Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 10:03 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Mostly, it's just the people who already own guns adding to their collection.
Yep, three percent of Americans own more than half of the guns in America.

"Gun ownership in America is actually highly concentrated. Only 22 to 31% of Americans adults say they personally own a gun. But America’s gun super-owners have amassed huge collections. Just 3% of American adults own a collective 133m firearms – half of America’s total gun stock. These owners have collections that range from eight to 140 guns, the 2015 study found. Their average collection: 17 guns each."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-133m-firearms

Every time there's a mass shooting these terrified fanatics rush out and buy yet more guns. Because 17 just isn't enough.

Basically, we are being held hostage by that three percent of super-owners, aided by the deep pockets of the NRA.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:06 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Mostly, it's just the people who already own guns adding to their collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yep, three percent of Americans own more than half of the guns in America.

"Gun ownership in America is actually highly concentrated. Only 22 to 31% of Americans adults say they personally own a gun. But America’s gun super-owners have amassed huge collections. Just 3% of American adults own a collective 133m firearms – half of America’s total gun stock. These owners have collections that range from eight to 140 guns, the 2015 study found. Their average collection: 17 guns each."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-133m-firearms

Every time there's a mass shooting these terrified fanatics rush out and buy yet more guns. Because 17 just isn't enough.

Basically, we are being held hostage by the super-owners, aided by the deep pockets of the NRA.
nah

Actually, a lot of sportsman embraced the AR style, AR gained popularity for that reason alone. There are many reasons why AR is popular. I don't have to list them all.

I myself am not an AR fan, (simply because I am not familiar with it) I am not naive enough to believe that people obtain that rifle because of "fear" though. Matter of fact, the real weapon experts I know in real life don't really own "guns", they do have a lot of parts so that they can make their own. NONE has said certain weapon is the BEST. It all depends on YOUR own comfort level.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:15 AM

37,164 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Let's ring up another Federal AW ban. Who wants to be the first to buy one after it's set into place? I bought 3 between 1994 and 2004. Let's do this.
This time it will be done with a buyback. If you decide to keep them, you will never be able to use them in public again.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:17 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Remember when some people were trying to claim this next generation would be "conservative"? Lol.

Period of these kids for standing up for what they believe.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
nah

Actually, a lot of sportsman embraced the AR style, AR gained popularity for that reason alone. There are many reasons why AR is popular. I don't have to list them all.

I myself am not an AR fan, (simply because I am not familiar with it) I am not naive enough to believe that people obtain that rifle because of "fear" though. Matter of fact, the real weapon experts I know in real life don't really own "guns", they do have a lot of parts so that they can make their own. NONE has said certain weapon is the BEST. It all depends on YOUR own comfort level.
My statement stands.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
>>>> And the people pushing them with these protests on are counting on them to be clueless, ignorant, impoverished sheep that will do as they're told. Someone explain to me how that's supposed to be a future we can be proud of.
You should go over to Twitter and see what Emma and David and the rest have to say. They are not being fed anything. They started immediately after the shooting stopped.

These students were taught modern journalism at Parkland, and knew how media and cameras work before the shooting. They are attractive, articulate, knowledgeable, and on fire with a passion after watching their classmates gunned down. They are doing precisely nothing they are "told", unless they ask for advice and act on it. You are looking at the future whether you like it or not, and I couldn't be more proud of them. I've been an activist since the late 1960s, and Gen Z is the finest bunch of kids to come along yet. They are going to change the world.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No they weren't sponsored by government run school districts, the American Federation of Teachers, the National Education Association, the Democrats, Bloomberg, Soros, and other Democrat funders, and promoters like these students were.
I was one of them beginning around 1968 or so. If we had had the support that Gen Z does, you would be living in a different sort of country right now that we could all be proud of.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:29 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
How much this resembles those people in the first Russian Revolution of 1917, the first Revolution, from the Shah, in Iran.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:31 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I was one of them beginning around 1968 or so. If we had had the support that Gen Z does, you would be living in a different sort of country right now that we could all be proud of.
Social media is also a tool the activists in the '60s didn't have that is making a difference here. These kids are tech savvy and know how to use these platforms to get their message out. They don't have to rely on the corporate media to do it for them the way the kids in the '60s had to. They can, and are, reaching out to their peers across the country and completely circumventing the middle man.

And the turnout across not only the country, but the world, in response to their call should give pause to everyone who is dissing them. That have tapped into an underlying and largely unacknowledged horror of the ongoing gun violence in America and are giving it a voice.

I get why the gun lovers are afraid of such a mass movement. They should be.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:34 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
My statement stands.
well, you might want to prove your statement. lol

There are several posters SOUND like weapon experts. (I am not going to name names here, there is one in this very thread in my opinion. His user name starts with a P ) I doubt they buy AR-15 out of fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies