Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 11:46 PM

77,726 posts, read 59,858,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And what does Kim want in return?

Kim isn't doing this out of the kindness in his heart.

Kim expects to get something in return, so what does he want?

And then JFK backed down and agreed to withdraw the Jupiter missiles from Italy and Turkey in exchange for the Soviets removing their SS-4s and SS-5s.
Yep.....great post.

If NK gives up nukes it's going to be in exchange for *assurances*, removal of sanctions etc.

My thinking is a peace treaty with promises not to do A-B or C to each other.

The problem being past history's results lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 11:55 PM

77,726 posts, read 59,858,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
This is how I see it playing out.

North Korea keeps their nukes, and keeps making more in secret. They deny any accusations, and work on a "peaceful" satellite launch system. They do stop detonating nukes though-after all, they know they work now.

If Trump calls them out, they just say "fake news". If Trump gets aggressive then China steps in to defend the poor defenseless North Korea. They have the supply line advantage, and use it. Theyve picked the place of combat. And its not over their property, or property where we have a advantage. China threatens any country that provides basing to us.

And...we are the aggressor in this. Boltons appointment makes this all work for China, and NK.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._missile_tests

All of those launches predate consideration of Bolton by 4 months or more.

Soooo, all those launched over Japan etc.....were the fault of a guy that wouldn't be selected until almost a year later?

Can you explain your logic on this?

Old 03-28-2018, 11:58 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,530,502 times
Quote:
This is how I see it playing out.

North Korea keeps their nukes, and keeps making more in secret. They deny any accusations, and work on a "peaceful" satellite launch system. They do stop detonating nukes though-after all, they know they work now.

If Trump calls them out, they just say "fake news". If Trump gets aggressive then China steps in to defend the poor defenseless North Korea. They have the supply line advantage, and use it. Theyve picked the place of combat. And its not over their property, or property where we have a advantage. China threatens any country that provides basing to us.

And...we are the aggressor in this. Boltons appointment makes this all work for China, and NK.

And Trump fell right into their trap, when he gave the job to a mad man like Bolton. But he doesn't report for duty until next month. Maybe some element of sense and reason will penetrate Trump's mind before then and Bolton will get fired before he actually has the job. If I could have one wish, it would be that Trump would be required to read this forum, every day. Only the version he saw, would have all the posts by the Russian-paid stooges, marked as such.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:01 AM

34,258 posts, read 19,223,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._missile_tests

All of those launches predate consideration of Bolton by 4 months or more.

Soooo, all those launched over Japan etc.....were the fault of a guy that wouldn't be selected until almost a year later?

Can you explain your logic on this?
Sure, since you have completely missed the point.

Boltons appointment was announced. Suddenly this made North Korea going to China a VERY effective strategy for BOTH China and north Korea. Bolton is going to push for war on Korea. Just as I suspect Korea is not negotiating in good faith, Bolton will be absolutely certain.

And if China wants a actual conflict, having Bolton there to push for one while North Korea looks like the victim is a huge win for China. They get a nice sanitized war that happens over and around North Korea, and we look like the bad guy. Without Bolton, I dont think Trump would fall for that. With Bolton though? Yeah this is workable for China. And North Korea gets to play the victim, and then later use it as justification for restarting their nuclear work because our attack will demonstrate EXACTLY why they need it.

The end result? If we arent willing to TAKE North Korea on the ground, and are just going to attempt to bomb and missile them? A nice air and sea war with China. Something I think they may want as they think they can win it. Especially since our supply lines will be longer then theirs. China doesn't want a war that involves us hitting their property though. This is a win-win for them in every way. Remember, we will be the bad guys striking first.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:04 AM

34,258 posts, read 19,223,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
China are weak, not a threat.
China has limited power projection capability. But in their own back yard they can give us a serious run for our money. Especially if they can define the limits of the engagement.

For example-air and sea only, non nuclear, in and around North Korea will give them a huge force multiplier in comparison to US forces that are having to deal with a extremely long supply chain.

This sort of conflict would play to all of their advantages.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:55 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,613,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep.....great post.

If NK gives up nukes it's going to be in exchange for *assurances*, removal of sanctions etc.

My thinking is a peace treaty with promises not to do A-B or C to each other.

The problem being past history's results lol.
No kidding, I can't imagine anyone thinking that Kim's signature on a treaty is worth the ink he uses up signing it.

It's China that counts here. And I think they are getting just what they want.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:57 AM

5,774 posts, read 5,057,826 times
Quote:
China has limited power projection capability. But in their own back yard they can give us a serious run for our money. Especially if they can define the limits of the engagement.

For example-air and sea only, non nuclear, in and around North Korea will give them a huge force multiplier in comparison to US forces that are having to deal with a extremely long supply chain.

This sort of conflict would play to all of their advantages.
China will kick arse anywhere in East Asia. Any attack on NK will give China the excuse to protect NK, take back Taiwan island and solidify their hold of the SCS. And they will have the moral cover because they will be protecting a weak client state from a big bully. So go ahead Bolton, it's time for you to help China strengthen its position in East Asia.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:41 AM

12,852 posts, read 7,038,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Some good thoughts.

As others have said, this meeting appears to show NK pledging or committing to its partnership with China.

Of course, the reverse is true: China is also pledging or committing to its partnership with NK. It may well be a subtle warning to the US of A to not even consider attacking NK.

If the end result is NK getting rid of its nuclear program, all is well. Like many, I harbor doubts. One problem is: we do not know what the two leaders actually talked about. Public statements is one thing, what was said privately may be a different kettle of fish.

I am still rather alarmed about the President of China being given the power by its legislature to extend his rule beyond 2023, perhaps for life (technically, term limits were abolished). These term limits had been enacted during the 1980s, when China was more 'liberal' as they opened up to the West. Now, they have reversed course.

Anyway, two totalitarian leaders meeting does not make me feel all warm and fuzzy about the future. I doubt they spoke of how they can make the World a better place.

Why would that alarm you the leader of China is simply picked by party leaders not elected by the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
China will kick arse anywhere in East Asia. Any attack on NK will give China the excuse to protect NK, take back Taiwan island and solidify their hold of the SCS. And they will have the moral cover because they will be protecting a weak client state from a big bully. So go ahead Bolton, it's time for you to help China strengthen its position in East Asia.

China will always protect NK from attack, but as far as kicking arse attacking countries in Asia they have much to lose as we do if they want to have a nuclear exchange with the US even worse as majority of their populations are more compacted into cities then we are I doubt they have plans to expand their borders into other countries. While people see China as a super power they are far from that in reality lot of their economy is simply fudged numbers made up by party leaders as we saw last year with making it illegal to sell stocks when their markets tanked.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:17 AM

5,774 posts, read 5,057,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Why would that alarm you the leader of China is simply picked by party leaders not elected by the people.

China will always protect NK from attack, but as far as kicking arse attacking countries in Asia they have much to lose as we do if they want to have a nuclear exchange with the US even worse as majority of their populations are more compacted into cities then we are I doubt they have plans to expand their borders into other countries. While people see China as a super power they are far from that in reality lot of their economy is simply fudged numbers made up by party leaders as we saw last year with making it illegal to sell stocks when their markets tanked.
Ok whatever you say. Military analysts know far more than we do, and they do not consider China a military pushover in any shape or form. A US attack on NK will degenerate into a nuke exchange between us and China because otherwise China will win it all. The us will have to resort to nukes and do the us will need to think this first attack on NK through.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:08 PM

12,852 posts, read 7,038,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Ok whatever you say. Military analysts know far more than we do, and they do not consider China a military pushover in any shape or form. A US attack on NK will degenerate into a nuke exchange between us and China because otherwise China will win it all. The us will have to resort to nukes and do the us will need to think this first attack on NK through.
It would be reverse China cannot project strategic power without using their ICBM's. China has numerical advantages on the ground as they did in 1950's sending waves of people to their deaths China suffered far more casualties then the US did in the Korean war. Even in 1950's China was very concerned with US bombing of their city's which would have changed the outcome of Korean war the Russia would have backed China led to WW3.

Today China has the same problems they could not sustain a war when bombs are raining down on their city's they would have to use ICBM's they do not have the Air power to match US air power . Their ICBM force is nothing compared to our Ohio class subs which would annihilate their city's into the stone age. This all leads to WW3 as my point before China has lot to lose as we do they aren't going to attempt invasions of countries just like US isn't going to invade NK.

I think the last threat NK made about testing a Hydrogen bomb near Guam would have been a trigger to war China even said in public that if NK did that they would not come to their aid if US attacked. We haven't seen anymore testing since that statement was made by China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies