Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should young women also be required to register for the draft?
Yes, both men and women should be required to register for the draft. 65 55.56%
No, the requirement should stay the same. Only men should register for the draft. 14 11.97%
None of our young people should be required to register for the draft. 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 01:06 PM

602 posts, read 504,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
with trump banning transgender, if a women claims to be a man, does she have to register? or if a man calls himself a woman, can he opt out of registering?
The site is down again (so I can't link) but the registration requirement appears to be strictly based on birth gender (not sure about cases of intersex people or those whose gender was recorded incorrectly due to a clerical error). It does indicate that a male-to-female could file a claim for exemption should she pass the physical. (With the transgender ban, any such individuals would be classified as 4-F upon the examiners learning about their gender reassignment. The same logic explains why they want even obviously disabled men to register - you fill out the paperwork, and if you get called up then once they learn about your condition it's 4-F for you. For those who don't know, "4-F" means you are deemed unfit for military service due to a medical reason.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 02:46 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I think mandatory service (military/civil/volunteering/peace core/US Public Heath Service Commissioned Core) for all US Citizens starting at age 18 should be mandatory.

No doubt it would create some problems but I think it would solve far more.
Slavery by any other name is still slavery.

What if I refuse to serve? Do armed cops come to my house to take me away? Do they shoot me if I resist?

“[Conscription] rests on the assumption that your kids belong to the state.... That assumption isn’t a new one. The Nazis thought it was a great idea.”

“[T]he most fundamental objection to draft registration is moral…a draft or draft registration destroys the very values that our society is committed to defending.”

--Ronald Reagan

(Of course he broke his promise to end registration, but that's a whole other story.)

Old 03-24-2018, 03:25 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
For those who don't know, "4-F" means you are deemed unfit for military service due to a medical reason.)
I made this point in a prior post

even disabled and blind men have to register for the draft... if they have to do it, how is "physical condition" an argument that women shouldn't register because they are "weaker"?

I linked the disabled required to register link in that post too

gender should not be an option to exclude people when you have people with missing limbs needing to register

Old 03-24-2018, 03:30 PM

5,958 posts, read 2,875,868 times
I believe women should register for the draft ,also we should repeal the nineteenth amendment

Old 03-24-2018, 05:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I voted yes, but only so long as it's mandatory for men.

I actually want to vote no, but my ideas about men, women, family and society in general are frowned upon these days, especially by women, and you can't save someone from themselves.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:29 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
Absolutely!

Although I know that I'd be horrified and terrified to be in that situation myself, anyone imagining themselves to be fair and objective would have to agree that women should be included.

I think war would change for the better if women were equal in the mix.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:15 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No. I don't want their lesser physical capabilities anywhere near the military, especially combat. Women in combat degrade mission capabilities, and make units less effective.

That's true. I do. I really suck (I'm not even good at bowling though I do like to play it) Besides I don't like the idea of killing someone anyway. I have enough regrets in my life so I wouldn't have the gumption to live with that fact.

I'm sure some other women are more capable but they should only do so if they want to and for that matter men should have that choice as well. No one should be allowed to go in the military if they don't want to.

SIDE NOTE: If they really needed to they can place me in the technology unit but that's about all I would go near. But I don't like the idea of war in general. I know we're supposed to be defending our country from killers. I just wish there was another way. It's the same reason I am iffy about the death penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I think it would depend on what kind of miltary service they would be doing. If its just non-combat or at least non-ground combat roles then sure why not,?

Didn't the first women just complete the Ranger's, or something like that, course recently?

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Sorry, ALL or nothing.

They have been screaming for "equal rights" for YEARS.

With "rights" comes the responsibility to "defend" them.
You don't want me in that field seriously. I don't belong there any more than I would belong at a liquor store strip club etc but that doesn't mean I shouldn't get as much pay as a man for other kinds of jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
We have to take you away from your jobs and families and force you into military service to protect your freedoms and opportunities...lol you cant make this stuff up.
Ha good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Bull. If an enemy actually invaded this country, I would find a way to help. At 53, I am too old for military service, but I would find some way to fight back, and I bet a lot of other "lefties" would, too. There would be no need for a draft, because most people will fight for their freedom if the danger is real.

What I object to is stupidity like the Korean and Vietmam wars, the current train wreck in the Middle East, and any suggestion that we conscript our kids to go fight them. There is a big difference between being willing to die for one's own country, and being willing to die to overthrow a regime halfway across the damn planet just because a bunch of old men in Washington don't like it.

Ay I'm too neurodivergent and/or HSP to even play James Bond video games (tried once because I like video games and love the Pierce Brosnan movies. I died on like the second level I think) let alone go into battle.
I don't believe in war but I guess if it was life or death for us I would try to find a technology centered solution at least.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:23 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Better idea: eliminate Selective Service registration for everyone. If our nation was thrown into an emergency, when large numbers of new people in the military were needed, there would be more volunteers than they could handle. Soldiers who want to be on duty, are far more valuable, than those who are forced into it.

As to those on this thread who have disparaged the ability of women to be fighters, you are dead wrong. Throughout much of my life, I've been in close contact with many women who were athletes. They can be just as mean and aggressive when challenged, as any men could be. There's a lot of young girls who have been drawn into sports over the past several decades and they grow up to be very different from the outdated stereotype of women, who are thought to be weak and helpless. You don't have to be a big, hulking male, to become a good soldier.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-24-2018 at 06:35 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 06:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I voted yes, but only so long as it's mandatory for men.

I actually want to vote no, but my ideas about men, women, family and society in general are frowned upon these days, especially by women, and you can't save someone from themselves.
Can you expand on this response?

I only ask because I have a check in my brain that remembers you as an extremely logical and principled poster when shuffling along across this forum. Whether you're doing it or not, or know it or not...your responses are very "big picture" and testable...if that makes sense.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:25 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I'm gonna steal "free inhabitants." It sounds better than "sovereign citizen" and doesn't carry the same connotation...
There is no such thing as a sovereign citizen - it's an oxymoron.
Citizens are subjects of a sovereign. Sovereigns are never citizens.

"The better to secure and perpetuate mutual friendship and intercourse among the people of the different states in this union, the free inhabitants of each of these states... shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of free citizens in the several states ..."
[Article IV of the Articles of Confederation (1777)]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies