Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 08:08 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Other than the fear of being arrested by the ATF. Can't take them to the range to shoot, if you used one to protect your home you will be arrested and lose everything.

OK!

Who goes to the range, with 600 acres of pasture and woods?
The daughter and I took the Thompson out Sunday, to knock the dust off.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:37 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
OK!

Who goes to the range, with 600 acres of pasture and woods?
The daughter and I took the Thompson out Sunday, to knock the dust off.

Well, I'm not lucky enough to live rural...yet. Still stuck in the city.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
There's 110,000,000+ million rifles in America. Of those around 30 or 40 million (no one knows the exact number) are modern sporting rifles(ARs,AKs, etc).

No one is turning in their rifles or 30 round mags. Not going to happen.

Hogg and his ignorant 17 and 18 year old friends are clueless and are becoming America's top gun salesmen. I've made several calls to local gunstores and ARs are once again quadrupling in sales in some of the stores.

Example in CT. Back around 2014 the state wanted all "assault weapons" registered and all high cap. Mags. Declared
Of the estimated 370,000 rifles only 50,000 were brought for registration. That's 13% compliance. Of the estimated 1 million High cap. Mags. Only 40,000 were declared. That's 4% compliance. And this is in Libby CT.

Anti-gunners efforts are futile.

That may be true, but consider it is a two way street.

Republicans vilifying survivors of a shooting spree is a HUGE win for the Democrats. Thus I encourage you to keep calling them "beta males."

Old 04-03-2018, 08:57 AM

88,973 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
That may be true, but consider it is a two way street.

Republicans vilifying survivors of a shooting spree is a HUGE win for the Democrats.
Not the perspective many have...

Emotional, irrational teens calling tens of millions of law-abiding gun owners "child killers" with "blood on their hands" and demanding that their 2nd Amendment Rights be stripped is a HUGE win for the GOP.

Why? Gun owners aren't just GOP voters. They're also Ind and Dem voters.

Just like abandoning the middle class, Dems are now abandoning millions in their own law-abiding gun owner voter base. That will ding them at the polls just like abandoning the middle class dinged them in elections ever since 2010, resulting in the loss of 1,000+ elected positions.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:08 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not the perspective many have...

Emotional, irrational teens calling tens of millions of law-abiding gun owners "child killers" with "blood on their hands" and demanding that their 2nd Amendment Rights be stripped is a HUGE win for the GOP.

Why? Gun owners aren't just GOP voters. They're also Ind and Dem voters.

Just like abandoning the middle class, Dems are now abandoning millions in their own law-abiding gun owner voter base. That will ding them at the polls just like abandoning the middle class dinged them in elections ever since 2010, resulting in the loss of 1,000+ elected positions.
^ if one wants to get people to the voting booth keep calling them criminals when they aren't.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:16 AM

88,973 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
^ if one wants to get people to the voting booth keep calling them criminals when they aren't.
Yeah, since calling them "irredeemable deplorables" worked so well for Hillary in 2016. THIS is FAR worse.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:20 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
There's 110,000,000+ million rifles in America. Of those around 30 or 40 million (no one knows the exact number) are modern sporting rifles(ARs,AKs, etc).

No one is turning in their rifles or 30 round mags. Not going to happen.

Hogg and his ignorant 17 and 18 year old friends are clueless and are becoming America's top gun salesmen. I've made several calls to local gunstores and ARs are once again quadrupling in sales in some of the stores.

Example in CT. Back around 2014 the state wanted all "assault weapons" registered and all high cap. Mags. Declared
Of the estimated 370,000 rifles only 50,000 were brought for registration. That's 13% compliance. Of the estimated 1 million High cap. Mags. Only 40,000 were declared. That's 4% compliance. And this is in Libby CT.

Anti-gunners efforts are futile.
"Beta males"? And we're talking about teenagers, here? Good grief, are you a college frat boy?

Old 04-03-2018, 09:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well, I'm not lucky enough to live rural...yet. Still stuck in the city.

I don't live rural, I just have property near Gonzales, for the cows. We go down on weekends, or immediately after a big bad storm blows through, to check barns and the camp house.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:52 AM

10,713 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who is going to stop you?
Notice that I said legally.

Quote:
What about inherited? I'm I suppose to go down and let government know I inherited 2 BAR's and a Thompson trench broom?
If they aren’t on the registry, they are contraband and there is NO way to make them legal.

Quote:
I retail them for $10,500. You want to buy one? There is a waiting list.
Given that legal M-16’s currently sell for $25,000 - $30,000, I’m pretty sure that you aren’t selling them for $10,500. There is no way you would leave that much money on the table. But sure, keep up the charade. PM me contact info so I can get on “the list.”

Well after I told you, you realized that you didn’t have the inner workings of the rifle correct. But even with a complete set of fire control parts, you can’t just drop them into an AR-15 and turn it into a full auto. It requires some pretty extensive machining of the lower receiver. And, you forgot the full auto bolt carrier.

Based on your clueless answers and claims, I’m pretty confident in saying that you’re just making stuff up, you don’t know what you’re talking about, and you’re not a dealer of Title 2 weapons.

Pro tip: if you’re going to make up stuff on the internet, make sure it’s something that you actually know something about so that you don’t come off looking like you have here.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:27 AM

39,210 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Kinda my point.

Very few people in the military will ever train with a rifle as extensively as someone who been hunting since they were a kid. In fact, go into the background of people selected for sniper/designated marksman/etc stuff, and you'll find a lot of folks with prior experience in the woods.

This is very true. Actually, I think a lot of good snipers were hunters first.

This said, I remember this to be exact. My brother obviously grew up around guns, but Marine Corps taught him everything about rifle. I think sniper school is one of his basic recon training, (SERE is another). He learned that increasing firepower means increasing the number of hits per minute. That is why accuracy becomes supreme. Obviously, "one shot, one kill" would be the ideal outcome.

I think military training corrected his bad habit when he was a civilian. You learn your lesson from missing and mistakes.

In term of your other point about anti-gun military service member, I think military service members are just like civilians, there are conservatives and liberals, so hard to say if identity politics plays a role here. MOST of my personal friends are combat Marine, I have met zero liberal Marines who are anti-gun, zero. But this doesn't mean I think their opinions are gold. They are entitled to their own opinions. The only liberal Marines I met in the VA hospital are pogs. Hey, I am not saying they are not honorable people, but it is what it is.

I can see both sides of the arguments, for example,

In the Army, firearms are stored under lock, key, and sometimes guard, and god help you if one goes missing—the post shuts down and a frenzied search bordering on a religious quest begins.

So firearms are actually strictly regulated in the military.

Maybe a balance should be achieved somewhere, I don't know.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-03-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies