Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 07:23 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Come voting time they will all be registered Democrat and bused to the polls by a bus owned by the Democrat party.
This is one reason democrats are so against voter ID. They would lose the homeless vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 07:25 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,701,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Really? What are the conservatives doing to get these people off the streets and help them become productive members of society?
lmao!!! So now it’s the conservatives’ fault for not forcing liberals off the street? Have you ever considered that this is a free country and people can either choose to work for a living or live in the streets? Homo Sapiens lived like this for millions of years. There’s nothing horrible about living out in nature as opposed to an airtight mold-infested home. I suppose you think that forcing Native American out of their teepees and into “modern” Reservations was a benevolent undertaking?

Old 03-28-2018, 07:28 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 7 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
You know, I'm getting a little sick of being told by people who know nothing about our society except the glimpses they see of it from the outside that we WANT people to be homeless because we think they're losers. You and everyone else who repeats that slander can fk right off. We spend hundreds of billions of dollars on anti-poverty programs every year. There are whole armies of people doing everything they can to help. But for better or worse we DO have a legal system that makes it next to impossible to help those who, for reasons of incapacity or just plain stubbornness, refuse to be helped.
What sick of people like The Los Angeles Times.

If you spend that much and have all this programs then why do you have areas such as skid row in Los Angeles, which is so bad it's a health hazard.

The problem is clearly deeper in relation to a lack of welfare safety nets and people struggling in society and this is merely reflected in the LA Times articles I posted.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:33 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
What sick of people like The Los Angeles Times.

If you spend that much and have all this programs then why do you have areas such as skid row in Los Angeles, which is so bad it's a health hazard.
If the number of times I've already explained it to you weren't sufficient to get it through your thick skull, I doubt explaining it once more will do the trick.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:36 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 7 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If the number of times I've already explained it to you weren't sufficient to get it through your thick skull, I doubt explaining it once more will do the trick.
As the LA Times clearly points out, the vast majority of Americans could end up homeless as a result of bad luck, and many homeless people are not homeless out of choice or indeed due to alcohol, drugs or mental illness.

Even if people do have problems there are supported housing projects and mental health units in most countries.

The sheer scale and levels of poverty in Los Angeles and Southern California is so bad that people are talking about the outbreak of diseases, due to the pure filth, poverty and vermin infestation, and I am sorry but that's not acceptable in any city in the US or civilised world.

People are even stating in the OP's video that India had less severe poverty than parts of Los Angles.

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-28-2018 at 07:45 AM..

Old 03-28-2018, 07:58 AM

12,036 posts, read 6,565,777 times
Quote:
Come voting time they will all be registered Democrat and bused to the polls by a bus owned by the Democrat party.
This ^^^

Old 03-28-2018, 07:58 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
We British look at America with great curiosity don't we BNW? This vast land, speaking the same language as us, yet so different.

The mentality is very different. An independent spirit, and a love for a story of folks lifting themselves out of dire straits by sheer effort and will.

I am convinced that many Americans despise failure. Folks living on the street represent something to fear, and look sideways at. A deep felt fear of 'could this happen to me?' I have read many Americans are only a couple of paychecks from the gutter.

In recent decades, the crumbs off the rich man's table are less than they were. We know this ourselves from events in England. The situation has deteriorated here as well.

Some posting here speak of many of their homeless not wanting to move back into society. Of liking this way of life. Maybe that's true of some. But surely, many have genuinely fallen on hard times, and cannot find a way back.

A rich country, which I admire in so many ways, surely cannot allow this situation to continue to get worse. Does America want to see permanent shanty towns on the edge of it's cities? Does the right wing want to see more and more citizens fail, then tell them to lift themselves by their bootstraps? The occasional heart warming story of someone coming back from the gutter, cannot be enough surely?

There have always been folks who are weak, and drink too much, and in recent decades, harm themselves with other drugs of choice. Most people work hard, and ask why should help be given to those who fail. First, these people need to be got off the streets. Rents are too high, and government needs to step in, and build affordable housing. The same is true here in England. Some folks are getting rich off inflated rents, knowing supply and demand is on their side.

Capitalism is failing us. It is obvious to all. Wages have been stagnant for decades. Our jobs have left our shores to places elsewhere. Many folks are struggling to keep their heads above water, and some have fallen by the wayside. Does American continue on the same path as now? Just accept things getting worse for the ordinary citizen?

More and more mechanisation is on the way. Many more at the bottom of the pile will lose their jobs in the years to come. The rich can continue to live in their gated communities. Only leaving in their cars, to visit their friends and restaurants, where they can tut tut about the homeless, and how disgusting it all is. Just keep blaming the poor, and turning their heads away. Keeping their guns well oiled, and waiting for the day they may need to use them. Is this the future for Reagan's shining city upon a hill?
They are doing the opposite of building affordable housing, they are gentrifying cities to bring in more upper class white people and creating more homeless. They deserve to live with the consequences. Really what do they expect when so many people are displaced.

Low income people with no safety net or family support don't have many choices anymore. Used to be you could live in a room or crappy apartment able to walk to your job in the city, now even that minimal existence is threatened. Job taken by immigrants, apartment taken by hipsters. Maybe when they lose every last thing and every bit of dignity then they turn to drugs and just stop caring.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Alot of this has to do with southern CA having almost perfect weather, year round. This actually draws homeless people from other states, to come and be homeless there, HI has the same problem, some homeless spend the last of their money on a one way plane ticket to HI.

I cant say I blame them, if I knew I was going to be homeless, I certainly would not stay in a place that gets brutally cold winters and hot humid summers. I would naturally seek the most pleasant climate I could find to live in.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:51 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
I think we all know how bad it is.

Is this thread meant to enlighten or simply provide another opportunity to bash California without offering any solutions?

Old 03-28-2018, 09:04 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Why can’t they at least provide toilets and showers for them, and clean them regularly? And dedicate some land where they can have their tents if that’s what they want, like a campsite? The reason they don’t want to be in a shelter is because a shelter has rules. They can’t beg for money, shoot up, drink alcohol, keep their pets, or whatever else they want to do. At least in a dedicated space, they could have basic hygiene.
They did put porta potties in skid row. It was a disaster. People used them to shoot up thier drugs in. Hookers used them for you know what. They turned into biohazards very quickly and had to be removed. I think there are showers in homeless shelters.

This problem rests on the shoulders of the politicians. There's millions in accts for homeless and nobody can agree what to do with it. A lot of people in the city would lose their job if homeless were all helped off the streets too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies