Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 02:04 PM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Except their definition of a "major shortage" is not having so many home grown STEM graduates that they'll viciously compete for $15/hr.
Yes, exactly.

Here’s some advice for all of you high schoolers out there: if someone tells you that there’s a shortage of X, so you should go into X, run like hell in the opposite direction.

There’s always a labor shortage, according to the people who benefit from saturated labor markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 02:41 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Do any of you have college age kids?
I had a college age kid. She's 34 now. She went to college and got a worthless degree. The college she went to, which was a state schools, got called on the carpet for making it appear more selective than it was.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:37 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Benefits the students

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Have to say HUGE KUDOS to this college. Increase things employers employers will pay for.

http://www.marketwatch.com/Story/thi...of2&yptr=yahoo
Upfront it appears to be limiting to the student but post-graduation, it benefits the students because instead of a low-paying field, they'll earn a degree in a field where they can make a decent living. I think a lot of English and history majors go into teaching whether primary, secondary, or higher ed. The pay in the teaching profession for English, History, and Art in many districts are so-so. Meanwhile the cost of the education (and student loan to pay back) to get that degree was expensive.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
This is a stupid move. Colleges were built on the Liberal Arts. University education was ESTABLISHED on the liberal arts.

Only in America where our population has become frighteningly anti intellectual is this looked at as a great thing. Language, philosophy, law, history, the social and physical sciences, literature...these are all honorable subjects to get degrees in. When added to a Master’s or PhD, they have extremely high upsides that lead to rewarding careers.

I’m proud to be a liberal arts major. Thank goodness that I didn’t listen to fools that said I should change my major. Folks can say what they want, but Liberal Arts majors run this world.

There’s no such thing as a worthless degree. It’s what you make of it that’s important. Stevens Point is making a big mistake.

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 03-19-2018 at 05:19 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 05:07 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I had a college age kid. She's 34 now. She went to college and got a worthless degree. The college she went to, which was a state schools, got called on the carpet for making it appear more selective than it was.
What is she doing now?

Old 03-20-2018, 05:18 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is a stupid move. Colleges were built on the Liberal Arts. University education was ESTABLISHED on the liberal arts.

Only in America where our population has become frighteningly anti intellectual is this looked at as a great thing. Language, philosophy, law, history, the social and physical sciences, literature...these are all honorable subjects to get degrees in. When added to a Master’s or PhD, they have extremely high upsides that lead to rewarding careers.

I’m proud to be a liberal arts major. Thank goodness that I didn’t listen to fools that said I should change my major. Folks can say what they want, but Liberal Arts majors run this world.

There’s no such thing as a worthless degree. It’s what you make of it that’s important. Stevens Point is making a big mistake.
Every state should have some colleges that teach this stuff, yes including gender and ethnic studies. Call them the keepers of the culture universities. The majority of colleges and universities should have one mission: Pumping out maximum number of employable people with additional value to their future employers at the lowest possible cost to the students and lowest reasonable overhead.

You speak of your Liberal arts degree
Let me ask a silly question. You make.
A Under 40K
B 40-60K
C 60-80K
D 80-150K
E Evil rich guy laugh

(Im guessing C maybe low D. You seem to have a well above median IQ and write well and seem to "argue" here in a fairly understandable manner. Even tho you disagree with me which makes you wrong. Note IQ can make up for a myriad of things and make marginal things like a lesser demanded degree work better.)

Old 03-20-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Every state should have some colleges that teach this stuff, yes including gender and ethnic studies. Call them the keepers of the culture universities. The majority of colleges and universities should have one mission: Pumping out maximum number of employable people with additional value to their future employers at the lowest possible cost to the students and lowest reasonable overhead.

You speak of your Liberal arts degree
Let me ask a silly question. You make.
A Under 40K
B 40-60K
C 60-80K
D 80-150K
E Evil rich guy laugh

(Im guessing C maybe low D. You seem to have a well above median IQ and write well and seem to "argue" here in a fairly understandable manner. Even tho you disagree with me which makes you wrong. Note IQ can make up for a myriad of things and make marginal things like a lesser demanded degree work better.)
I make a living. I don’t discuss money here.

That said, I don’t think it’s the job of universities to worry about placing people in the job market. Their job is to provide a proper, well rounded education. Just my opinion.

If you want job training, go to trade school or community college.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:40 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
High schools do the same. All these educators tend to trend liberal which means they see jobs like electricians, welders, plumbers, etc. to be "beneath" them even though many of them pay good money, so they always promote degrees in things like nursing which leaves kids missing out on a great opportunity to make good money while not working for someone else.
These days, nurses make good money. Starting wage for a nurse here in Phoenix is $30/hr

Old 03-20-2018, 06:48 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I'm always hearing that companies have to hire H1Bs because we have a major shortage of such home grown graduates.
There definitely isn't a shortage in the hard sciences or mathematics.

Engineering is a mixed bag. There's a shortage in computer science, but not in the traditional engineering disciplines like mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, etc.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
There definitely isn't a shortage in the hard sciences or mathematics.

Engineering is a mixed bag. There's a shortage in computer science, but not in the traditional engineering disciplines like mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, etc.
My niece just got degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Biomedical Engineering.

Biomedical is burning hot right now. The starting salaries are absurdly high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies