on keeping on. Given just how dangerous they are it's ridiculous that they can continually indiscriminately beat/kill people and get off with hardly any issue. How many times has a cop only gotten in trouble after about a dozen reprimands for inappropriate behavior? Were I in charge, just one would be enough to have them kicked off the force and working at McDonald's at best.
How many cops in your family?

Two in mine.

Unions are a good thing for high risk workers.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:03 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Yep, unions make it so it's cheaper to keep dangerous or incompetent police officers (accepting the risk of huge lawsuits) than to fire them.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:27 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
But look at it this way: In most other jobs you could just punch a co-worker and instantly fired, yet time and time again we see cops beating the crap out of people and just getting a reprimand or such.
There are a million law enforcement professionals in the US. Only a very small percentage do the wrong thing. Even the youtube videos that get wide attention are usually taken out of context or edited to make the cops look bad.

But those sorts of videos stir up the ignorant masses.

Being a police officer is a difficult dangerous job. They deserve representation.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 03-19-2018 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies