Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:32 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Last week, we had a discussion on Craigslist and free speech in relation to the removal of the personal ad section of the website. They did not want to take the risk that they would be linked to a crime.

Some of you said that it blocked free speech because the government changed a rule possibly linking websites to criminal activity. I said Craigslist freely acted to remove the risk of a lawsuit, and were not compelled directly by the government to remove the ads.

How about this one?

Sampson County student suspended for drawing of stick figure holding gun

A middle school student in Sampson County was suspended over a doodle that showed stick figures holding guns and knives.

The incident happened several weeks ago at Roseboro Salemburg Middle School and the father of the 13-year-old boy said he can’t believe his son received a two-day suspension for what he calls a harmless picture.

“I see a guy in a race car souped-up. I see a tower that he build. I see him holding his gun, he’s a deer hunter. I see him with a magician and I see him as a Ninja Turtle,” James Herring said. “[He’s] just expressing himself, nothing violent.”

“Due to everything happening in the nation, we’re just being extra vigilant about all issues of safety,” said Sampson County Schools’ Superintendent Eric Bracy.

Herring said his son's drawings were made before the shooting at a Parkland, Fla. school that killed 17 people.

In that last statement, I take that to make the drawing was made before, but the suspension was given afterwards.

Is this curbing free speech?

We have a government run school enforcing what can and can't be expressed in a drawing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 08:38 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times
This is a tough one, I could see both sides of the argument. In 2018 American, kids are being killed in schools on a somewhat regular basis. So any kid that seems "off" and might be known to have an obsession with guns needs to be reported.

That said, this particular story is about a middle school kid who drew a picture of a stick figure with a gun. Should he be removed from school and have his house raided by SWAT? No, he shouldn't.

I mean, if a middle school kid gets in trouble for drawing a stick figure with a gun, what is next? Are we going to take away his G.I. Joes? Can he no longer watch Transformers because they have guns? Can he not play cops and robbers with his friends in the backyard and use sticks as guns?

Old 03-28-2018, 08:40 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
In 2018 American, kids are being killed in schools on a somewhat regular basis.
That's not true at all. You are believing the media hype. School is still one of the safest places kids can be today.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That's not true at all. You are believing the media hype. School is still one of the safest places kids can be today.
Agree - it's not a regular basis.

However - with unending coverage of the issue day after day - it puts the issue in our minds every day and the crisis is blown up to larger proportions.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:00 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That's fair. I almost edited my post after reading it to remove "somewhat regular basis." Maybe that is indeed the media hype machine beating me down.

For what it's worth to anyone, I support the second amendment to include the ownership of semi-auto rifles.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:04 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Of course it is trashing free speech. And it is part of the brainwashing that kids go through in public schools.

They are learning to be afraid of PICTURES. The are being trained to see things as BAD. You get in trouble if you draw pictures. Training>brainwashing.

As if that piece of paper can jump up and attack them.

For those that are scared of it: HINT: That piece of paper ... is just a piece of paper.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:05 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
That's fair. I almost edited my post after reading it to remove "somewhat regular basis." Maybe that is indeed the media hype machine beating me down.

For what it's worth to anyone, I support the second amendment to include the ownership of semi-auto rifles.
We have a Media with a Leftist agenda, and one that likes to inflate controversy for ratings. It is easy to think the sky is falling after watching, or reading any of today's media outlets. If it bleeds, it leads is an old expression, but it is true. Violent crime in the U.S. has been trending down for decades, but the media would have you think it's a war zone other there.

In the many decades on this planet, I have NEVER seen a gun in public other than on a policeman, nor thankfully have I ever witnessed violence, and I've lived in some big cities, in rough neighborhoods.

Thanks for being honest.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:05 AM

I think this is an issue that violates free speech. Why?

In another issue - religion - the reason given as to why prayer was removed in school was because it was essentially the government mandating a religion - which they say can't be done.

So if we are calling it a government institution regarding religion and prayer, then we should be consistent in calling it a government institution regarding free speech.

Then how do you handle truly questionable drawings - or instances like Cruz who was obviously disturbed? I think that's when you deal with the person instead of the drawing, and you take the family aside and say - hey, what's going on here, this is not normal.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:16 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
My impression is that we aren't getting the whole story.

If just a single, or even a couple of drawings were made of say an army guy holding a gun were done by the child and nothing else of concern, then yes, suspending him is ludicrous.

However, if his notebook was filled with page after page of violent drawings with guns, blood, guts and accompanied by written threats or aggressive language, then that is another scenario entirely. With that said, the school should have suggested psychiatric counseling in that scenario, and not just a suspension.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:29 AM

21,140 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I guess the teaching of wars is now forbidden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies