Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 06:18 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I've never seen it spelled out like that before. For those of us younger, the past ten years have been something we thought the country had long moved past. When Obama was elected, the response was a complete shock. And Roseanne was one of the celebrities people were shocked by. When one sees that she was comparing Susan Rice to an ape back in 2013, it all makes sense. In fact many of the most outspoken Trump supporters, that were perfectly fine with him demanding Obama's birth certificate and calling him a Muslim Kenyan, have sooner or later exposed themselves in one way or another.
I'm not even young and I was SHOCKED. I had just kind of gotten active on social media around 2010; maybe and I still didn't see that much until re-election time rolled around. And then I was shocked by things I saw some of my 'friends' and family posting. I was shocked by the whole birth certificate thing.

Yeah. I thought we were better than this.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:26 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm not even young and I was SHOCKED. I had just kind of gotten active on social media around 2010; maybe and I still didn't see that much until re-election time rolled around. And then I was shocked by things I saw some of my 'friends' and family posting. I was shocked by the whole birth certificate thing.

The saddest thing was walking into a bookstore in December 2008 with my young son. In no time they had cranked out numerous books likening Obama to every inconceivable thing and they were prominently displayed at the entrance of the bookstore. No one was buying them, so maybe the owner was invested in the idea (the bookstore is gone now). It was a depressing conversation to have with a young boy.

After seeing Roseanne's history and the other comments she's made, this is a lot less surprising. She was just being who she was, but no one should pretend this isn't who she is. That is her writing these things, it's not like it's someone else writing them for her.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:27 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
The only people who are taking that comment as racist are those who hold circa 1913 progressive attitudes towards race and eugenics. People, who think black people are somehow more closely related to apes than people of other races are the ones taking offense to this. Of course, those of us, who don't think in terms of race understand we are all equally distant to our ape cousins.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:34 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The only people who are taking that comment as racist are those who hold circa 1913 progressive attitudes towards race and eugenics. People, who think black people are somehow more closely related to apes than people of other races are the ones taking offense to this. Of course, those of us, who don't think in terms of race understand we are all equally distant to our ape cousins.
Again, please explain why both Valerie Jarrett and Susan Rice should specifically be compared to apes by Roseanne Barr? I'm seeing a pattern.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:38 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The only people who are taking that comment as racist are those who hold circa 1913 progressive attitudes towards race and eugenics. People, who think black people are somehow more closely related to apes than people of other races are the ones taking offense to this.Of course, those of us, who don't think in terms of race understand we are all equally distant to our ape cousins.
Before Michelle Obama, had any First Lady ever been referred to as an “ape in heels?”
I can assure you that many of the people who made that and equally disgusting comments about that beautiful woman are many of the same people vociferously defending Roseanne now and claiming that they don’t understand the uproar.

There is no defense or deflecting from the inherent racism in that tweet, just as there wasn’t when President Obama was pictured as a monkey.
Admit it, own it and maybe we might, as a country, get past it.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:42 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
im a conservative, I like trump, but I have never like the rosanne show from day one, maybe watch two shows. Just didnt like it. so dont lump all conservative with the show. I think they did the right thing. I told yall three days ago, it be cancelled

Old 05-30-2018, 06:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Think about this, Rosanne wanted out of her contract and the only way it doesn't cost her $$$$$$ is to get fired or for ABC to end the show.

Earlier this month ABC made it clear that they were changing the format next season to be less (as in not at all) "political". Rosanne doesn't like the show being run through the P.C. washing machine so what does she do? She types something so controversial/stupid that ABC would HAVE to shut it down thereby letting her off the hook.

Just a thought...

Old 05-30-2018, 07:08 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

I followed the birthers from their inception in 2008, so none of this shocks me any more. If you want to see some truly vile racism, go to a birther site. Yes, they are still active, and still spewing their racist crap. I admit I was kind of shocked at the beginning, but the birthers cured me of being shocked rather quickly by their blatant, overt and unrepentant racism.

There are a number of birthers here on C-D, several of them in this thread. I don't think I need to point them out. They pretty much out themselves every time they post. Vile is not strong enough a word for them.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:16 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Think about this, Rosanne wanted out of her contract and the only way it doesn't cost her $$$$$$ is to get fired or for ABC to end the show.

Earlier this month ABC made it clear that they were changing the format next season to be less (as in not at all) "political". Rosanne doesn't like the show being run through the P.C. washing machine so what does she do? She types something so controversial/stupid that ABC would HAVE to shut it down thereby letting her off the hook.

Just a thought...
Doubt it. Did you see Rosanne's face when she walked out of the head office of ABC?

Old 05-30-2018, 07:17 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/...32837090164736

Who knew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies