Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was right?
Neither were right, they were both wrong 35 26.32%
Trump was right, Obama was wrong 39 29.32%
Obama was right, Trump was wrong 57 42.86%
They were both right in what they said, neither was wrong 2 1.50%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 12:09 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I like to call out when I agree too. I greyed out the last part, because I see it differently (but also acknowledge the point you're making), but to the rest, I agree 100%.

As for "You didn't build that", here is another way to look at it:

My dad and I have an ongoing 'debate' about iPhone vs Android. He likes iPhones, and I like Android (in reality, they are both great, it's just a silly thing to goad each other about).

He once made the comment that "Apple invented the Smart-phone". He went on to say how that was the single biggest technology advancement in modern history. I agreed that they introduced the smartphone, and that it had huge implications (good and bad implications, but that's not the point). But I countered that they could not have invented the smartphone if the silicone chip did not exist. If TouchScreen Technology didn't exist, if you go back far enough, if electricity had not been discovered, blah blah blah.

Without getting into who is right or wrong, it's a very interesting discussion. The point is that major inventions like the Smartphone (or the automobile, or the space-shuttle, or...._) are built upon things that already existed. They are extensions.

To say that Apple did not invent the smart-phone in a vacuum (no pun intended) is not to take credit from the huge contribution it made (good and bad) to society. It's not to take away the innovation that Apple had.

All the barbs and insults aside, I should like to think that you and I (Petch and Myghost, or everyone) should be able to find some common ground that the people who invest and build businesses have accomplished something great in most cases. Their blood, sweat and tears are such a part of the equation, that without it, their business likely would not have happened. But it's also important to recognize that they built their own success, and potentially success for others, on the backs of things that already existed. They did it by "partnering" (in some cases, that means paying another person a fair wage for their services) with people, other businesses, and even the government in the form of using infrastructure. It is not to say that our government, nor anyone or anything else, gets to take credit away from them for their accomplishment. It's just to acknowledge that that one Entrepeneur recognized a need, understood the ENTIRE landscape, and put together a business plan based on available resources, to succeed.

Could we at least agree on that?

To me, to say "You didn't build that" (with all the context that was given with that statement) is simply to acknowledge that it takes all those things coming together, and ALSO to acknowledge that the Entrepreneur often needs to be at the helm to steer the ship. TO ME, that is what Obama was getting at.
If it weren't for hard working tax paying Americans (both employees and employers) who pay taxes, gov't wouldn't have the money to build that infrastructure but politicians sure want to take credit. Politicians wants us to believe that gov't can be all to everyone, but over $20 Trillion in debt, they obviously do a bad job at doing deals and handling money.

The American people really should give themselves more credit. The tax payer pays the bill AND DEBT. Time is money and they spend our money like we have 10 life times. When gov't raises taxes on the other guy never take pleasure because gov't will always come back for more and you may be in the bulls eye for the taking the next time. "You didn't build that" was simply a geared toward his base to enforce anger toward employers so they would support gov't raising taxes on successful people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 12:10 PM

The last thing people who in power want us to understand is they need us... "just like a successful business need employees" but employees will pay what the market dictates. If there is alot of competition for job offerings, they naturally keep wages down, if they have a hard time finding employees they try to attract employees by raising wages and benefits. So it puzzles me why the left support increasing the competition in the job market (illegal immigration) because you're giving more power to employers instead of forcing employers to raise wages to attract good employees.

If Obama didn't purposely pit groups against each other in other situations I'd consider that it was not his intent but stoking negative emotions in an effort to achieve his agenda is who he is, and it is his legacy.

Obama was not a good president and you'll never convince me otherwise. He had one goal, increasing the power of gov't over the people and taking more money as long as the people didn't resist. "you didn't build that" not even an original thought (Elizabeth Warren) was simply a crafty way of gaining support of funneling more money to gov't.

Either way, the people choose their path, the path least resistant, get educated to learn to work for someone else (giving the employer power over you) or will you educate yourself, support politicians that increases competition in the job market (again, increasing power over you) or the past of higher resistance (including gov't) and "IF" you successful, you'll reap greater benefits but of course gov't who claims they built the infrastructure (omitting that the tax payer paid for it in the first place) attempts to justify taking more of the peoples money, good for the gov't, bad for the American people.

The best way to control people is to keep them broke.

Last edited by petch751; 03-22-2018 at 12:20 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 12:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The American people really should give themselves more credit. The tax payer pays the bill AND DEBT. Time is money and they spend our money like we have 10 life times. When gov't raises taxes on the other guy never take pleasure because gov't will always come back for more and you may be in the bulls eye for the taking the next time. "You didn't build that" was simply a geared toward his base to enforce anger toward employers so they would support gov't raising taxes on successful people.
Let's do the numbers again. I'll play pretend.

Let's say that you have a family of 4.
Health Care in this country costs 11K per person per year = 44K
If 2 are in school, that's 12K per = 24K
The basic costs of the Military and Security State for a decently well-off family = 10K per year
Now we need to add the other services you get from your town, city, county, state and gubment - let's throw in a low number of 5K.

So, the example family owes $83,000.00 in yearly taxes JUST TO PAY FOR THEMSELVES....

If this isn't too personal, do you average paying more than that in total taxes....over a decade or more? If not, you (and everyone else reading this) are not even paying your own fare, let alone for anyone else.

If you "only" pay 60K in taxes per year, others are paying for you.

So who should pat themselves on the back for being a taker?

Old 03-22-2018, 01:00 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So it puzzles me why the left support increasing the competition in the job market (illegal immigration) because you're giving more power to employers instead of forcing employers to raise wages to attract good employees. .
So you truly think that the owners of construction companies, massive farms, meat packing plants, hotels and restaurants are all "leftists".

Wow. Truly Wow. Do you know people who run Construction Companies? I am familiar with many. They love Trump and they love immigrants. Undocumented immigrants.

Go to Florida and visit most ANY building site. You will not hear English being spoken. I'm sure Rick Scott could round them up if his corporate owners would allow it. They won't.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

The basic costs of the Military and Security State for a decently well-off family = 10K per year
Now we need to add the other services you get from your town, city, county, state and gubment - let's throw in a low number of 5K.

So, the example family owes $83,000.00 in yearly taxes JUST TO PAY FOR THEMSELVES....

If this isn't too personal, do you average paying more than that in total taxes....over a decade or more? If not, you (and everyone else reading this) are not even paying your own fare, let alone for anyone else.

Yes, lets calculate..

The left fights for illegal immigrants (no rule of law). The totalitarian mind control tactic is used on people who can be easily manipulated. "illegal alien" becomes “illegal immigrants” and then “undocumented immigrants”, presto-chango, something bad was magically transformed into something good. Dare to speak up, dare to reinstate the rule of law and the left screams bloody murder while they violins play to their base. Do you really think this doesn't effect you? And now we the tax payer are paying for them.

Last edited by petch751; 03-22-2018 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Yes, lets calculate..

Baby mama has multiple kids to multiple baby daddy's who impregnate multiple women. Everyone is on on welfare. The children pay emotionally and are told they are victims, taught to hate the taxpayer who pays for them, and become angry because they are taught "they are entitled to more'. The children grow up to continue the tradition (that's all they know), by now they have a lot of hate in their hearts. Don't dare try to do or say anything because the left screams bloody murder while they violins play to their base. These people are poor because they didn't consider the consequences but now what everyone else to pay.

What do they contribute to society in exchange for the money they get? These people don't pay but they use the roads and bridges tax payers pay for.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Yes, lets calculate..

And the people who did no planning or prep for their future, instead they would rather party, and now they have a minimum wage skillset and want to gripe that they can't afford the life of luxury. Dare try to lower taxes so they can keep more of their money and the politicians scream armageddon. They make little money, pay very little taxes but use the same roads and bridges.

Even our poor live a better life than many people in other countries but we can't fix the worlds problems or support the worlds poor but our politicians (and celebrities) are globalist. If you think for one min that Obama plea to help the poor was to help the American poor you are naive.

Last edited by petch751; 03-22-2018 at 04:11 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
So you truly think that the owners of construction companies, massive farms, meat packing plants, hotels and restaurants are all "leftists".

Wow. Truly Wow. Do you know people who run Construction Companies? I am familiar with many. They love Trump and they love immigrants. Undocumented immigrants.

Go to Florida and visit most ANY building site. You will not hear English being spoken. I'm sure Rick Scott could round them up if his corporate owners would allow it. They won't.
You support illegal immigrants, condone and have a poor mans mindset and think your going to convince me?... I have my family to take care, a future to prepare for, two sets of elderly parents to help and you want me to support people "who refused to help themselves". The best thing anyone can do for the good of society is to be able to support yourselves/families and if you can, help others, ONLY if it does not put you in a bind financially.

You never make good decisions when emotional and that's why the violin is masterfully played by politicians and the media, Nancy prefers screaming armageddon, Obama preferred stoking anger and pitting Americans against each other (division)... all used to manipulate.

You preach about what's good for society but don't practice what you preach. You want to hand too much power to the gov't which consist of "mortal" men and women, yes Obama is a mortal and as we've learned throughout history, any man or woman, any group that are given too much power will surely abuse it

...... don't bother missy, it falls on deaf ears.

Last edited by petch751; 03-22-2018 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:

Talk is cheap, rallying is cheap, it's all talk and no action. No one cares more about you than you and if you don't care enough about yourselves to build the life you want, why should others care? It's time people wise up and grow up and understand the reality. If you believe in doing what's good for society practice what you preach, less talk, less chanting, more action to do what's best for you which ironically is good for society .....

The best thing anyone can do for the good of society is to be able to support yourselves and your families, teach your kids to be self supporting instead of teaching victimhood or that gov't is the answer to their problems and ONLY if it does not put you in a financial bind in the present or in the future, only when your healthy financially and physically can you help others because you'll soon learn that people with their hands out will never be satisfied.

Yes, that's calculate!

Last edited by petch751; 03-22-2018 at 11:24 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 11:26 PM

Don't expect gov't to build the life you want for you because they can't and they won't no matter how much they take from someone else. You want to have money in the bank, quit volunteering to give so much away to a gov't that doesn't value your time or money.

Keeping more of the money you worked hard for and spend your limited time on earth to earn will NOT cause Armageddon. Hey Nancy... Armageddon is the prophesied "location" of a gathering of armies for a battle during the end times. At least use the term correctly if you must be a drama queen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies