Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 09:47 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, now your saying he's just a child but when he's taking all the money (over 3 million so far) and getting his face on every TV show possible screaming for gun bans he's a smart, articulate young adult who should be listened to?

Just can't make this stuff up...
Please quote where I said that.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
A flagging system as the one I outlined would have caught him.
How? You want to have a national database where every school infraction is recorded? I don't think so.

If your neighbor doesn't like your music and calls the cops, your name ends up in the database, and you won't be able to purchase firearms?

Old 03-25-2018, 09:49 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That's the same reason I own guns. The difference is I don't run to the gun store every time intelligent, articulate, and passionate teenagers stand up and speak out about gun violence, nor do I oppose common sense regulations on being able to purchase firearms. I think it should be difficult to purchase a firearm, and that one should have extensive background checks required to do so. That way those people like the Va. Tech shooter, the Parkland shooter, the Columbine shooters, might be prevented from purchasing these weapons. Doing nothing is not working.

A lot of gun owners go ballistic when the mere mention of sensible gun regulation is brought up. I'm not one of them.
I would like to know what is this "common sense regulations" people are talking about here. Maybe we need to define "common sense regulation" first before having a civilized conversations. Reading this thread makes me realize that some people are arguing about two completely different things.

First of all, I really don't believe MOST gun owners go ballistic when the mere mention of sensible gun regulation is brought up.

David Hogg once said,

Hogg: “After we come back from Spring Break, they’re requiring us all to have clear backpacks...it’s unnecessary. It’s embarrassing for a lot of the students.”

How is it embarrassing to ask the students to clear backpacks? To me, it is the exact common sense approach immediately following the tragedy. But to him, it is embarrassing.

It looks like his common sense and my common sense just don't match. Then what? Shut down one conversation or having a civilized discussion, so both sides can be heard without being demonized.

At this moment, I don't own an AR-15, i just own revolvers for home defense purpose only. This said, let's say I do own couple of AR-15s, taking AR from me will prevent future school shooting? How so?

I've been told by professional military men that the most effective weapon for home or self defense is the weapon (guns) you feel comfortable with. So in another word, there is no such a thing as the BEST home defense weapon. It all depends on your comfort level. So if somebody are comfortable with an AR-15, and the owner has passed all necessary background check, what is so bad to allow such a person to own an AR-15? Just because some bullies feel uncomfortable about it simply because it looks "scary"?

This doesn't make any sense to me. So far, I haven't heard ONE SINGLE good counter argument why AR-15 should be banned. "You don't need one." is not even a counter argument. Should we focus on getting guns out of the WRONG hands? A gun is just a tool, nothing more.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:51 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Lol. I'd be very careful speaking for everyone in the country. It's not the loudmouths on the streets, "it's the quiet ones you gotta watch".
Simple stats tell ya that there are far more people who DON'T own guns than those that do.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, they know Cruz assaulted them with a firearm and killed 17 of their friends. What else do you need to know?
What did they do to stop it before it happened?
They're so freaking smart then why isn't there a march to ban and fight all the things that precede these mass shootings?
1.Report bullies and make counseling mandatory for them, provide free counseling for their victims.
2.Report those schoolmates you KNOW are hooked on drugs and/or may be headed over the edge mentally.
3. Report those schoolmates you KNOW are severely depressed.
4. Report those schoolmates you KNOW are acting in a self destructive manner.
5. Report those schoolmates who voice ideas of violence either to themselves or others.
6. Point out social media postings that advocate violence or cyber bully others.

These KIDS know who are a danger to themselves or others but don't want to be seen as "snitches" or "not cool" and so lay it off on Adults to be mind readers and psychics able to see the future.

Hogg and his followers are the first line of defense, they see these kids every damn day and KNOW who might go off and yet remain silent except to blame others for things they KNEW could/would happen.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:54 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How? You want to have a national database where every school infraction is recorded? I don't think so.

If your neighbor doesn't like your music and calls the cops, your name ends up in the database, and you won't be able to purchase firearms?
No I want school admins, local police, mental health professionals and doctors, etc to be able to post flags to the existing background check system which would trigger federal or state police intervention and a mental health exam.

Additionally, I did not state "ever singe school infraction" what I stated were "threats" like those that lead to Nikolas Cruzs expulsion and run ins with multiple police who had no legal power to take away his guns. Another law that needs to be implemented btw.

Logistically if every single gun owner is subjected to a mental health exam it will become a cottage industry to rubber stamp these things, or they will be so over run that people by the hundreds of thousands will be lost in the cracks and they lose all their actual power.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:56 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,593 times
Quote:
They're so freaking smart then why isn't there a march to ban and fight all the things that precede these mass shootings?
1.Report bullies and make counseling mandatory for them, provide free counseling for their victims.
2.Report those schoolmates you KNOW are hooked on drugs and/or may be headed over the edge mentally.
5. Report those schoolmates who voice ideas of violence either to themselves or others.
6. Point out social media postings that advocate violence or cyber bully others.

These KIDS know who are a danger to themselves or others but don't want to be seen as "snitches" or "not cool" and so lay it off on Adults to be mind readers and psychics able to see the future.

Hogg and his followers are the first line of defense, they see these kids every damn day and KNOW who might go off and yet remain silent except to blame others for things they KNEW could/would happen.
In the case of Cruz, they clearly did do those things. He was flagged six ways from Sunday and due to complaints by his fellow students. But because the way the law is interpreted today, the officials couldn't do anything about it. Common sense gun regs are ones that allow those officials to make sure that nut didn't have any guns.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:56 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I would like to know what is this "common sense regulations" people are talking about here. Maybe we need to define "common sense regulation" first before having a civilized conversations. Reading this thread makes me realize that some people are arguing about two completely different things.

First of all, I really don't believe MOST gun owners go ballistic when the mere mention of sensible gun regulation is brought up.

David Hogg once said,

Hogg: “After we come back from Spring Break, they’re requiring us all to have clear backpacks...it’s unnecessary. It’s embarrassing for a lot of the students.”

How is it embarrassing to ask the students to clear backpacks? To me, it is the exact common sense approach immediately following the tragedy. But to him, it is embarrassing.

It looks like his common sense and my common sense just don't match. Then what? Shut down one conversation or having a civilized discussion.

At this moment, I don't own an AR-15, i just own revolvers for home defense purpose only. This said, let's say I do own couple of AR-15s, taking AR from me will prevent future school shooting? How so?

I've been told by professional military men that the most effective weapon for home or self defense is the weapon (guns) you feel comfortable with. So in another word, there is no such a thing as the BEST home defense weapon. It all depends on your comfort level. So if somebody are comfortable with an AR-15, and the owner has passed all necessary background check, what is so bad to allow such a person to own an AR-15. Just because some bullies feel uncomfortable about it simply because it looks "scary"?

This doesn't make any sense to me.
Ever carry Tampax or pads for your period when you were a teenager? I would have been embarrassed to do that in a clear back pack. I had a friend in high school who had a wear a bag attached to her stomach to poop in. She would have been embarrassed to have to carry her extra bag in a clear back pack. I'm sure if you thought about it you could come up with a few other things you wouldn't want others to see. I'm not opposed to clear bags, I'm just pointing out that it's not the black and white issue you're trying to make it. And if you say those things could be hidden in with the other stuff, then so could a hand gun so what is the point of clear bags in the first place?

Old 03-25-2018, 09:57 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:

Nikolas Cruz was expelled. The school and its community did everything in their power to address the issues they had with him. The local police had no legal authority despite his multiple threats to others, to take away his legally purchased guns.

Finally, stop blaming it on bullying, it is a false narrative.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:59 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My post was number 136 and you quoted and ignore it in your post 142.

I did not ignore it, your failure to understand my post though, is noted.

Your posted talked about cruz, that was visited by the police how many times? and nothing was done. What more do you want? The police and the FBI did not do their job, period. Is it that hard to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies