Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 11:47 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times

Advertisements

We get them here on the American tv stations. If you haven't seen them, they show kids with various disabilities, obviously congenital, who show what these hospitals are doing for them and how donations from the pubic can help them. The overall impression I get is that without access to these hospitals, kids who are born with disabilities just don't get the medical help they need to flourish. Is this close to being true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 01:31 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
We get them here on the American tv stations. If you haven't seen them, they show kids with various disabilities, obviously congenital, who show what these hospitals are doing for them and how donations from the pubic can help them. The overall impression I get is that without access to these hospitals, kids who are born with disabilities just don't get the medical help they need to flourish. Is this close to being true?
What are your thoughts on the thread headline ? Specifically the "bloody depressing".

Old 03-24-2018, 01:33 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
I find the commercials depressing, although I admire the work of the hospital.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:34 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Pretty much. A lot of parents also rely on sites like GoFundMe and bake sales to scrounge up money. Any little bit helps.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:35 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What are your thoughts on the thread headline ? Specifically the "bloody depressing".
The poster just outlined that very aspect of the thread title in the O/P.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
“Hi, it’s me, alex” .. if you even turn on a tv you can’t miss it. Aaa little (way) over done no doubt.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:42 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
The rather singular example of similar originating in Canada would be the War Amps commercial for donations to provide very specialized rehabilitation and artificial limbs for child amputees who are otherwise healthy . That is a very specific targeted group though in comparison to ALL suffering children being reliant upon donations to St Judes etc.,

Old 03-24-2018, 01:42 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Perhaps you should look at these commercials as celebrating the good work the Shriners are able to do for these children rather than as a depressing thing?

It's a very hard thing for many people to digest, that children are born with certain issues. Shriners do what they can to help and are more than happy to do it.

I'm a Shriner and the most humbling experience of my life was having a child come up to me at the Greenville hospital and put his hand out to shake mine and thank me. I'd never seen the kid before, but because I had my fez (the funny hat, for those who don't know the name of it) on my head, he felt it was necessary to offer his thanks. That hit me in a spot deep down and I've never forgot the feeling.

Edit: I'd encourage any of you who are curious to tour a Shriner's hospital. I think you would walk away with a different perspective on life.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:12 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
It's not just congenital conditions.

https://www.shrinershospitalsforchil...ion-and-vision

Why would you think that without Shriners hospitals "kids who are born with disabilities just don't get the medical help they need to flourish"? That is one set of conditions Shriners Hospitals treat but those hospitals are not the sole source of care for children with them.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:26 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The poster just outlined that very aspect of the thread title in the O/P.
That's your opinion, fine. I don't share it.

Its shocking when first seen. I get that. I don't get the depressing part.
I see beautiful faces doing things most take for granted.
I feel thankful for people and places like Shriners.
It doesn't depress me and if it does others I want to understand why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies