Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:34 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times

Advertisements

Politics on the whole is simply sick. The state map doesn't represent the people, which is the job of a politician, to represent the people. Given the demographics of the state, the map isn't even liberally gerrymandered either. Last I checked, Dems stand to gain 1-2 seats and will still be over-represented by the GOP.

From a political standpoint, they are in the right. Give an inch, they'll take a mile. I get that. But in some of these states, how can one say that the process is working for the people. It is probably a joke in the political circle that politicians represent the people anyway.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:38 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Politics on the whole is simply sick. The state map doesn't represent the people, which is the job of a politician, to represent the people. Given the demographics of the state, the map isn't even liberally gerrymandered either. Last I checked, Dems stand to gain 1-2 seats and will still be over-represented by the GOP.

From a political standpoint, they are in the right. Give an inch, they'll take a mile. I get that. But in some of these states, how can one say that the process is working for the people. It is probably a joke in the political circle that politicians represent the people anyway.

What I find hilarious is that the same posters gleefully chortling over this have nothing to say about the gerrymandered map in Maryland, approved also by the Maryland Court of Appeals (the Supreme Court for the state), which the drawers of openly admitted was done to eliminate Republicans from Congress.

It must be ok then.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:42 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What I find hilarious is that the same posters gleefully chortling over this have nothing to say about the gerrymandered map in Maryland, approved also by the Maryland Court of Appeals (the Supreme Court for the state), which the drawers of openly admitted was done to eliminate Republicans from Congress.

It must be ok then.
Nope, it's not okay with me. I'm in Illinois and there are some really egregious examples of gerrymandering in this state as well. It's a problem in many states across the country that needs to be fixed. And I say that for all the districts that are gerrymandered to the Democrat's favor as well.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:46 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Quote:

It must be ok then.
That would be off topic, and says nothing about whether it is OK. I guess you are really easily amused.

I oppose gerrymandering from either party, but have no say in what happens in other states. In PA, the court ruling is acceptable, but needs to be followed by a legislative fix, preferably a non-partisan one. A bi-partisan solution would only be a chance for more political backroom dealing.

The republicans have the votes in the house and senate to carry out impeachment. Once upon a time, I would have scoffed at the possibility that they actually would, but my days of scoffing at political dysfunction are over. What I will say is that every representative who has signed onto this bill is seeking to erode checks and balances. I shudder to think of the consequences as they go forward.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:

It must be ok then.
What I find hilarious is people pointing out other instances that should be condemned while not condemning the incident actually under discussion.
Want to talk about Maryland? Start a new thread.

For the record: gerrymandering is wrong. Doesn't matter where it is taking place.

It is astounding to me that anyone would defend it anywhere.
I hope the good people of Pennsylvania see this for the blatant power grab that it is.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
That would be off topic, and says nothing about whether it is OK. I guess you are really easily amused.

I oppose gerrymandering from either party, but have no say in what happens in other states. In PA, the court ruling is acceptable, but needs to be followed by a legislative fix, preferably a non-partisan one. A bi-partisan solution would only be a chance for more political backroom dealing.

The republicans have the votes in the house and senate to carry out impeachment. Once upon a time, I would have scoffed at the possibility that they actually would, but my days of scoffing at political dysfunction are over. What I will say is that every representative who has signed onto this bill is seeking to erode checks and balances. I shudder to think of the consequences as they go forward.
This, exactly. After November, 2016, we can never again claim something that seems completely improbable can never happen and therefore just laugh it off. I would hope we learned that lesson.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What I find hilarious is people pointing out other instances that should be condemned while not condemning the incident actually under discussion.
Want to talk about Maryland? Start a new thread.

For the record: gerrymandering is wrong. Doesn't matter where it is taking place.

It is astounding to me that anyone would defend it anywhere.
I hope the good people of Pennsylvania see this for the blatant power grab that it is.
I haven't defended anything. Just pointed out the hypocrisy of celebrating one instance and accepting another. Where do you stand on that by the way? I can guess from your response.

The fact that someone filed a bill means exactly nothing. Do you have any idea how many going nowhere bills are filed every year in every legislature, including the US Congress, that go exactly nowhere?

Old 03-21-2018, 08:54 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Quote:
I haven't defended anything. Just pointed out the hypocrisy of celebrating one instance and accepting another. Where do you stand on that by the way? I can guess from your response.

The fact that someone filed a bill means exactly nothing. Do you have any idea how many going nowhere bills are filed every year in every legislature, including the US Congress, that go exactly nowhere?
Who has said they accept Maryland's map?

Old 03-21-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Who has said they accept Maryland's map?
Don't see much criticism of it. In fact, only one poster in this thread did so. Another basically told me to shut up and you deflected.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Don't see much criticism of it. In fact, only one poster in this thread did so. Another basically told me to shut up and you deflected.
The only one deflecting here is you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies