Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 05:39 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
"Commie filth" Top 5%er here champ, hardly a commie.

Go get your head examined before you pop off to someone in real life with your certifiable insanity.

This rabbit hole of right wing media/conspiracy theories/paranoia and the fact that your confidence in your own lunacy snowballs exponentially with the more nuts you get....very dangerous.
There's plenty of wealthy commies...what's your point?

Its not wealth that makes commies dangerous - its the control freak tendencies and the aggression towards others.

People who are afraid of other people having the means or abilities to defend themselves are commies - but think why that is? Because they know that ability for defense stops their aggression.

If you don't harbor ill intent towards others, why in the world would it be so important to disarm them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Huh?

The entire point of the Constitution is that we are a civilized society based on laws, not on the will of those who use brute force to get their way or those who have the most weapons.
Correct. The point of the Constitution is so that the mob can't just run roughshod over people they don't like, or suppress speech they don't like.

The Constitution is the antidote to the tyranny of monarchy, autocracy, and mob rule - it provides for the inviolate rights of the individual, and prioritizes them over the "collective" or the state.

That's why commies hate our Constitution. It literally foils all their plans, and craps on their aggressive lust for controlling others.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Not in the same sense but I have encountered an act of violence once. I won't go into the details but I moved away. I used my body. I punched him I jolted up. I threatened to kill myself (didn't mean it but knew it would hit something..it was in the way I said it. not saying anyone else should. did whatever I had to do. no gun necessary. when something didn't work I tried something else) That got him to leave me alone. He did key the car but the important thing was I was untouched
Another time my ex smacked my keister. I smacked him back.
Now granted these aren't as violent as some other encounters but if my safety were that much in danger I would be moving to a different area. Worst comes to worst I have a dog who would scare most people off (he bit my ex and drew enough blood). Even my sweetie pie can scare people if she wants to just by her bark. I also put up a lot of walls being an introverted loner so rarely can someone get close enough to hurt me in the first place. I'm very good at reading people so if someone rubs me the wrong way I stay away from them. I used to not listen to that but now I am better at listening to my intuition.
You know why I've been lucky to not encounter physical threats otherwise? I'm sure our gun control laws help. If there were no restrictions on guns then I probably would have to worry.

Brilliant...so your response to the threat of GBI or death from others is to offer to do their job for them??

Or to be an anti-social recluse. Great way to live.

I think its pretty clear you are woefully unprepared to provide for your own defense and safety.

It is insulting to actual victims to have someone tell them their experiences aren't real or that they should have been able to defend themselves....just because of your one personal experience that didn't wind up with you being harmed.

I know there are plenty of women on this board who will tell you that you're full of crap, so I don't have to.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:02 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,596,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You can say No, until pigs can fly on their own.
Unless you are feared, the word No is meaningless.

Welcome to bondage, my fellow humans.
Other humans control you very easy and without any worry, if you have no way to stop it.

I hope you enjoy being owned.

They will oppress you, way before the armed are ever oppressed.
It is your choice to give up your liberty and freedom. Try forcing me to.
From my cold dead hand.
If your comment is comment is to be true to form, then I suppose EVERY nation should have nuclear weapons technology. In that case, do you really believe that drops the odds of nuclear war?

At any rate, physical fear isn't the only fear out there by any means. Social attitudes conveyed by words also carries another type of fear - social ostracism ("sticks and stones" rhetoric notwithstanding). These days, using derogatory slurs in public (and many not so public places) is one of the fastest ways to get a verbal whipping and social ostracism. It works on the international stage these days, too. In this day and age, if a nation's leaders massacred its protesters, they are much more likely to get strong ostracism from the international community. This is especially true in the Social Media age. The Vietnam War protests did a lot to force the US to leave South Vietnam. Very little (but no less tragic) armed resistance from the authorities. Same with South Africa, even with its blood-soaked Apartheid era protests. Blacks (for the most part) didn't take up arms against the racist regime. Sanctions plus the non-violent (largely) collapse of Communism in Eastern Europe forced the South African government's hand. So capacity for physical violence alone doesn't mean anything.

"Owned" is vague. I take it you mean that without guns, the US will turn into Russia or China. Not in this country any time soon. The rule of law is too deeply entrenched in our culture for that to happen. Even Trump and his backers aren't enough to grind that into the ground.

At any rate, society does need laws to protect itself and the integrity - integrity - of the capitalist system; namely rules governing it so that it minimizes harm to the consumers and even store owners alike (pollution control, labor laws, laws stating which kinds of contracts ought be (or not) enforceable, consumer protection laws, consumer product safety laws, and I'm just warming up).
This is simply more paranoia based on a combination of "New World Order" and leftover "Communist bogeyman" premises that have no basis in fact.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:18 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,474 times
Quote:
My attacker was heavy set (if it helps to know he had a murder on his record. don't know how he got out of prison for that but somehow he did) and I tend to say I have toothpick arms doll hands and skinny legs. It doesn't work when you aren't as determined but I have found that when you get angry and fed up enough to stop someone you have strength you didn't even know you had.
I'm not saying that I would blame anyone for using a gun in that sense and especially not that it is her fault (not at all). However women especially need to have that mentality to fight back. Once you have that you are far better off.

As far as being wheelchair bound, the odds change a little. That's fine. I don't know. I've never been in a wheelchair but I do know that if you're not in a wheelchair you can probably fight back without a gun since I did and I consider myself the most physically weak person ever.

Using a gun is always your choice..just saying you don't always have to.
A weapon should be your last choice...........that does not mean wait until you are half dead before it becomes an option......

Old 03-27-2018, 07:15 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Brilliant...so your response to the threat of GBI or death from others is to offer to do their job for them??

Or to be an anti-social recluse. Great way to live.

I think its pretty clear you are woefully unprepared to provide for your own defense and safety.

It is insulting to actual victims to have someone tell them their experiences aren't real or that they should have been able to defend themselves....just because of your one personal experience that didn't wind up with you being harmed.

I know there are plenty of women on this board who will tell you that you're full of crap, so I don't have to.
Oh for crying out loud you're full of crap. You saw what you wanted to see as you were looking to be offended. If that was the case I would be by extension saying that my own experience wasn't real.
I never said I wasn't harmed before that. I was actually harmed several times because I did not reach that point where I stood up for myself. It was only when I said enough was enough that is when they left me alone. Being assertive is still not easy. In fact I'm still working on it so you're right that I might still be unprepared for defense but that's only because I need to apply more mental work in myself to get there. It wasn't even easy to get to the point where I am now but it can be done.

Okay to be fair I wasn't saying that you had to be an introverted loner. I have my own way of explaining things as a ND so my filter malfunctioned again. It made sense at the time. So the point was really that people trust others way too much. I think I said before even that I don't believe in being too cynical however you do have to be careful too. You have to watch people and put up walls when you feel you might be in danger.

As for the me threatening suicide on him it worked because it showed him that he had really hurt me mentally..not at all saying it's good to copy just my own personal way of expressing that he had done wrong. A lot of people are scum this is true but even with many of those people they do have this line that they don't cross. Except for the most mentally sick of people many people on this earth aren't serial killers..it's just that the few that are get more attention. If you do happen to cross a serial killer type then fine but in many cases if you assert yourself confidently and sometimes use what god gave you I don't think people will mess with you.
Why am I saying all this despite all the pessimism I've had all my life? One example was the documentary I saw on John Lennon's killer. He thought what he was doing was right. Maybe if he had gotten more mental health help he would have never pulled the trigger. A lot of people don't generally care about others. I still maintain that some might even let you die but they won't generally be the ones to pull the trigger. It's just not something that humans generally have in them..sometimes because they know the guilt they'll have after or if nothing else the threat of jail. For the scummiest of people they won't do it because they know they'll be put away. For the few that wouldn't care about any of that that is where the importance of the gun restrictions come in.

By all means it's your choice what you do but sometimes I wonder if people are using guns as a crutch. To me it's far more satisfying to beat my perpetrator the old fashioned way. What happens if your gun didn't fire? What happens if you shoot at the wrong person? I just don't like the idea of telling people that we can't survive without guns especially since some of us wouldn't be comfortable with using one. You're basically telling people that they're going to die if they don't own a gun and that is wrong.

The only way I will rely on the protection of a gun is if I ever got into the public eye and in that case there will be armed guards but I'm too irrelevant (as are most of us) to worry about stuff like that. If any one has to worry about their safety it's probably celebrities but that is all and even then gun restrictions might fix that.

Last edited by Nickchick; 03-27-2018 at 07:49 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 08:10 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You can say No, until pigs can fly on their own.
Unless you are feared, the word No is meaningless.

Welcome to bondage, my fellow humans. Other humans control you very easy and without any worry, if you have no way to stop it.

I hope you enjoy being owned. They will oppress you, way before the armed are ever oppressed.
It is your choice to give up your liberty and freedom. Try forcing me to. From my cold dead hand.

Really? You conflate freedom with violence? Every time you get into a tussle, every time someone says "No" to you, your first thought is to reach for your gun? Normal people don't have that kind of paranoia, nor that smug pride in the ability to kill.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:22 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,596,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Really? You conflate freedom with violence? Every time you get into a tussle, every time someone says "No" to you, your first thought is to reach for your gun? Normal people don't have that kind of paranoia, nor that smug pride in the ability to kill.
He also assumes that the government is out to take our freedoms in the first place. Totally oblivious to the fact that the US Army is more than capable of taking out civilians armed with, well, civilian firearms.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Oh for crying out loud you're full of crap. You saw what you wanted to see as you were looking to be offended. If that was the case I would be by extension saying that my own experience wasn't real.
I never said I wasn't harmed before that. I was actually harmed several times because I did not reach that point where I stood up for myself. It was only when I said enough was enough that is when they left me alone. Being assertive is still not easy. In fact I'm still working on it so you're right that I might still be unprepared for defense but that's only because I need to apply more mental work in myself to get there. It wasn't even easy to get to the point where I am now but it can be done.

Okay to be fair I wasn't saying that you had to be an introverted loner. I have my own way of explaining things as a ND so my filter malfunctioned again. It made sense at the time. So the point was really that people trust others way too much. I think I said before even that I don't believe in being too cynical however you do have to be careful too. You have to watch people and put up walls when you feel you might be in danger.

As for the me threatening suicide on him it worked because it showed him that he had really hurt me mentally..not at all saying it's good to copy just my own personal way of expressing that he had done wrong. A lot of people are scum this is true but even with many of those people they do have this line that they don't cross. Except for the most mentally sick of people many people on this earth aren't serial killers..it's just that the few that are get more attention. If you do happen to cross a serial killer type then fine but in many cases if you assert yourself confidently and sometimes use what god gave you I don't think people will mess with you.
Why am I saying all this despite all the pessimism I've had all my life? One example was the documentary I saw on John Lennon's killer. He thought what he was doing was right. Maybe if he had gotten more mental health help he would have never pulled the trigger. A lot of people don't generally care about others. I still maintain that some might even let you die but they won't generally be the ones to pull the trigger. It's just not something that humans generally have in them..sometimes because they know the guilt they'll have after or if nothing else the threat of jail. For the scummiest of people they won't do it because they know they'll be put away. For the few that wouldn't care about any of that that is where the importance of the gun restrictions come in.

By all means it's your choice what you do but sometimes I wonder if people are using guns as a crutch. To me it's far more satisfying to beat my perpetrator the old fashioned way. What happens if your gun didn't fire? What happens if you shoot at the wrong person? I just don't like the idea of telling people that we can't survive without guns especially since some of us wouldn't be comfortable with using one. You're basically telling people that they're going to die if they don't own a gun and that is wrong.

The only way I will rely on the protection of a gun is if I ever got into the public eye and in that case there will be armed guards but I'm too irrelevant (as are most of us) to worry about stuff like that. If any one has to worry about their safety it's probably celebrities but that is all and even then gun restrictions might fix that.
Go sell crazy someplace else.

If you want to be a victim- go ahead. You don't get to make decisions for anyone else, especially not normal people.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:39 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
While Bent Bow will never be the next Shakespeare, you missed his meaning entirely. The person saying "no" should be armed. An example is a woman who has an aggressive man coming on to her. Does "no" do any good if it is just 2 people present?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies