Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 03:31 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Lots and lots of assertions here. Could you link to some credible evidence that this is a wide issue?
You can google, too, can't you?

Here's a starting point for you:

https://www.cnbc.com/id/49110815

You must have missed the stories that came out a few years back when AL and GA cracked down on illegals. The lamestream media found some whining farmers who lost their illegals. Never once did the so-called reporters ask them why they didn't use the guest worker visa. Bland Farms in GA uses this program. They had no problems getting their onions harvested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 03:34 PM

62,870 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Way to miss and prove the point. BTW, I wrote "cheap labor," not illegal. The legal low wage visas are a part of the system too.

The topic states that Trump's policies were causing crops to rot in the fields. He is cracking down on illegal immigration so why would you be referring to legal immigration? Why would legal visa holders picking crops have anything to fear?

Old 03-21-2018, 03:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What question did I supposedly weasel out of? What quote of Hillary's am I supposedly citing?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ould-make.html

Quote:
By the way, your link wouldn't download on my computer.
It's not a download. Reset your wireless router or something.

Here, I'll post a fair-use excerpt:

Quote:
By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Monday, May 22, 2017

The nexus of illegal immigration into the U.S. has shifted away from the southwest border and into the country’s air and sea ports, where more than 54 million visitors checked in last year — and nearly 630,000 of them didn’t go home, according to new numbers released Monday.

Known as visa overstays, the visitors present a different challenge than the border crossers, and one that Homeland Security officials are still trying to figure out how to handle.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Again, do you have a source that supports this, or are we just speculating?

Or are you going to tell me "what difference does it make?" again?

I suggest you stop being a smarta** and talk in a civil tone.

Illegal Immigration a $113 Billion a Year Drain on U.S. Taxpayers | Federation for American Immigration Reform

Old 03-21-2018, 03:41 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The problem is that our whole economic systen depends on cheap labor. Without cheap labor, prices will increase. This is a big problem because even most middle class people are still dealing with stagnant wages and will struggle to pay more for produce. It would be nice if we had a system where people were paid a living wage and we didn't need this cheap labor but the oligarghy depends on depressed wages for everyone but those at the top. They need to keep everyone else struggling and busy fighting with each other over stupid partisan nonsense. If average Americans would band together, we could change the world. Unfortunately, most are too busy falling for divisive issues like guns or illegals.
A well-written post. Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

How many Americans live in rural areas? Most unemployed Americans live in cities or suburbs. The nearest farms could be hours away via car. How many unemployed Americans have reliable transportation? Even if they did have reliable transportation, driving hours each day to and from work may well end up claiming all their take home pay.

Are you willing to volunteer your time and your own vehicle to drive people to the farms?

Back to that myth of expensive and rotting crops

Once again, the farmers who use the guest work program don't charge more for their produce than do the sleazy farmers who refuse to use the guest worker program and instead opt for cheap, illegal, exploitable labor.

Yet once again, if crops supposedly rot in the fields, they are crops being grown by the sleazy farmers whose illegals hightailed it out of there when a crackdown occurs.
I'm really having a hard time understanding your position, even after reading through three or four times, but this is what I'm getting from it:

1. American workers are unwilling/unable to do harvest work. (I think we're in agreement there.)

2. Farmers who use the guest worker program don't charge more for their crops than farmers who bypass the program and hire people illegally. (I'm thinking they may not know or care about the difference, only that their crop gets harvested)

3. You don't believe that crops are rotting from lack of harvest labor is actually happening. (And I don't know what to say to that, other than Alex Jones puts on a show for people like you)

Quote:
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ould-make.html

It's not a download. Reset your wireless router or something.

Here, I'll post a fair-use excerpt:

What part of "most illegal aliens in this country have been border jumpers don't you get"? I didn't say anything about what it's been like lately but the fact remains that we still have a large number of illegal aliens jumping our border and also a large number who are over staying their visas. Both problems need to be dealt with. Seems you only want to deal with the visa over stayers (if that even) but I want to deal with both. Why is that?

Old 03-21-2018, 03:42 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Aww... so you can't have your little arugula salad now? SAD!
What a weird reply.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What part of "most illegal aliens in this country have been border jumpers don't you get"?
Well, I posted a source, you didn't, and apparently nothing you click on works. I'd suggest running a scan on your machine. Some of those crackpot websites are sketchy.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I'm really having a hard time understanding your position, even after reading through three or four times, but this is what I'm getting from it:

1. American workers are unwilling/unable to do harvest work. (I think we're in agreement there.)

2. Farmers who use the guest worker program don't charge more for their crops than farmers who bypass the program and hire people illegally. (I'm thinking they may not know or care about the difference, only that their crop gets harvested)

3. You don't believe that crops are rotting from lack of harvest labor is actually happening. (And I don't know what to say to that, other than Alex Jones puts on a show for people like you)

Again, why would there be a harvest labor shortage when we have the unlimited visas for legal, foreign pickers? This bears repeating....

https://www.cnbc.com/id/49110815
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies