Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 05:57 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
With Easter fast approaching it is important to point out that we saw this same paradigm in the story of The Ten Commandments.

When Moses goes up to the mountain to speak with God the Israelites down below become restless waiting for his return. Even though they have seen the clear power of God they are worried that their leader has abandoned them and that they will starve without a God or their leader who God speaks through.

In their panic they demand that Aaron make them a new idol, a golden god. Moses eventually returns to the mayhem with the commandments after 40 days and 40 nights.

Fear did the Israelites in. At one point they even suggest turning around and going back to the bondage of pharaoh.

I'm not a religious person at all but the story is very powerful. It illustrates the psychology behind the human constructs of security and order.

Today, the State is the ultimate religion. It is where people who know better and who wouldn't live as the State lives (stealing, raping, robbing, killing) find comfort.

All it takes is bravery and a little faith in yourself to break the cycle. My hope is we get there one day.
Hadn't thought of that example before. I think most people will look to someone else for that comfort instead of themselves, which sounds bad at first, but I don't think it is. I've said before that you just need to get enough respected public figures on board with the idea, and things will follow from there. The average person doesn't need to learn the philosophy or economics behind it, because they don't even understand the philosophy or economics behind statism. They learn from people they trust, and a lot of those people are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 06:11 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's funny.

We are considered boat rockers. We are the trouble makers. F the establishment!

Yet I don't have the energy or even desire to really give a rat's behind on so much stuff I would voluntarily agree to it would change my daily life hardly at all.

I think our detractors honestly believe we are pushing for this so we can run red lights. I'm not kidding. They think we would get a kick out of it or something.

I'm not going to rape. I'm not going to kill. I'm not going to scream in the street at 3 am waking everybody up. Involuntary police or not.

I have no incentive to and I want nice things for myself. Why the hell would I scream like a maniac at 3 am in the street when I would wake up the roofer that puts shingles on my roof? Do you think this SOB is going to want to deal with me after his sleepy ass has a crappy day at work because I'm a nut?

Come on statists! I'm losing it!

Hahaha exactly, which is why it's odd when people have said things like "I'm curious what your experience has been that makes you feel so oppressed". It's not a feeling, it's a conclusion based on logic and reasoning. I don't hold views based on my personal feelings. My views have changed because I was disproven and I accepted the better argument... and then we get those same disproven arguments repeated back to us ad nauseum...

It doesn't feel like a big issue most of the time, but that makes it even worse - it's the whole concept of inconveniencing people, but not enough where they'll do anything about it, and then over time they're conditioned to accept it, and then you push a little more every generation. People need to recognize that, and realize that their current comfort will backfire if they don't put up resistance.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:15 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Hadn't thought of that example before. I think most people will look to someone else for that comfort instead of themselves, which sounds bad at first, but I don't think it is. I've said before that you just need to get enough respected public figures on board with the idea, and things will follow from there. The average person doesn't need to learn the philosophy or economics behind it, because they don't even understand the philosophy or economics behind statism. They learn from people they trust, and a lot of those people are wrong.
We are fighting public school indoctrination. Religious indoctrination. Parental indoctrination (the big push to get violence out of child discipline is very important IMO).

And it's done for years and years when the brain is developing. It took me roughly 35 years to get there. I can't believe it now that it took that long but looking back...considering all the obstacles I just mentioned...I'm just grateful it happened.

I wish there was a singular way for it to click with people but I don't think there really is. Some of the more powerful moments for me were realizing that I can't simply outsource something I'm not willing to do myself (rob, kill, generally bully at gunpoint) and that individuals can't give a collective a power that they don't have on their own as individuals.

Once that became clear I was unable to "go back". I would try and try again to see if there was a way to break the wall and go back but logically and morally...as you know...there isn't a loophole.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:19 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Hahaha exactly, which is why it's odd when people have said things like "I'm curious what your experience has been that makes you feel so oppressed". It's not a feeling, it's a conclusion based on logic and reasoning. I don't hold views based on my personal feelings. My views have changed because I was disproven and I accepted the better argument... and then we get those same disproven arguments repeated back to us ad nauseum...

It doesn't feel like a big issue most of the time, but that makes it even worse - it's the whole concept of inconveniencing people, but not enough where they'll do anything about it, and then over time they're conditioned to accept it, and then you push a little more every generation. People need to recognize that, and realize that their current comfort will backfire if they don't put up resistance.
You're starting to sound like Jordan Peterson more and more...which is a good thing.

I've been watching his videos on YouTube a lot lately. The way he simply goes from A to B to C without any pride or prejudice...just logical and moral consistency...is a thing of beauty. It's no wonder everyone hates him on the far statist Right and far statist Left.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:54 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The country was created based on conservative revolt against the tyranny.

How exactly do you figure this?

(and to be clear, I'm objecting to your assertion that the revolution was "conservative")

Old 03-24-2018, 07:32 PM

37,177 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
How does that punish the poor?

Today the poor pays no taxes and receives all the benefits. Is that moral, fair or just?
Yes.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:56 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
How does that punish the poor?

Today the poor pays no taxes and receives all the benefits. Is that moral, fair or just?
Yes, it is, because they are poor. I'm sure you'd rather have our poor live like the poor of Brazil or India.....

Old 03-25-2018, 02:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You just traded a representative form of government so everybody could become Banana Republicans who have to overthrow their enemies to maintain their grip on power. Considerably messier, and no big improvement IMHO, although it might be entertaining to watch for a while.

I think it should be tried out by floating a reality show based on anarchists surviving in the wild with nothing but their half wits as weapons.
That thought has occurred to me more than once. Actually, when I consider the whole notion, the way people treated each other on "Survivor" is one of the first things that comes to mind.

I don't dislike AnCaps. In fact, there are a couple on here I'm rather fond of. I just think they are a bit too optimistic about human nature, and it takes a bit of doing to make me feel like the cynic in the room.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 03-25-2018 at 02:39 AM..

Old 03-25-2018, 04:07 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
^^Fake news
And what facts support your opinion?

Old 03-25-2018, 04:11 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
"Wealth Equality?"

If money really cured poverty, let us give everyone 22 billion billion quatloos, making them “Set for life,” with more than they can ever spend. What happens if no one bothers to go to work, labor, manufacture, transport, and trade? Even the starving children are phenomenally wealthy.
Civilization collapses.

D'Oh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies