Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:49 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

In recent years, candidates have tried all kinds of strategies to make attention-getting campaign ads.
Throwing a large rock into a pond.
Assembling a gun blindfolded.
Talking to donkeys.
In two new political ads, however, candidates try something decidedly more commonplace: breastfeeding their children.

One ad opens on Maryland Democratic gubernatorial candidate Krish Vignarajah breastfeeding her baby and talking about the lack of women in state and federal elected office in her state.
In the other, Wisconsin Democratic gubernatorial candidate Kelda Roys feeds her infant daughter while talking about how she worked to help Wisconsin ban BPA, a chemical found in plastics, which some scientists have suggested is linked to health problems.

Breastfeeding may be as old as humanity, but doing so openly is rare in the world of political campaigns. As more women flood into politics, the videos represent one way that they are increasingly willing to break the mold of the standard candidate, almost entirely shaped by men, and more fully reflect womanhood in their campaigns.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/23/59610...n-campaign-ads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 09:05 AM

477 posts, read 276,289 times
There's absolutely nothing wrong with mothers breastfeeding. It should be encouraged and supported.

However, the irony is that these candidates are using image of them breastfeeding to garner attention.

This is fine! Yet in public breastfeeding mothers want people to NOT look and of course, not to criticize.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:26 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
As a woman, I wouldn't vote for a breastfeeding candidate for governor or the majority of public offices. She should be at home taking care of her infant for at least the first few years. I would consider her delinquent in her role as a mother.

BTW has she made a statement indicating that her husband will be the stay-at-home parent?

If anything, Americans need to spend more time at home with their children, not less.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:31 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with mothers breastfeeding. It should be encouraged and supported.

However, the irony is that these candidates are using image of them breastfeeding to garner attention.

This is fine! Yet in public breastfeeding mothers want people to NOT look and of course, not to criticize.

Why people still get so worked up at the sight of a boob is beyond me.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:37 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
In places like Saudi Arabia, a mere glimpse of a woman's ankle is enough to make most men extremely sexually aroused because in that cultural, it is sinful for women to show any skin at all.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:44 AM

477 posts, read 276,289 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with the sight of a boob! Why do they get angry when men look though?

Old 03-25-2018, 11:45 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Not even a boob--an areola.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:45 AM

38 posts, read 33,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As a woman, I wouldn't vote for a breastfeeding candidate for governor or the majority of public offices. She should be at home taking care of her infant for at least the first few years. I would consider her delinquent in her role as a mother.

BTW has she made a statement indicating that her husband will be the stay-at-home parent?

If anything, Americans need to spend more time at home with their children, not less.
How do you feel about this woman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsOy3vc9o5E

Old 03-25-2018, 11:48 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Give her a break. She had to serve 24/7 as the host for the creature growing inside, subsisting off her nutrients.

I don't blame her at all for wanting her husband to deal with the screaming baby during the day once it's out her body.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:55 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Is she going to take the baby to the office? Or, is she going to pump and leave the milk in the freezer? Is her husband or the grandmother going to stay home and care for the baby? The baby needs a loving family member 24/7, they aren't a prop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies