Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 01:25 AM

38 posts, read 33,988 times

Advertisements

I have a gross misdemeanor conviction from 4 years ago. I've had numerous job offers and apartments fall through because of it.

Credit checks too are becoming more and more common for housing and employment. So basically if you have bad credit we don't want to help you try to get out if it. And if you have any kind of criminal conviction oh we also don't want to help you in any way put that behind you.

So you end up with a system that keeps people down essentially, forcing them to take ****ty jobs if they can even get that, and live in a ****ty neighborhood with a ****ty landlord. Or worse, be jobless and homeless.

You can of course luck out on both the job and housing front but you're entirely dependent on someone giving you a chance. For a society that is supposed to pride itself on individual upward mobility, it seems odd that we put the fate of millions essentially into the generous hands of someone else who has to "give them a chance."

I feel like if someone has paid their dues for their crimes and are a free person, no one should be able to hold their past against them, as it will just keep people stuck with their past instead of allowing them to move forward.

On the credit front, I understand a low credit score can be a good predictor, but if someone can show you their income and have a good rental history and references, I don't see why a credit score should prevent someone from getting housing, and especially a job, as they need that job to improve their credit.

Background is treated as an automatic exclusionary force unless you find someone who is understanding. It shouldn't be that way.

I honestly think these systems already are essentially a social credit system in the US, with the result of extreme economic segregation that often falls along racial lines. I can't even imagine being a black person with a felony on their record.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:23 AM

39,195 posts, read 27,570,476 times
I agree with you.

My mother hired several people with criminal records and they happened to be the best employees.

This said, these people are somebody we knew our whole life. (They are ex military)

I think people should be given a second chance.

I will be honest though, if we did not know them, we would never have hired them. So this is the sad part.

I hope things get better for you.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:32 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,511,169 times
Welcome to C-D, Trishim. A decent background check would have meant Nicholas Cruz could not get a gun legally.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:46 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Welcome to C-D, Trishim. A decent background check would have meant Nicholas Cruz could not get a gun legally.
Yep. Can't have it both ways. We either have comprehensive background/credit checks for gun purchases, employment, rental housing, etc., or we don't. The entire underlying foundation is personal responsibility. Those who have been responsible will always have an advantage over those who haven't been responsible.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
The problem with BG checks is that they hold a person to their crime, long after their debt to society has been paid in full. That goes totally against what the US system of justice was designed to be.

Im not surprised so many people support them though, for some reason, its popular to give up freedom for the sake of safety or security, I really blame the growing police state and prisons mostly, its in their benefit to ensure someone that has been convicted of a crime, remains a criminal for life, what better way to achieve that than to restrict ones ability to even get a decent job? Its the perfect tool and is very effective.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:54 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The problem with BG checks is that they hold a person to their crime, long after their debt to society has been paid in full. That goes totally against what the US system of justice was designed to be.
Not at all. It's a true representative of how responsible or irresponsible one has chosen to be in one's life.

Quote:
Im not surprised so many people support them though, for some reason, its popular to give up freedom for the sake of safety or security, I really blame the growing police state and prisons mostly, its in their benefit to ensure someone that has been convicted of a crime, remains a criminal for life, what better way to achieve that than to restrict ones ability to even get a decent job? Its the perfect tool and is very effective.
Why shouldn't we be able to consider others' character before agreeing to associate with them and/or enter into a legal arrangement with them? Isn't that what MLK fought so hard for? To only judge others by the content of their character?

Old 03-20-2018, 03:29 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Nobody wants a convict living under their roof.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:30 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
The state doesnt have any right to tell individuals who they must admit into their homes or where they must work, nor should tell landlords or employers who they must rent to or hire.
Having said that, the drug war has made criminals out of people for using substances unapproved by the state and should be ended.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not at all. It's a true representative of how responsible or irresponsible one has chosen to be in one's life.

Why shouldn't we be able to consider others' character before agreeing to associate with them and/or enter into a legal arrangement with them? Isn't that what MLK fought so hard for? To only judge others by the content of their character?
When you look at the headline, it seems we had LESS problems before the days of nearly every employer doing pre-employment BG checks, how does that make any sense?

I know this for a fact actually, the company I work for does extensive pre-employment BG checks, but at the same time, we have more problems with employee theft today, than the days before BG checks were done. (1980s and 90s).

Its also not entirely representative of a persons character, an 18yr old that is convicted of something, will still have to answer for that when he applies for a job in his 50s or 60s. People are entitled to second chances, (no matter what their crime was).

Old 03-20-2018, 03:31 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,511,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You can get your record expunged, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.