Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 01:58 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
For those who are actually old enough to be alive during that time, what was the public opinion during the Nixon investigations?

Were people defending him the same way they are defending Trump today saying to call off the investigations? After resignation, did those attitudes change at all?
Trump is not guilty of any wrongdoing. After 14 months, he or his campaign have not been found to have "colluded" with the Russians (and that was the whole point of the "investigation" ...remember?).

There is no comparing this to Watergate, unless you are talking about what Hillary and the Democrats did. Then you have a case, and this is far worse than Watergate. In the course of Mueller's "investigation," we have learned of numerous violations of law by the investigators themselves, including the illegally obtained FISA warrants which allowed them to syp on Trump, his campaign and even private citizens. It revealed a plot to ensure that Donald Trump never became President, and if he did, a plot to do whatever was necessary to get him removed from office.

And, for the record, I was in my mid 20's during the Watergate investigation. I remember it well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 02:03 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
LOL! The OP makes me feel ancient since I was around for the Nixon debacle. Anyhow...

eddie gein and Old Gringo pretty much nailed it. The fairness doctrine did much to make sure that the public heard both sides on political issues. Nowadays people can tune into their favorite propaganda machines - on BOTH the left and the right - and thus avoid hearing the full story. It seems that very few are willing to go to the effort of clicking on something besides MSNBC or Fox and thus become information illiterates in the time of the so-called "information highway" brought to us courtesy the Internet. How ironic is that?

The Country was still deeply divided by the Vietnam war in '73-74, but the reporting of Nixon's dirty tricks caused many if not most of his supporters turn against him. We the people, wanted him GONE, and for once Congress agreed with us. I was taking my final exams when Nixon gave his resignation speech, and I remember our professor asking us if we wanted to hear what Nixon was saying and we all voted "yes." It was a relief to be done with him. Very few wanted him to stay on.

Also, the Republican party (and Democrats) back then was still interested in what was best for the nation, not just themselves and their buddies from Goldman Sachs and Exxon.
I was watching on live TV the day Nixxon climbed into the helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House, turned around and flashed the ridiculous double victory (peace) sign one last time, and flew off into the sunset. Good riddance.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:08 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
For those who are actually old enough to be alive during that time, what was the public opinion during the Nixon investigations?

Were people defending him the same way they are defending Trump today saying to call off the investigations? After resignation, did those attitudes change at all?

After all the misdeeds and the cover-up were revealed, there seemed no doubt on the part of almost everyone, that Nixon would be gone from office and soon. Members of his own party faced reality and were ready to complete the impeachment, if he hadn't resigned. There was no self-destructive denial by his supporters, as we're seeing today, with this monstrosity of malfeasance, who is 100 times worse.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Nixxon resigned after a true conservative, Barry Goldwater, showed him the writing on the wall.
Meh, don’t get carried away. Goldwater and Nixon never really liked each other anyway. Moreover, Goldwater went to the White House with Hugh Scott and Jack Rhodes...two other Congressional Republicans.

Furthermore, all they told Nixon is that he lacked Congressional support in Congress. That’s it. Not one of those three men said a word to Nixon about his need to take a hike....something that they SHOULD have said and said long before Nixon actually resigned.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:52 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Well, the country got to see on live tv people who cared more about the nation than their own reelection or their party. I never had the impression that the Republicans were protecting Nixon like they do Trump. Howard Baker and Lowell Weicher were great to see at the hearings. We have a severe shortage of statesmen these days.

Pretzelogik, I'll loan you my copy of A Texan Looks at Lyndon. He may have been a SOB, but he had sense enough to not broadcast it.

I was in Texas and Missouri so everybody i knew was supporting Nixon. I came home from voting. I had no idea until I had to turn the lever who i would vote for. DD asked who i voted for, i said McGovern. She said i was a communist. The talk at her middle school was pretty much pro Nixon.

IMO, the Republicans who went to tell Nixon were ones he could take that kind of news from.

IIRC, Nixon still had about 1/3 of the country the day he resigned.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:02 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
The big difference today is news is a lot more polarized and people are able to crawl further and further into the recesses of the Internet to find something that fits their narrative. Even just outright lie and fabricate.

With 24/7 access to whatever you want to hear and believe it becomes harder to break down the wall of cognitive dissonance.

You could have complete and total evidence of wrong doing and there would still be a healthy 20% or so that wouldn't budge from their support.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:27 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I recall everyone around me thinking that the business of "accidentally erasing" part of the tape by some stretch across the room was just ridiculous.
Yeah, I remember that picture of Rose Mary Woods. It was ridiculous.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:47 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Russia meddling in our election. The United States meddling in elections all around the planet. What is the freaking difference? And the Russians were doing as much meddling for Clinton as they were for Trump. If Clinton won would Mueller's investigation being going on trying to uncover Hillary's collusion with them? We aren't all stupid.
I have read this sorry excuse for Russian meddling before and I really wonder about the people who try to use it. Whose side are you really on - Russia or the United States?

It's like saying at the time of 9/11 "The US has been bombing other countries all around the planet from Vietnam to Kuwait. What is the freaking difference?"

Are you posting from St. Petersburg?

The difference is that the United States is OUR country and the elections are OUR elections not those of a foreign power which has long been an enemy of the United States.

I am amazed that I should have to point this out to someone who is an American. If you feel so deeply about US meddling then write a letter to your congressperson about it. Don't advocate that we should surrender to our enemies.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:55 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
The biggest difference between then and now, Trump has business ties with foreign governments Nixon didn't. Nixon was investigated for political foul play. Trump is investigated for interference by an anti-American foreign government which he has business relations with.

Big difference.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:01 PM

57,280 posts, read 26,206,502 times
The committee wanted to get at the truth, the impressive part of the effort particularly the hearings was the cooperation and leadership by republicans that put politics aside. Quite different today to say the least, Watergate was a dark moment and also a proud point in our history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies