Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 04:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
As I recall...the Sioux and their allies had the last word in their discussions with George Custer.
I'm hoping the lions, tigers, rhinos and elephants also have the 'last word' with Trump's hunter buddies.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:37 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Trophy hunting is regulated. We are not talking poaching here. Trophy hunting is a big part of the economy for many struggling countries in Africa. Also in Africa and in other third world countries wild animals can be a problem to people when the big cats go after live stock or a pack of hyenas start stalking and attacking people.
Trump administration quietly makes it legal to bring elephant parts to the U.S. as trophies

"The Trump administration will allow Americans to bring tusks and other elephant body parts back to this country as trophies, in a pivot away from the support President Trump voiced last year for an Obama-era trophy ban."

Yes, it's regulated, and Trump is appointing people who want to undo that.

Quote:
What about in Florida where alligators and giant snakes are causing problems?
I wouldn't group together an animal that's indigenous to Florida (gator) with an animal that's an invasive species (giant snakes/pythons/anaconda/etc).

Gator hunting was illegal in the south for a very long time until the populations came back. Now they're legal, and people hunt them. That's fine. People eat gator, people use the skin, there's plenty of them, and they're local.

Those snakes, as far as I am concerned can be eradicated entirely from Florida as they threaten the balance of complex ecosystems.

None of that really applies to animals like African elephants, no matter how you look at it.

Quote:
We cannot judge.
lol yeah, I can. And I will.

Quote:
If you want to hunt then that is your choice but follow the laws when you do. I only used examples of animals such as the coyote that is causing problems in my area.
The story, to me, isn't really about hunting. I have nothing against hunters; I grew up hunting and still go bird hunting occasionally. To me the story is about science vs peoples egos.

Quote:
Last week on Facebook a liberal friend had posted a photo of a guy next to a elephant he had shot. The caption was something about how wrong it was for this guy to lay in wait as a elephant came in and he shot it with a high powered rifle at close range to make himself feel more like a man....

What if the caption instead read "a quick thinking man with a rifle saved the local village from a rampaging elephant that had just stomped to death a young family on a picnic" He would be a hero .

In both cases that amazing noble elephant is dead.
I'm left speechless at your logic, I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
The point is we cannot judge and I stand by what I said earlier that hunters are closer to and understand nature far more than the average person that does not hunt.
Ok well, as a hunter, I think killing elephants and other threatened/endangered species for sport is bad.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:48 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,385 times
Just about everything Trump related is disgusting including this. The Trump administration is a travesty. Trump and travesty should be linked together since that's what he is. If there is a difference between right and wrong, you generally get wrong with Trump and his purview.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:50 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Swear it’s like super villain level s* right here lol

https://apnews.com/07c11b7884174e68b...trophy-hunters
So/

Old 03-20-2018, 04:52 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh no, people that actually know anything about hunting. To the safe space batman.
It's supposed to be the Wildlife Board, not the Trophy Hunting Board.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:54 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Trump Wildlife Board Stuffed With trophy Hunters

Maybe they should stuff the board.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:32 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's supposed to be the Wildlife Board, not the Trophy Hunting Board.
Would it make more sense to have PETA members on it? Trophy hunting is still legal no matter how much you, me or anyone else doesn't like it.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Swear it’s like super villain level s* right here lol

https://apnews.com/07c11b7884174e68b...trophy-hunters

Hunters are more conservationist in responsible ways than you may think. Without things to hunt, they are no longer hunters.

I go watch my deer herd and select the harvest. I kill wild Hogs when I see them and fill the freezer, while giving the rest away.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:24 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Killing animals for their meat and their hide, and knowing how to use every piece of the animal to survive -- yes that's in tune with nature.

Trophy hunting is not. Trophy hunting is just shooting something exotic or rare so you can mount it on the wall. It's vain and ethically wrong.

Population control has nothing to do with trophy hunting.

We're not talking about coyotes and deer, we're talking about lions, elephants, rhinos, some of which are threatened and endangered.
You cannot explain an emotion such as empathy to someone that does not possess it themselves.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:34 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Would it make more sense to have PETA members on it? Trophy hunting is still legal no matter how much you, me or anyone else doesn't like it.
I would just prefer a more balanced mix. There can be a few trophy hunters, but also include a few animal rights activists, and a few park rangers, a few zoologists, etc.

I wouldn't want the board to be dominated by PETA members either. Best to have people with different perspectives and backgrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies