Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 06:27 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
He met his fate because of a scared little boy in a uniform...who should never been on street work if he couldn't handle it without KILLING someone over VANDALISM or ROBBERY.
Get outta here with that mess.
He thought the cell phone was a gun, what would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 06:47 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
And you think non-compliance would have changed that outcome?
In this particular case Daniel Shavers might have been better off simply freezing, remaining perfectly still, rather than attempting to follow the cop's ridiculous commands. Have you seen the video? What would you have done?

Old 03-24-2018, 06:55 AM

24,410 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I watched the video. Until I saw the police helicopters IR video I was siding with the victim. But his actions were hard to justify. Running through neighbors yards and jumping fences, who does that? IF cars were broken into and not just assumed to have been and somebody called the police on that assumption, then this guy suddenly looks like he was up to no good and brought it on himself.
But we see more and more trigger happy cops who shoot out of fear and apparently don't have the proper training to make the correct decisions. Maybe they could have waited to see what he had and given him a chance to obey their commands.
But if police get called on stupid behavior, citizens are at least as guilty as well. All these morons with cell phones they have to hold onto like security blankets. And many just don't have the mental reasoning to understand that what they're doing might look criminal in someone else eyes and they had better consider the consequences. And if you can't respond to a police officers orders without doing something stupid, well, its Darwinism.
On a side note, how long until social media bans discussions about these vents? Can't have people questioning the police state.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's amazing that people can't see the parallels between their own lives/micro examples (such as the Stanford Prison Experiment) and society at large/macro examples (the State).

We aren't even saying that all police are inherently bad people. The paradigm we've created for them to function makes them extremely susceptible to bad habits/indulging the worst parts of them.

It would for any of us. The best of us.

You eliminate competition, give one group a monopoly of force, and then create special rules for these folks and hell yes you're going to turn otherwise normal folks into monsters.

It took what? Two days for the cops in the experiment to start throwing their weight around?

2 freaking days people.

Wake up!
Excellent post.

I totally agree with every word you wrote here.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:26 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
I see CNN is fanning the flames once again.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
He thought the cell phone was a gun, what would you do?
Oh bull.

I don't buy that for one minute.

And even if I wanted to give the little boy in uniform the benefit of the doubt, there is no reason to shoot at someone TWENTY times.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:35 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I watched the video. Until I saw the police helicopters IR video I was siding with the victim. But his actions were hard to justify. Running through neighbors yards and jumping fences, who does that? IF cars were broken into and not just assumed to have been and somebody called the police on that assumption, then this guy suddenly looks like he was up to no good and brought it on himself.
But we see more and more trigger happy cops who shoot out of fear and apparently don't have the proper training to make the correct decisions. Maybe they could have waited to see what he had and given him a chance to obey their commands.
But if police get called on stupid behavior, citizens are at least as guilty as well. All these morons with cell phones they have to hold onto like security blankets. And many just don't have the mental reasoning to understand that what they're doing might look criminal in someone else eyes and they had better consider the consequences. And if you can't respond to a police officers orders without doing something stupid, well, its Darwinism.
On a side note, how long until social media bans discussions about these vents? Can't have people questioning the police state.
From the chopper video you could see the cops coming around the side of the house. When they got to the rear corner they looked around it, saw Clark, then commanded him to get on the ground (or words to that effect) and then almost immediately opened fire. From the video it was difficult to see (for me anyway) exactly what Clark did to precipitate the shooting. But in any event, the cops were wisely using the corner of the house as cover. And when they started shooting Clark appeared to drop to the ground almost immediately. Yet the cops continued shooting a total of twenty rounds reportedly. It seems to me (and I've only seen the video once) that the cops could have held their fire after Clark fell to the ground and then assessed the situation from the cover of the corner of the house. Yet they kept shooting, all the while shouting "let me see your hands". I would guess that Clark was dead by that point. And then when they approached Clark and found that they had just killed an unarmed man they turned off the sound recorder on their body cams. I wonder why.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
Please cite a link that states he was ON the phone. He may have had a phone in his hand while in his grandmother's back yard but if you watched the video you also saw him hop the fence from his neighbor's yard, where pilot's saw him smash a window. You would have also saw this man retreat from and then advance toward law enforcement.
We dont know if it was him hopping the fences, and it is irrelevant if he was speaking on the phone of just holding it.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:47 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
If you're still alive. Remember the Daniel Shavers shooting in Arizona a little while back? The cops had the guy, who was unarmed, covered with AR 15s and had the situation under control. Yet, they had the guy crawl around on the floor on his belly while they barked out a string of confusing and contradictory commands until finally Shavers made a move, trying to pull up his trousers apparently, that they could interpret as "making a move consistent with reaching for a firearm" at which point one cop unloaded on him. No due process for Daniel Shavers. Just a homicidal cop satisfying his urge to kill.
The hands have to be clearly visible at all times. You cannot have police guns pointed at you and reach for ANYTHING, not even if you pants are falling down.

That cop was an idiot and it could have been avoided, but with those kinds of cops around it is important to remember to keep hands visible and make it much harder for them to have a reason to fire.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:52 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
And the police know this how, it is dark, he is a suspected criminal and he has something in his hand that could be a gun. What are the police suppose to do? Wait until he starts shooting?
They sure know how to restrain themselves in broad daylight when a white mass shooter has shot and killed children at school. Somehow their reasoning skills kick in and they are able to not only talk down and not kill the shooter but arrest him with nary a scratch. But an encounter in the dark with a black man with what could be a gun = automatic death and that makes sense to most of you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies