Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:18 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,206,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Thats crazy. 90% of the people who use those use it for guys hooking up with guys or guys trying to hook up with girls, but not much is actual prostitution or even forced prostitution. The rest is spam.
I grew up near a beach town and one of my childhood priests dropped this nugget when someone was flustered about prostitution: 'how can you sell what people are giving away for free?' What makes it even more awesome is that he was the most conservative of the parish priests growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 09:23 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,677 times
All the prostitutes will just move to dating websites. I've been browsing dating profiles for a while and have seen profiles of women inscantily clad clothing and their profile hints they are looking for a john

Old 03-23-2018, 09:29 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
From what I understand, those that offer and are searching for these services on Craigslist, to avoid police posing as people, they post in other, non-related boards, and its not exactly clear what they are selling when you see the way the ads are worded.

I had a friend that met a gal on that site, he was married and very out of shape, he wanted a mistress and was willing to pay for it, someone he knew told him about this girl that advertised on craigslist, but the ad was in some other board, (something totally unrelated, like furniture, cars), but the way her ad was worded, it was very clever, she could attract the 'right' people and avoid police or anyone that may report her.

This is how all sorts of illegal business goes down on Craigslist. Back when I was hooked on dope and using every day, I know for a fact a handful of dealers used Craigslist, but they knew how to disguise their ads, so only those who are truly looking, know what they are really selling.
Thanks for the warning. I will make sure to be careful how I word my Craigslist sale ads. Nothing like -' loveseat for sale, thick supple cushions, strong legs. Pick up on Saturday'.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:34 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
My understanding is that if a crime is committed by a user regarding sex trafficking, then Craiglist could be linked to the crime in a lawsuit if it posted an ad related to the crime. I would have to see it specifically in the legislation to be sure.

They don't want to take the risk. Other sites may want to take the risk and monitor ads that are posted.

There is no prosecution for solely posting an ad.
There is no prosecution without the placement of an ad.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:54 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is no prosecution without the placement of an ad.
Sex trafficking has existed before the invention of the internet. Prosecution can occur without any ads.

Now - Craiglist could be an accomplice to sex trafficking if an ad is on their web servers.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:04 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times
This, brought to you by a president who is a sex-trafficking participant himself.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Sex trafficking has existed before the invention of the internet. Prosecution can occur without any ads.

Now - Craiglist could be an accomplice to sex trafficking if an ad is on their web servers.
If I post one on a telephone poll can the telephone company?

Old 03-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
This, brought to you by a president who is a sex-trafficking participant himself.
The Senate vote was 98-2.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:13 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,221,847 times
I think its stupid. How are websites "facilitating" just by having a platform that people might abuse in violation of the very clear Terms Of Service?

And how is anyone going to get trafficked in the "Missed Connections" or "Just Platonic" sections?

WTF, is my reaction. Both to the bill AND to the Ebay response to it-I get they are a big company and the craigs portion is only a fraction...but its a big enough fraction that Craig is a billionaire now! So maybe its time for a spinout.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:31 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If I post one on a telephone poll can the telephone company?
Now you are just reaching...

But to answer you - does the telephone company profit from having an ad stapled to a pole? No. Does Craigslist profit from these ads? Yes.

Does the telephone company have any control over the content that people staple to the pole? No. Does Craigslist control the presentation of content? Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies