Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 08:52 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,173,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach sportsfan View Post
once again if we focus on the extremes from both sides nothing will get done. As i have stated before there is a majority of americans that are supportive of better gun control laws and mental health measures. The vast majority of americans are against no guns and guns without controls.

It is time to leave the extremes.
+1!

46,208 posts, read 26,974,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well an NRA membership is $40 assuming 5 million members .....do you need me to do the math for you?

Common sense gun laws? How about the ability of mental health professionals, school administrators, and so on to flag someone like Nikolas Cruz who has been found to make threats so that his background check would need to include police interviews and maybe even a mental health check? Oh and that same level of background check happen regardless of type of gun or who it is purchased from.
You mean, the same nicholas cruz, who was visited by the cops, how many times? That cruz? LOL...

TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,264,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Wrong. The NRA gets most of its money from INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS who may membership dues, and make separate donations to the NRA. They are also a very small lobbying group, and political donor compared to these.

None of the Top 10 Biggest Political Donors are Republican
So let's compare an all encompassing left leaning organization with the NRA. What could that comparison possibly show us? Nothing of use. Compare the money of the NRA to the pro-gun control lobby and we'll talk.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:53 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,680,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Wrong. The NRA gets most of its money from INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS who may membership dues, and make separate donations to the NRA. They are also a very small lobbying group, and political donor compared to these.

None of the Top 10 Biggest Political Donors are Republican
When you have to lie to make your point you have already lost. I never said who or what generates the most income to the NRA. All I was doing was explaining the direct relationship between a lobbying group and manufacturers. None of what you have posted disputes the fact that such a relationship exists.

Besides no matter how you slice it tens of millions of dollars is never going to be chump change.

This Is How The Gun Industry Funds The NRA - Business Insider

12,601 posts, read 7,194,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
These scare tactics that all Democrats are after all guns and that all Republicans want zero gun control is absurd and only plays into those in power.
Wake up.
Exactly.

Yet these big bad conservatives seem scared of everything, especially teenagers/young adults with a voice.

Who are the "beta males"?lol

7,982 posts, read 4,270,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why would you? You're in a discussion, that you seem to know nothing about and you've backed yourself up very nicely.

So basically, you are nothing more than a parrot that has no clue what they are talking about.

But it sounds cool, so I'm just gonna repeat it and then when asked to define your position, you say go look it up.
Honestly, you’re not making much sense, chucksnee.

What proof do you have that I don’t know what I’m talking about? What am I parroting?

You’re the one who is asking about common sense gun laws. It’s not my place to educate you. Look it up. Don’t stay uninformed...it’s not a good look.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You mean, the same nicholas cruz, who was visited by the cops, how many times? That cruz? LOL...
Yes and the same Nikolas Cruz whose state is being sued by the NRA for attempting to make laws that gives he police the legal ability to prevent people like him from buying a gun in less than an hour with no limits whatso ever.

And for rest please notice when given an example of common sense gun control AS REQUESTED it is completely ignored because these people are fundamentally dishonest. 5ey oppose any and all gun control. Any and all.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:54 AM

23,824 posts, read 14,958,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Then please work on taking guns away from all the criminals in this country. There are too many criminals using too many illegal guns to take part in too many illegal activities. Solve that issue and we'll talk.
Fund it and we can talk. All the money that has been spent on drug war has not had that much benefit. It seems to me our systems have had little success. We can't stop drugs, we can't stop guns. But we are the world's great nation?

The congress needs to be addressing these failures, but all they have time for is fund raising for their own re election. Another system failure.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Then please work on taking guns away from all the criminals in this country. There are too many criminals using too many illegal guns to take part in too many illegal activities. Solve that issue and we'll talk.
Nikolas Cruz was a legal gun owner. He had every legal right to own a gun despite his threats, despite the police speaking to him, and so on. And now that his state is trying to make it harder for people like him to own guns they are being sued by the NRA. Your deflection does not pass the sniff test.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:58 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,847,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well an NRA membership is $40 assuming 5 million members .....do you need me to do the math for you?

Common sense gun laws? How about the ability of mental health professionals, school administrators, and so on to flag someone like Nikolas Cruz who has been found to make threats so that his background check would need to include police interviews and maybe even a mental health check? Oh and that same level of background check happen regardless of type of gun or who it is purchased from.
Let's see if I can recall what I went through for my CHL back at the turn of the century.

The blue security card with my finger prints.

The passport photo.

A two day class, with the shooting test, that I think cost me $150 (or maybe it was twice that).

Another $150 (or was it twice that) to pay for my background check.

Copies of all paperwork and registered mail to send that off to DPS because ...... "You are dealing with a government agency.".

A few months to wait for it to come back approved or not.

Okay, say we require that level for buying a gun. Do we then require that level for people to use their other rights?

THAT'S THE CATCH, if the background check, especially at the cost to the individual, is good enough for one right, it is good enough for all the rights.

Do we want to require such scrutiny for people to be able to use their rights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies