Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 11:15 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

That is what Delta and some other companies are planning to do .

Isn’t this basically turning people into Cyborgs ?

—-

Big names including BMW, GE, Caterpillar and Delta Air Lines are collaborating on ways to give workers superpowers. Or at least powered full-body exoskeletons that can combine the strength, endurance and precision of machines with human intelligence and dexterity.

On Wednesday Sarcos Robotics announced the creation of an Exoskeleton Technical Advisory Group (“X-TAG”) focused on industry and made up of executives from Bechtel, BMW, Caterpillar, Delta, GE, Schlumberger, Würth Industry and others.

Sarcos, industry groups and the X-TAG plan to work together on ways to bring the company’s Iron Man-like suits to the workforce.

“The X-TAG members will identify key use cases, performance expectations and safety requirements to ensure commercial powered exoskeletons align with the needs of their workers and business,” a Sarcos representative told me.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmac...o-exoskeltons/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 11:16 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Sure, I see no difference between this and using a forklift.

I will never have a problem with using the best tool available to complete a job.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:11 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

No. Attaching a machine to your external body to improve performance doesn't turn a person into a cyborg. Attaching a machine into your brain to change your thinking might.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
No, because if the system fails, I can potentially be injured. If a forklift fails, nothing will happen to me, if this fails, I all of a sudden am holding 100lbs, or reacting to a sudden 100lbs being carried solely by me. Failure can also lead to losing balance and falling which can cause injury.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, because if the system fails, I can potentially be injured. If a forklift fails, nothing will happen to me, if this fails, I all of a sudden am holding 100lbs, or reacting to a sudden 100lbs being carried solely by me. Failure can also lead to losing balance and falling which can cause injury.

If the forklift fails the tub of turd you just picked up won't fall and splat all over you?

I mean, I think you need to come up with a better analogy.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:48 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If the forklift fails the tub of turd you just picked up won't fall and splat all over you?

I mean, I think you need to come up with a better analogy.
No, unless you are operating it wrong. I drove one for a few years, pretty good at their operations. A forklift fails, the person driving it is at a low risk of injury, especially doing what probably 99% of forklifts do on a daily basis.

Injury occurs mostly from them flipping, and that is due to operator error. At that, there still is a safety cage and the operator is seat belted in.

An operator in your scenario is not going to be lifting such item above and over them, and if so, should be sealed.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:22 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

—-

Big names including BMW, GE, Caterpillar and Delta Air Lines are collaborating on ways to give workers superpowers. Or at least powered full-body exoskeletons that can combine the strength, endurance and precision of machines with human intelligence and dexterity.

Not a new idea. It's been around since 1986.

They've been watching reruns of Aliens.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:30 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Sounds like a great idea.

New exoskeleton gives soldiers super-strength - Technology & science - Science - DiscoveryNews.com | NBC News

Imagine being able to carry twice the ammo, supply, etc, with a quarter of the perceived effort.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:32 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Sure, I see no difference between this and using a forklift.

I will never have a problem with using the best tool available to complete a job.
I was thinking the same thing. A jackhammer needs a human being to operate it...another example.

This is just something that will take getting used to and in a few years we won't give it a second thought.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:42 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I was thinking the same thing. A jackhammer needs a human being to operate it...another example.

This is just something that will take getting used to and in a few years we won't give it a second thought.
It might even end up being really cool. I bet it would feel pretty awesome to be in an exoskeleton making it simple to chuck around 200lb boxes like they were empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies