Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 12:46 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's secret science... not studies...

Their work needs to be in the open, excluding private data.

No one is disputing Beale's role in the EPA and how the OPM regulations were passed. The EPA scientists had problems with it, and it was purely a policy decision. Those regulations are costly. They should be opened up for the public to see.

It would be better if big business wasn't involved - but it is. Their role in this doesn't matter to me... it probably doesn't matter to you either, other than it's a tool for leverage in this case.

The science should be made available.
LOL! I'm sorry, but I just had to laugh at your reply. If you are going to debate science, you need to acquire a modicum of scientific knowledge first.

Those studies are SCIENTIFIC studies published in peer reviewed journals, written by experts in their field. The results of these studies show how harmful air pollution can be and any other scientist working in the field can replicate the results reported in the paper.

The science is readily available. I did a study of the impact of particulates on Pinus edulis (Pinon Pines to the non-scientist) when I was a junior at the University of Colorado. The entire class had to do similar studies in order to pass the course. There was nothing arcane or "secret" about it. There are endless books out geared to the layperson, but if you want the honest to dog science, I suggest:

An Introduction to Environmental Toxicology, Third Edition
by Michael H Dong

You can buy it online via Amazon or check it out from a college library near you. If you have any difficulty with some of the concepts, the blood of a science teacher still runs in my veins, and I'd be pleased to explain the science for you. Just send me a DM.

However, I can't help but suspect that the only interest you have in science is in labeling it "secret." You can get away with that on a forum frequented by non-scientists, but throw your thoughts out to any group of scientists and you'll be laughed out of the room (or forum).

Now, I've wasted far too much of my time on this thread - not much I or anyone else can do about determined, deliberate ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 01:38 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
LOL! I'm sorry, but I just had to laugh at your reply. If you are going to debate science, you need to acquire a modicum of scientific knowledge first.

Those studies are SCIENTIFIC studies published in peer reviewed journals, written by experts in their field. The results of these studies show how harmful air pollution can be and any other scientist working in the field can replicate the results reported in the paper.

The science is readily available. I did a study of the impact of particulates on Pinus edulis (Pinon Pines to the non-scientist) when I was a junior at the University of Colorado. The entire class had to do similar studies in order to pass the course. There was nothing arcane or "secret" about it. There are endless books out geared to the layperson, but if you want the honest to dog science, I suggest:

An Introduction to Environmental Toxicology, Third Edition
by Michael H Dong

You can buy it online via Amazon or check it out from a college library near you. If you have any difficulty with some of the concepts, the blood of a science teacher still runs in my veins, and I'd be pleased to explain the science for you. Just send me a DM.

However, I can't help but suspect that the only interest you have in science is in labeling it "secret." You can get away with that on a forum frequented by non-scientists, but throw your thoughts out to any group of scientists and you'll be laughed out of the room (or forum).

Now, I've wasted far too much of my time on this thread - not much I or anyone else can do about determined, deliberate ignorance.
You preach all of this openness... open up the EPA files. Open up the two studies about Ozone and Particulate Matter that the confessed liar Beale pushed through.

It would seem to me that a scientist like yourself would see the value in shining the light on science/policy that was pushed by a confessed and convicted liar.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Only it isn't SECRET Science. The science isn't secret at all. The EPA review process is transparent, and they don't rely on just one or two studies. They rely on hundreds of studies. And what they've relied on is available for people to view. The studies have already been peer-reviewed. The methodologies aren't secret. While some of the studies contain proprietary information, does that mean their conclusions are false? Does that mean that the EPA should not look at their results?

Pruitt is an anti-science stooge. Trump, and many of his supporters, want regulations to go away because that means bigger profits for businesses. At the expense of the general public.
Same goes to you... put out the science for Ozone and Particulate Matter. Something is secret, that's for sure.

This is beyond Pruitt. This has been going on for years.

Any regulation that Beale is behind should be put out there for review. Other than just pure partisanship - I don't understand why anyone would be against this.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Wonder if they’re going to. Make Pruitt pay the government back for his lavish trips on the taxpayers dime?
Do you know how many people in government take lavish trips? Why are you singling him out? Both sides do this.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:12 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Same goes to you... put out the science for Ozone and Particulate Matter. Something is secret, that's for sure.

This is beyond Pruitt. This has been going on for years.

Any regulation that Beale is behind should be put out there for review. Other than just pure partisanship - I don't understand why anyone would be against this.
Beale defrauded the agency. But there is no evidence that the policies he worked on were compromised.

If you want to know about the research and science regarding ozone and particulate matter, there are several studies available on-line. There are links to books on pollution, particularly involving ozone and particulate matter. I'm not sure what your suspicions are about. Are you thinking that there are folks at the EPA who propose and enact policies that they mean to harm Americans? Why?

Old 03-22-2018, 05:15 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
EPA rules are costing society so much money and is like a secret business.
GW Bush abolished clean air regulations. Did you notice lower priced utilities and products from GW Bush's rolled back regulations?

In a 6 year period GW Bush's regulation policy caused approximately 90,000 premature deaths. What economic gains did Bush policies achieve that justify 90,000 Americans premature deaths?

https://www.ucsusa.org/publications/...l#.WrQ48lTwbIV

Quote:
It reeks corruption!
The corruption is that during the 2004 presidential campaign corporations benefiting from GW Bush's air regulations gave GW Bush over $5 million dollars in campaign contributions.
https://www.opensecrets.org/pres04/i...&cid=n00008072

Old 03-22-2018, 05:21 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
EPA rules are costing society so much money and is like a secret business. It reeks corruption!
And Donald Trump rolled back environmental regulations, and those actions will kill millions of Americans.

Trump abolished EPA regulations that stop millions of Americans from being exposed to cancer causing chemicals.
Trump team gutting EPA when we need it most | TheHill

Trump abolished EPA regulations that stop 100,000's of women from getting breast cancer.
EPA won

Trump abolished EPA regulations that stop developing children from getting birth defects.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ashing-the-epa

Trump abolished EPA asbestos regulations that stop 100,000's of Americans from getting cancer.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trumps-...tances-review/

Trump abolished EPA clean air regulations that stop 4,500 Americans from dying each year.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1b767342b279

Trump abolished a EPA drinking water safety regulation, and now the safety of 117 million Americans drinking water is at risk.
https://www.ewg.org/release/trumps-e...k#.WiS2k7anHIU

Trump abolished EPA regulations that would lower workplace exposure to silica and beryllium, two commonly used minerals linked to debilitating lung diseases.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/justcap.../#702c451d64bf

Trump abolished a EPA regulation that outlawed a pesticide that is being found in our food, air and drinking water. And human and animal studies show that this pesticide damages the brain and reduces I.Q.s while causing tremors among children, and it causes cancer. And now this chemical can freely enter our food and water supplies.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...on-agency.html

ex.ex.

What economic gains do you expect to see from Trump's rolled back regulations?

Last edited by chad3; 03-22-2018 at 06:33 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 05:22 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Finally, someone with sense running the EPA instead of a fascist, anti business bureaucrat.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:27 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,876 times
I once researched plastics in the ocean. Everywhere I looked quoted the same number of pieces per square mile.

But where did that number come from??

Seems every paper quoted other papers quoting sources which were circular.

The earliest I could track it was down to a paper written in like 1972 before dumping garbage in the ocean was banned.

I am in favor of being able to trace data and facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies