Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 08:32 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times

Advertisements

The OP obviously doesn't know what is required to gain a student VISA. It isn't automatic. That said the flaw in the system is that there are very few checks to verify person A is actually student A. You have people who for money will attend and take tests, while the actual person works illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 08:49 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am a third world immigrant. What's your problem?
You weren't invited to this party.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:55 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
So much bigotry and ignorance in this thread.

Why do people insist on making up facts to feed their xenophobia? It's sick.
What you call xenophobia is the expression of a fundamental human right. It needs no further justification. No one needs to "make up facts" to support the obvious right not to be invaded.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 03-26-2018 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 09:35 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Don't a lot of them overstay their visas?

Old 03-27-2018, 07:33 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah, so none of our Universities are growing?

My nice white daughter got accepted into 5 of the top ten law schools and had her choice. Of course, she rejected Duke and ended up on the Left Coast (Boalt Hall)...

OTOH, I know some parents from my old rich burb. Their child went to Virginia Tech and has been binge drinking since - almost died in the hospital. Apparently, this is a big part of the culture (according to mom and him)...

I'd prefer a nice Asian or Indian student who actually behaves themselves.

Elon Musk - from S. Africa
Bezos and Jobs - both one Generation from Syria.
Google Founder - born in Russia
There are literally tens of thousands of such people enhancing our lives with medical research and most everything else.

And you want.....like....some kind of "set aside" for dumber Americans? In most cases it's up to the College - if it's a state school you have a point and can lobby to allow dumber people in there.
What a racist post. All Asian and Indian students "actually behave themselves," while all American students are "dumber." Not to mention the fact that you seem to equate "white" with "American."

Old 03-27-2018, 07:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
In my experience, international students, just like domestic students, run the gamut. Some are here to party on their parents' dime, like my daughter's freshman year roommate, who was dumber than a box of rocks. Others are truly exemplary students whose presence elevates the learning experience for everyone enrolled in a program.

As far as I'm concerned, it's up to the universities to determine who they want to admit. I'm not terribly worried about international students taking up spaces more rightfully granted to American students, because those on student visas typically make up a VERY small percentage of total enrollment.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,228,506 times
In my experience, international students are much more dedicated - especially people from third world countries. For them, studying in the United States is an amazing opportunity that they feel fortunate to have so they are sure not to waste it. "Immigrant drive" is real.

Americans tend to be spoiled.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:13 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
In my experience, international students are much more dedicated - especially people from third world countries. For them, studying in the United States is an amazing opportunity that they feel fortunate to have so they are sure not to waste it. "Immigrant drive" is real.

Americans tend to be spoiled.
For undergraduates, not so much. Source: my daughter's dorm, which houses most of the international students at her university. Many of them are there to play, and as we live in a state with legal marijuana, to get high. They also drive around town in expensive cars courtesy of daddy's millions. (Honest to God, the parking lot is filled to the brim with luxury cars, and they don't belong to the domestic students.) It's really very dismaying. The grad students are different. They're here to work.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:15 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You weren't invited to this party.
I invited him.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:39 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Well, it'll continue to be necessary as Americans write off their own as too dumb/spoiled/lazy.

And I have to laugh at the idea of international students being less spoiled. They almost all came from wealthy families back home. Several of my roommates were from Asian countries, and they weren't used to not having a maid pick up after them all the time.

They drove around in luxury cars, regularly shopped at high-end designer shops, partied at exclusive clubs instead of working at night...while the Americans were making do with thrift stores, cheap ramen, and bicycling to and from their crap jobs between classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies