Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 10:27 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You assume all the gay and trans kids are bullied ?

It’s cool and progressive to be gay and trans these days .
Oh, is that why so many gay and trans kids commit suicide each year? They just can't handle their popularity?

Old 03-25-2018, 10:27 AM

39,224 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How is it common sense? Clear backpacks would not have prevented this from happening. It would not have prevented Columbine or Sandy Hook from happening. So what is the point of clear backpacks?
I think it is an necessary step IMMEDIATELY following the tragedy, to prevent copy cat mass shooting.

The point is NOT if this is common sense approach, (although I believe it is) the point is his common sense approach and mine just don't match. I don't believe banning ar-15 is the solution either.

So now what?

Old 03-25-2018, 10:29 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with this.

I doubt the laws would be followed.

Deputies called to suspected shooter’s home 39 times over seven years, nothing has been done.

but somebody believe taking AR15 from everybody is the answer. The sad news is that they can never be able to get rid of AR15, there are so many unregistered guns out there.
The police had no legal recourse as shown by the source of the person you are quoting. In that instance the person refused to press charges. So the police cannot even arrest him let alone address the fact he has guns and is threatening people.

That is exactly the type of gun law I would like to see. One giving the power to police to actually do something when they have responded to multiple calls like those made regarding Nikolas Cruz.

I have never advocated for taking guns away from everyone. Just people who make threats, like Nikolas Cruz.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The police had no legal recourse as shown by the source of the person you are quoting. In that instance the person refused to press charges. So the police cannot even arrest him let alone address the fact he has guns and is threatening people.

That is exactly the type of gun law I would like to see. One giving the power to police to actually do something when they have responded to multiple calls like those made regarding Nikolas Cruz.

I have never advocated for taking guns away from everyone. Just people who make threats, like Nikolas Cruz.
Yeah, I have to say I agree.

I think the focus should be "taking guns away from the wrong hands." I agree with your last paragraph, 100%

When people make the threat, (kill themselves of others) it should always be taken seriously.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Article from Sept 2016, things have changed quite a bit even since then .

Nobody should be bullied though .
Emma Gonzales was bullied on twitter by a grown man running for office for being a lesbian. Earlier this month.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:32 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Emma Gonzales was bullied on twitter by a grown man running for office for being a lesbian. Earlier this month.
I didn’t hear about it , but that was a dumb thing to say .

Ended his candidacy

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/18/u...ie-gibson.html

Old 03-25-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
T

This, right there, sounds like common sense to me.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:

Difficult grounds. If the DA says he will not prosecute, then the police cannot arrest. To do so is harassment at least and probably grounds for a lawsuit.

I've been there. Had a government theft case inside a research facility. We had the evidence but the DA told us he would not go to court unless he had an eye witness.

I was absolutely furious, I wanted to do something to let that guy know we were over him.....but I was told hands off, if the DA says no, there is nothing you can do.

Admittedly in the years afterwards, I see it slightly different now. To arrest someone that you know the DA is not going to prosecute, to take their photo, their fingerprints, to create a record of them in the system......is wrong in a free country.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I didn’t hear about it , but that was a dumb thing to say .

Ended his candidacy

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/18/u...ie-gibson.html
Does not change the fact that full grown men think it is acceptable to bully teenaged girls for being a member of the LGBTQ community. And is evidence for the extremes of bullying that can happen to those in that community.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Difficult grounds. If the DA says he will not prosecute, then the police cannot arrest. To do so is harassment at least and probably grounds for a lawsuit.

I've been there. Had a government theft case inside a research facility. We had the evidence but the DA told us he would not go to court unless he had an eye witness.

I was absolutely furious, I wanted to do something to let that guy know we were over him.....but I was told hands off, if the DA says no, there is nothing you can do.

Admittedly in the years afterwards, I see it slightly different now. To arrest someone that you know the DA is not going to prosecute, to take their photo, their fingerprints, to create a record of them in the system......is wrong in a free country.
The police cannot arrest when there is no complainant. The DA cannot press charges when no one will file. It is super easy to point fingers at the police for responding to call but in the source provided from another poster no one would press charges.

Police and others in a position to know should be able to flag background checks without waiting for a court case when someone has a history of making threats even if they have not been convicted. That person should have the ability to prove that they are not actually a danger to the community but after threatening to kill people, you should no longer have the privilege of owning a gun without a mental health check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies