Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 04:45 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

This guy is totally off his rail ... pun intended ..

——-

California Gov. Jerry Brown gave a forceful defense of one of his signature projects Monday night, responding to critics of the escalating costs of the state's high-speed rail program.
"That's bull****," Brown said, at the outset of a 15-minute speech to California labor leaders at a Sacramento hotel.
Brown said the high-speed rail effort, with a newly escalated cost estimate of $77.3 billion to connect Los Angeles to San Francisco, was a small investment when compared with the scale of the California economy. Other countries such as Spain with much smaller economies, Brown said, have already built major high-speed rail lines.
"I'm so tired of all the nonsense that I read in the paper and you hear from other politicians," Brown said.
"We can do it if we have the imagination, if we have the will and we don't let these small-minded people intimidate us into lowering our expectations."

Gov. Jerry Brown curses high-speed rail critics in forceful speech to labor leaders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 05:22 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
"We can do it if we have the imagination, if we have the will and we don't let these small-minded people intimidate us into lowering our expectations."
Not many people wants to pay over 77 billion for high speed rail. Plus it won't be ready in about 10 more years

Old 03-20-2018, 05:39 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
if it's brown, flush it down.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:02 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Building a useless and expensive wall = GOOD!!!

Building a high speed rail that will actually be good for state = BAD!!!

Welcome to the stupid.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Welcome to the stupid.

Not useless if it keeps illegal alien criminals out like the ones that you know kill people on American soil.

Or you know sell drugs that end up killing people .

But we know you don’t care about “stupid” things like that .

Old 03-20-2018, 06:12 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Welcome to the stupid.

Thanks for clearing that up! The thing will cost more than 250B by the time they actually finish it. It's already projected to be $100B!!!

Even if the wall is useless it's a 20-30B cost to the entire country. The damn train is just a toy for wealthy people in LA and SF paid for by the people in this state.

I agree with uggabugga - it's just a Moonbeam boondoggle! Jerry's Folly

You'll never buy a seat on it, so I hope it makes you feel warm and fuzzy as it speeds by carrying 20 executives with subsidized tickets. We already pay $10 for every ticket bought on Amtrak. You must love paying for crap that does you no good personally. I do not.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:26 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
I bet the boring company could do it for half the cost

Old 03-20-2018, 06:34 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Dictators

Without tators.

Ca. spud missile without a guidance system. Its bound to blowup somewhere.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarian_investor View Post
A bullet train is a really good idea...China has built a huge bullet network equal to 10 times the proposed California route in the last 5-8 years.
And how much did they spend ? I’m guessing a lot less.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Thanks for clearing that up! The thing will cost more than 250B by the time they actually finish it. It's already projected to be $100B!!!

Even if the wall is useless it's a 20-30B cost to the entire country. The damn train is just a toy for wealthy people in LA and SF paid for by the people in this state.

I agree with uggabugga - it's just a Moonbeam boondoggle! Jerry's Folly

You'll never buy a seat on it, so I hope it makes you feel warm and fuzzy as it speeds by carrying 20 executives with subsidized tickets. We already pay $10 for every ticket bought on Amtrak. You must love paying for crap that does you no good personally. I do not.
20-30B...lol...yeah right.

I'll gladly ride the CA HSR, but it is getting high in cost. Partly due to land acquisition costs that keep going up, and also due to annoying litigation (seriously, stop freaking litigating this! It's over - it's happening).

I rarely drive - but I subsidize car drivers all of the time. I don't complain about it because it is for the greater good. You likely have a lot of subsidized activities in your life, and don't even realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies