Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 05:32 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Because they did not give a crap prior....
So going through a life or death experience is not a good reason to change your mind about something?

Says who? You?

Old 03-25-2018, 05:34 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
So ?
So, I think it might explain the badge. There are lot of Cuban flags in Miami, and they are not pro-Castro.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:35 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
When I first lost my late boyfriend to suicide, I blamed a lot of people. After I worked through my emotions with therapists, I realized that blaming does not help. He had undiagnosed untreated mental issues. Many people in my group blamed guns for their loved ones' suicide, but they don't blame guns today.

People's opinion change all the time after they became more informed.

This individual (David Hogg) seems to believe taking AR15 away is the answer. He might not have the same opinion in the future. For his own good, I believe he should focus on his own healing.

Trauma survivors' emotions are raw. This is exactly why many experienced therapists are against the very ideal using NEW trauma survivors as "activists."
Let's see what they are saying next year. I predict they will STILL be promoting gun reform. We'll see.

Quote:
I was in the Army at 17, I turned 18 after basic. Yes, of course it's tragic, but if you're going to be against something, then be against it always, not when you feel like it.
Srsly? You think there's nothing about having an AR 15 pointed at YOU that might change a person? Seeing their friends' killed? Their teachers?

Life changing events change lives.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
When I first lost my late boyfriend to suicide, I blamed a lot of people. After I worked through my emotions with therapists, I realized that blaming does not help. He had undiagnosed untreated mental issues. Many people in my group blamed guns for their loved ones' suicide, but they don't blame guns today.

People's opinion change all the time after they became more informed.

This individual (David Hogg) seems to believe taking AR15 away is the answer. He might not have the same opinion in the future. For his own good, I believe he should focus on his own healing.
These children do not have a single unified wish except for change. They blame a system that allowed Nikolas Cruz to legally get and keep guns despite demonstrating that he was a threat. That is a rational belief and one shared by many who did not actually get traumatized by this event.

David Hogg does not speak for everyone in the entire movement. He speaks for himself. And many people who have not been through this type of experience agree with him, even if other, like me, do not. But dismissing all of the survivors is a mistake.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:37 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Let's see what they are saying next year. I predict they will STILL be promoting gun reform. We'll see.

Sure, we will just have to wait and see.

I am not saying his opinion is wrong, I am certainly not saying he is not entitled to his opinion. I am saying he is now a new trauma survivor. Focusing on healing is the way to go. Many experienced therapists are against the very idea of using NEW trauma survivors as activists. That is all.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I was in the Army at 17, I turned 18 after basic. Yes, of course it's tragic, but if you're going to be against something, then be against it always, not when you feel like it.
Are you against lying? How about giving a false narrative?

I maybe from a Navy family, but shouldn't honor be universal in the military?

Old 03-25-2018, 05:38 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
These children do not have a single unified wish except for change. They blame a system that allowed Nikolas Cruz to legally get and keep guns despite demonstrating that he was a threat. That is a rational belief and one shared by many who did not actually get traumatized by this event.

David Hogg does not speak for everyone in the entire movement. He speaks for himself. And many people who have not been through this type of experience agree with him, even if other, like me, do not. But dismissing all of the survivors is a mistake.
No one is dismissing all of the survivors.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:38 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So going through a life or death experience is not a good reason to change your mind about something?

Says who? You?
Of course, but don't you think you should have voiced you opinion prior? Or did you not care until?

Do you have to have an abortion to be against abortion?

Old 03-25-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Of course, but don't you think you should have voiced you opinion prior? Or did you not care until?

Do you have to have an abortion to be against abortion?
You have no idea what they were for or against before this shooting. You made that up, at least you are consistent.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
No one is dismissing all of the survivors.
I misspoke, I meant dismissing their statements as those of someone who has not worked through their trauma and thus should not be vocal about their opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies