Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 03:00 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There are unlimited visas for legal, foreign crop pickers so why would there be a farm worker shortage? Even those who use illegal aliens (not undocumented) only pocket the profits from their cheap labor they pass little to nothing on to the consumer in lower prices. What they do pass on to the taxpayer are their enormous social costs. Also, only 2% of illegal aliens are picking crops anyway. No need to thank me for educating you.
You seem to make quite the sanctimonious assertion. Great.

Now, mind giving a credible reference for that? Can't? Won't? Bet you won't answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 03:03 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Now, mind giving a credible reference for that? Can't? Won't? Bet you won't answer.
"What difference does it make?"

Old 03-21-2018, 03:05 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Then post a link to that instead of quoting Hillary Clinton. It's not that difficult.

Hillary Clinton? I can't stand her and I'm not a Democrat. Why don't you post a link proving that most illegal aliens here are visa over stayers rather than border jumpers? You made that claim initially. The link I had doesn't work anymore but it stated that 60% are border jumpers. Either way we need to deter them at the border and crack on visa over stayers also so why are you hung up on stats anyway?

Old 03-21-2018, 03:05 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times
Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong. The only ones profiting from cheap, illegal labor are the employers who hire them while the rest of us are having to foot the bill for the social costs of illegal aliens to the tune of over $100 billion a year. Your so-called cheap price isn't so cheap after all, now is it?

Illegal immigration isn't a divisive issue it's a law issue and it's costing regular Americans dearly in so many ways.
Way to miss and prove the point. BTW, I wrote "cheap labor," not illegal. The legal low wage visas are a part of the system too.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Hillary Clinton? I can't stand her and I'm not a Democrat.
You weaseled out of a question with one of her most infamous one-liners, though. I can understand why you're not wanting to see the resemblance.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...l-immigration/

Old 03-21-2018, 03:11 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
One of them actually put out postings for "hard-working Americans" to pick fruit. Nobody showed.

Repeating what I posted on page 1 because you really need to read it.

Just because you can find desperate illegals with no rights and underpay them doesn't mean it's right or that people unwilling to work long, hard hours with no overtime, unsafe conditions etc. are the problem.

What we have here is similar to what became the impetus for the formation of modern unions. Except in this case, they're illegals so no need to worry about that pesky problem.

I guess if I can get some lady from Guatemala to live in my house and cook and clean for $5/day it's ok because I can't find an American to do the same job for $5/day.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You seem to make quite the sanctimonious assertion. Great.

I certainly can and will!

https://www.cnbc.com/id/49110815

https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/...yths-debunked/

Old 03-21-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Repeating what I posted on page 1 because you really need to read it.

Just because you can find desperate illegals with no rights and underpay them doesn't mean it's right or that people unwilling to work long, hard hours with no overtime, unsafe conditions etc. are the problem.

What we have here is similar to what became the impetus for the formation of modern unions. Except in this case, they're illegals so no need to worry about that pesky problem.

I guess if I can get some lady from Guatemala to live in my house and cook and clean for $5/day it's ok because I can't find an American to do the same job for $5/day.
I'm not against unions, per se. My father was a member of USW. While I wasn't exactly the first kid on the block with the Nintendo or whatever new thing, I had a lot more than many others on the block.

I don't really know what to tell you other than the fact that I'm a little too old for utopian theories as to how to reduce/eliminate exploitation. There was a fellow going around about 160 years ago named Marx who wrote about it while he was supported by money from his friend's family factory that exploited the workers he was trying to unite. I'm not trying to travel that path here.

In Guatemala, five bucks a day is a lot of money. Here in the US, we have a standard of living and an economy where five bucks a day can barely buy you dinner if you cook it for yourself. But, say, the lady also gets to live in the house and gets to eat dinner with us, she has a place to live and food to eat which for most of us is paid for out of our paychecks. And then she doesn't have to live in Guatemala anymore.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:28 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
One of them actually put out postings for "hard-working Americans" to pick fruit. Nobody showed.

Farm labor is excluded from the wage laws to which most employers have to adhere. If they did, it would lead to higher prices for consumers, reducing demand, and we'd still have a bunch of rotting crops.

These are basic economic concepts.

How many Americans live in rural areas? Most unemployed Americans live in cities or suburbs. The nearest farms could be hours away via car. How many unemployed Americans have reliable transportation? Even if they did have reliable transportation, driving hours each day to and from work may well end up claiming all their take home pay.

Are you willing to volunteer your time and your own vehicle to drive people to the farms?

Back to that myth of expensive and rotting crops

Once again, the farmers who use the guest work program don't charge more for their produce than do the sleazy farmers who refuse to use the guest worker program and instead opt for cheap, illegal, exploitable labor.

Yet once again, if crops supposedly rot in the fields, they are crops being grown by the sleazy farmers whose illegals hightailed it out of there when a crackdown occurs.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
You weaseled out of a question with one of her most infamous one-liners, though. I can understand why you're not wanting to see the resemblance.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...l-immigration/

What question did I supposedly weasel out of? What quote of Hillary's am I supposedly citing? By the way, your link wouldn't download on my computer. The fact remains that over the years most illegal aliens have been border jumpers. There is no disputing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies