Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should young women also be required to register for the draft?
Yes, both men and women should be required to register for the draft. 65 55.56%
No, the requirement should stay the same. Only men should register for the draft. 14 11.97%
None of our young people should be required to register for the draft. 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 09:33 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times

Advertisements

My son is 18 years old and graduated from high school last July. On Monday of this week we received a letter from the Selective Service politely demanding that he register for the draft under threat of penalties which included but were not limited to prison time. Of course, I too registered for the draft when I was his age so this was not unexpected. In fact, I was surprised that he had not already been registered. So I proceeded to go to the online registry with my son and take care of his registration. However, when we were filling out the paperwork, we somehow selected that he was a female instead of a male. Of course, the page immediately changed to inform us that females were not required to register. Well, that got me thinking. We live in a world in which gender equality is a big issue. Women everywhere are demanding, and rightly so, that they be treated as the equals of men in all respects. So I was just wondering, when are women going to stand up and demand to be included in this aspect of equality in our nation? Is it not unfair that only our young men are required to sign up for conscription? I'm just saying, if we are going to go all the way here and do everything we can to ensure equality, then that should also extend to things like registering for Selective Service. The road has to go both ways here. Equal means equal, which means both genders should be equally qualified to serve their country if the need arises to impose a draft. Equality does not just extend to certain issues, it is an all-encompassing ideal which should include both the good and the possibly bad aspects of life. I'm sorry, but you can't only fight for certain aspects of equality. And I feel this is an issue that needs to be brought into the public eye and resolved. All it would take would be a simple amendment to the law by Congress to include women in the draft.

https://www.sss.gov/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 09:38 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
No. I don't want their lesser physical capabilities anywhere near the military, especially combat. Women in combat degrade mission capabilities, and make units less effective.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:51 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No. I don't want their lesser physical capabilities anywhere near the military, especially combat. Women in combat degrade mission capabilities, and make units less effective.
Not a very PC answer there Pilot. But you have me curious now. Are you speaking from experience or prejudice here? Are you a current or former member of our armed forces? My guess would be yes, but I don't want to assume.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:56 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
My son is 18 years old and graduated from high school last July. On Monday of this week we received a letter from the Selective Service politely demanding that he register for the draft under threat of penalties which included but were not limited to prison time. Of course, I too registered for the draft when I was his age so this was not unexpected. In fact, I was surprised that he had not already been registered. So I proceeded to go to the online registry with my son and take care of his registration. However, when we were filling out the paperwork, we somehow selected that he was a female instead of a male. Of course, the page immediately changed to inform us that females were not required to register. Well, that got me thinking. We live in a world in which gender equality is a big issue. Women everywhere are demanding, and rightly so, that they be treated as the equals of men in all respects. So I was just wondering, when are women going to stand up and demand to be included in this aspect of equality in our nation? Is it not unfair that only our young men are required to sign up for conscription? I'm just saying, if we are going to go all the way here and do everything we can to ensure equality, then that should also extend to things like registering for Selective Service. The road has to go both ways here. Equal means equal, which means both genders should be equally qualified to serve their country if the need arises to impose a draft. Equality does not just extend to certain issues, it is an all-encompassing ideal which should include both the good and the possibly bad aspects of life. I'm sorry, but you can't only fight for certain aspects of equality. And I feel this is an issue that needs to be brought into the public eye and resolved. All it would take would be a simple amendment to the law by Congress to include women in the draft.

https://www.sss.gov/

The Suffragette movement, early feminism, was opposed by women that were concerned that if they gained some of privileges of men, they would lose privileges that women had enjoyed for centuries.

This became a mute point after women became the voting majority because they simply voted for politicians that pandered to their interests.

In the end, women received rights of men without giving up the privileges of women.

Sure, they'll demand infantry MOSs, but its just so that they can ride the military AA gravy train.

As for the female draft, forget about it.

They don't need it to get what they want, so they will never push for it.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:07 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,755 times
I think it would depend on what kind of miltary service they would be doing. If its just non-combat or at least non-ground combat roles then sure why not, but if we're talking about having them in ground combat roles like frontline soldiers then hell no! It would be pointless to bring women into the miltary for those kinds of roles because almost all of them would fail at it over the long term.

Instead why not just put women in jobs that they can succeed in rather than forcing them into jobs that they have a low to zero chance of doing well in?

Old 03-22-2018, 10:08 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
No one should have to register. Conscription is slavery.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:08 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
I was a Marine, so we never trained with females, but some of the army guys I know (younger guys) trained with females.

The story I keep hearing from them is that smoke breaks were called when the men completed whatever they were doing and had to wait for the females to finish.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:18 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I am waiting for the protests; how many signs were up during the women's march complaining of this outright discrimination against women?

Old 03-22-2018, 11:02 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Sometimes the best person for the job just might be a woman.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.bb818d2d9970

Old 03-22-2018, 11:11 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
No one should have to register. Conscription is slavery.
In all fairness to Uncle Sam we're already his slaves thru numerous schemes (taxation, regulation, legislation, criminal justice system as a whole). Conscription is more like getting stuck with the crappiest/most dangerous job on the master's list of chores.

See, there's always a silver lining. Three cheers for master!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies