Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 09:46 AM

8,501 posts, read 3,339,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Found this to be very logical...

Pirro Rips Ryan, McConnell: Your Omnibus Spending Package Is 'A Total Betrayal' of Trump | Fox News Insider

and still believe they are working together with the establishment to get rid of him....he just refused to fit in....
You may be right. That Ryan provided no cover on immigration issues is a bit of a surprise for he held most of the cards when negotiating with Democrats. What's a little more wall debt in the grand scheme of things? Trump already had changed his stump proposal to a 700-mile wall that would have taken care of objections from the Texans so no pressure on McConnell/Ryan there.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:49 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:

Pirro Rips Ryan, McConnell: Your Omnibus Spending Package Is 'A Total Betrayal' of Trump | Fox News Insider

and still believe they are working together with the establishment to get rid of him....he just refused to fit in....
I hate Ryan's dirty tricks of giving congress an hour to read a bill before they vote on it, he pulled that with the tax bill too - but this bill was not written overnight, it took months and Trump was AWOL during that process and then acts like he's shocked at what's in it when it lands on his desk. Every other President in recent history has been deeply involved in the drafting of large budget bills, why not Trump?

Old 03-26-2018, 09:54 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
You may be right. That Ryan provided no cover on immigration issues is a bit of a surprise for he held most of the cards when negotiating with Democrats. What's a little more wall debt in the grand scheme of things? Trump already had changed his stump proposal to a 700-mile wall that would have taken care of objections from the Texans so no pressure on McConnell/Ryan there.
I think Ryan/McConnell have showed their true colors months ago....I don't trust them, and never would I vote for them....and McConnell, what does he care, he won't be around much longer?

Something is very amiss here....

Old 03-26-2018, 10:08 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
You described the politically blind AND QUESTION FOOLISH ?
Those who did not support Trump were "politically blind?" Might these broad generalizations be what is foolish?

Old 03-26-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
well, to be honest, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he admitted that he didn't read the whole bill, b/c it was way to large for him to go over....which I also believe past presidents have done the same...how could anyone read bills that long and what's in them. which is how, by the way, they sneak in items that pass...and really shouldn't be....I believe those kinds of bills have outgrown our constitution....and no, I don't believe it is legal for any President, to veto line items...it's all or nothing, which is what is so darn unfair about them....

Do you know if that bill is listed anywhere? Do they publish them?
To be honest, I think you are correct, and though maybe you are giving a pass to past legislation as well, during Obama's terms, that conservatives seemed pretty upset about for similar reasons, that seems to be the "nature of the beast." Problem is, if the line item veto were allowed, legislation would change entirely, and there would be more need for more legislation that would require more independent consideration. This would tend to change the dynamics of the compromise that legislation generally represents if not requires.

IOWs, if I know my $5billion for Florida is going to get line-item-vetoed, I'm not likely to allow other parts of the bill to be included that I too would veto if I were not going to get my $5billion for Florida in exchange...

No one really knows what would result if the POTUS had the line item veto, and that's probably why it doesn't come to pass even though it seems like a "no brainer."

Old 03-26-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Those who did not support Trump were "politically blind?" Might these broad generalizations be what is foolish?
I voted for Trump b/c I wanted Washington to have less control, and be less involved in things....
also wanted to clamp down big time on illegals and immigration, or should I say, put into effect our immigration laws on the books already. I was also very very tired of the establishment dictating world-wide what we should and shouldn't be doing and to give companies tax cuts if they came back to America.

We need jobs badly...

Just look at the mess California is in with all the homeless....

also wanted to see them crack down on crime....big time...and get serious about it.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Fox tends to have a perspective that may be logical in some respects but awfully "forgiving" when it comes to most things Trump, as you also seem inclined...

We elect the POTUS to stand in the way of bad legislation. That's why the POTUS has veto power! To excuse Trump for signing legislation instead because of this or that seems like just more excusing of Trump no matter what he does or doesn't do. Still, as powerful as the POTUS may be in these respects, there is no question Trump is not the only problem.

Also from Fox...

"We hear all the time these days that President Trump is “undermining democratic norms.” Well, how about this for a democratic norm? The policies people vote for in an election should be the ones that get implemented after the election.

Oh wait, that would mean we had an actual, functioning republic, wouldn’t it? But we don’t. We have a Swamp, and this week’s public policy shambles in Washington – resulting in a fiscally incontinent and democratically illegitimate $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill – showed that the Swamp is not being drained but steadily refilled."

Steve Hilton: The $1.3 trillion omnibus bill shows why the populist revolution has to target Congress next | Fox News

While also some logic here, the problem is that Trump's policies are not the policies that ALL of America supports! Fox and Trump supporters keep suggesting that because Trump won, everything Trump advocates is a result of support from ALL Americans, most Americans, or that Congress should also not represent the interests it too represents. Not true.

Last edited by LearnMe; 03-26-2018 at 10:51 AM..

Old 03-26-2018, 10:40 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
also wanted to see them crack down on crime....big time...and get serious about it.
Crime is almost always a state and local issue, don't ever look to the White House to do anything about crime. They can't dictate state law and if they pass federal criminal statutes they have to prosecute them. In 2016 there were only around 77,000 federal criminal prosecutions. While 53% of all sentenced state prisoners are serving time for violent crimes, the same is true for just 7% of sentenced federal inmates, according to the most recent data from the Bureau of Justice Statistics. In absolute numbers, that works out to about 700,000 state prisoners serving time for violent crimes, compared with only about 14,000 federal prisoners incarcerated for violent offenses. Federal prosecutions at lowest level since 1997 | Pew Research Center

Old 03-26-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I voted for Trump b/c I wanted Washington to have less control, and be less involved in things....
also wanted to clamp down big time on illegals and immigration, or should I say, put into effect our immigration laws on the books already. I was also very very tired of the establishment dictating world-wide what we should and shouldn't be doing and to give companies tax cuts if they came back to America.

We need jobs badly...

Just look at the mess California is in with all the homeless....

I did not vote for Trump because I did not want Trump to be in control...

Obviously it is impossible to go through all the issues that either side represents or wants to address in different ways, but for starters, illegals and immigration are not the problem(s) that Trump makes them out to be, as cover for not actually dealing with the issues that stifle job creation, wages and the ever-growing gap between rich and poor. Trump is like the bank robber who creates a distraction across the street while robbing the bank that no one is paying attention to because of the artful distraction.

While meanwhile Trump mucks up relations with Mexico (and other trading partners) just for good measure, but the wall Mexico was going to pay for helped get Trump elected, and that was the ultimate goal of course, no matter how much any of that made any sense.

Also with respect to the "establishment dictating world-wide what we should do and shouldn't be doing" along with all the rest, without specifics, it is impossible to decide the right or wrong about any of this. Are you talking about who should be able to travel where? Who should be allowed to marry? Foreign involvement in domestic affairs/elections?

Like Trump seems to know well, all can sound good in general, but most of us also know "the Devil is in the details."

PS: "All the homeless" in California is also not caused by what you may think. Not as if the homeless problem is exclusive to California after all, or this country. Right? Can't blame California for the better weather that makes it easier for a homeless person to get by than in North Dakota for example. Getting Sun burned is not as life threatening as freezing...

Old 03-26-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
LearnMe

but for starters, illegals and immigration are not the problem(s) that Trump makes them out to be,
Illegals had been a problem for many many years, to a lot of us, excluding what Trump thinks them to be...

Quote:
Trump is like the bank robber who creates a distraction across the street while robbing the bank that no one is paying attention to because of the artful distraction.
You may be right, jury is still out for me....however, anyone would have been better than Hillary.

Quote:
While meanwhile Trump mucks up relations with Mexico (and other trading partners) just for good measure, but the wall Mexico was going to pay for helped get Trump elected, and that was the ultimate goal of course, no matter how much any of that made any sense.
Wall or not, most people knew, regardless of what Trump wanted, he never has the last say....Trump got elected b/c he wasn't a part of the establishment...that's what people wanted....a non-politician....but so far, for me, he hasn't done a darn thing for our debt....

Quote:
Also with respect to the "establishment dictating world-wide what we should do and shouldn't be doing" along with all the rest, without specifics, it is impossible to decide the right or wrong about any of this. Are you talking about who should be able to travel where? Who should be allowed to marry? Foreign involvement in domestic affairs/elections?
No, I'm talking business relations....

Quote:
PS: "All the homeless" in California is also not caused by what you may think.
the matter is, all the homeless, as the cause is for many reasons, not just one.

Quote:
Not as if the homeless problem is exclusive to California after all, or this country. Right?
of course, but, it is getting bad for California

Quote:
Can't blame California for the better weather that makes it easier for a homeless person to get by than in North Dakota for example. Getting Sun burned is not as life threatening as freezing...
you made a point, however, it's the same for Florida, and southern states, but right now California is in a fix due to the homeless...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies