Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was right?
Neither were right, they were both wrong 35 26.32%
Trump was right, Obama was wrong 39 29.32%
Obama was right, Trump was wrong 57 42.86%
They were both right in what they said, neither was wrong 2 1.50%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 05:29 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Lol. I was about to say the same thing. As if context is just a byproduct or something.

Should I have put in the entire text of both speeches? Trump was during the election, should I have maybe put transcripts of all the debates leading up to it? Maybe Hillary's speeches too, that's context. Obama was talking about the internet, should I put the entire history of it? (Yes, I'm being rediculous, but my pont was, and still is, that context as given by one person is by nature, biased. I chose to not give it, to use the most common "bullet" of the talking point/quotes, and to ACKNOWLEDGE IT PROACTIVELY.)

Like I already said, I called it out in my OP, mostly thinking people remember both comments, because they were both a pretty big deal at the time, and also mentioning that people could google them.

Certainly was not trying to deceive. Read my responses in this discussion, I got into it more in my responses, but wanted to keep the poll question as pure as I could. Maybe I failed? Anyway.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 05:46 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Should I have put in the entire text of both speeches? Trump was during the election, should I have maybe put transcripts of all the debates leading up to it? Maybe Hillary's speeches too, that's context. Obama was talking about the internet, should I put the entire history of it? (Yes, I'm being rediculous, but my pont was, and still is, that context as given by one person is by nature, biased. I chose to not give it, to use the most common "bullet" of the talking point/quotes, and to ACKNOWLEDGE IT PROACTIVELY.)

Like I already said, I called it out in my OP, mostly thinking people remember both comments, because they were both a pretty big deal at the time, and also mentioning that people could google them.

Certainly was not trying to deceive. Read my responses in this discussion, I got into it more in my responses, but wanted to keep the poll question as pure as I could. Maybe I failed? Anyway.....
No worries but context is EVERYTHING. I wouldn’t rely on peoples memories when the facts are fairly easy to post or link to. Maybe some folks might dispute them but don’t assume everyone would. There’s a lot of delusional folks on CD but plenty of sane ones too. Don’t let the nuts get you flummoxed.

I do remember Obama’s remark and if you just snipped it out it would look bad. But he was saying that in the broader context of all the great advantages that living in this country provides for businesses. I don’t think most folks would dispute that but if you just stated that he said “you didn’t build that” then, yah, it wouldn’t look so good even though it would be inaccurate.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:00 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Not exactly. I left it out because it can easily be searched, and no matter what I say, someone will tell me that my context is biased. I pulled up both quotes by googling them (To make sure I go them right), but felt people would discuss, and find their own citations and make their conclusions.

Since I am now in the discussion, and not on the OP anymore, I can give my response.

I voted that Obama was right, and Trump was wrong. In my opinion, both statements are really about the same subject, and just show opposite sides. Both are about "does one person make things happen, or a community?"

I feel that Obama was right. he probably said it poorly, but if you read the entire speech (the context) he was saying that nobody can claim 100% of the success of their business. The rock-star chef might be the main draw in a restaurant, but if the dishwasher can't give him clean plates to serve on, if the server can't make a pleasant experience, if the food runner can't get the medium rare steak to the table before it turns to rubber, then the restaurant can fail. (This is of course a metaphor for any business)

In my analysis, Trump feels like he can do it all, but he can't. He can't fix it alone, nor could anyone. Things happen with many variables. Obama recognizes that "it takes a village", Trump beleives that people are largely stupid, and needs a great mind like his (LOL) to nanny them along.
The problem is, you have just contradicted yourself. In the case of these two comments, context is, almost literally, everything.

Your argument that the context could be biased is absurd. It isn't your context, it's the rest of the speech, direct from the horse's mouth.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:01 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Does context matter for Trump anyway? His non-sequitur ramblings often read as random half-sentences thrown together.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:03 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Obama's message, in context, meant to unite people as a "we" and no man is an island...

Trump's message was about 'him' and 'him' only. He wasn't attempting to bring anyone together, just boost himself, as usual.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:49 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Oh, Obama was totally right. No one can succeed without everything that was already in place, in terms of both government and private businesses.

I read something interesting a while back about some town or county in the south, mired in poverty, unable to get anywhere - because they didn't have any roads. Imagine if Eisenhower hadn't decided that it was important for the federal government to get involved in building roads.

Trump, as we clearly see, isn't good at fixing much of anything. We can hope that he'll occasionally get lucky, but with his boundless ignorance, his miniscule attention span, and his penchant for alienating people, he's as useless a president as there has ever been. Supposedly he's barely literate.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:20 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Who was right? Trump (I alone can fix it) or Obama (You didn't build that)?
I was.
I voted against Hillary.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:48 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I suppose Trump's statement makes some sense if you look at Trump himself as the problem to be fixed.

In that view, yes, only Trump can fix Trump.

Just like only the left wing media could fix Obama.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:37 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
The poll needs to be changed because it was Elizabeth Warren who was wrong. Obama simply plagiarized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AMoBU7lFUA

Old 03-21-2018, 09:16 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
You know what is funny about this question?

Obama is a self made millionaire.
Trump started out with a million dollar loan from his father !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies