Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 01:54 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I'm not here to be classy. I'm here to argue with the enemies of my country.
So do you think that referring to Trump as "Adolph Gump" did anything to further your argument?

Old 03-28-2018, 01:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
I didn't watch it because I was busy. If it's going to be super political I probably won't. I used to love Roseanne but I got bored with the show well before the series ended (as often happens with long running series).

We'll see.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:55 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Exactly - because 1/3 of the American people are uneducated, uncultured semi-sociopaths who voted for Trump. We completely get it.
There you go twisting what was said. There is every reason to think that uneducated, uncultured semi-sociopaths would be Trump supporters. Would you expect them to be for Bernie? But the converse may not be true. To put it another way, not all Trump supporters are uneducated, uncultured semi-sociopaths like the Conners, but people like the Conners are likely to be Trump supporters.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:58 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I don't have any plans to watch now, but glad to see that the show is off to a good start.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:59 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So do you think that referring to Trump as "Adolph Gump" did anything to further your argument?
Since it succinctly expressed a point that I wanted to make, I'm gonna go with "yes" on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
To put it another way, not all Trump supporters are uneducated, uncultured semi-sociopaths like the Conners...
I strongly disagree.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:03 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
gee, who knew a little tv comedy show about a working class family would bring out all the c-d racists and classist bigots?

Old 03-28-2018, 02:11 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I am not going to comment on the content/return of the Roseanne show, episode 1, because I haven't seen it yet. If you have, and want to talk about the episode's content, please use the Hide/Show. I'll watch it tonight On Demand. But, the premiere, 21 years after the original show ended, had YUGE ratings last night.

"The return delivered an incredible 18.2 million viewers along with an equally impressive 5.1 rating among adults 18-49. According to ABC, this is the highest-rated comedy telecast on any network in nearly four years (since a premiere episode of CBS’ The Big Bang Theory from 2014). In the adult demo, it also trumps Sunday’s blockbuster 60 Minutes episode which featured an interview with Stormy Daniels."

The Conners are a working class family of deplorable Trump supporters. That makes them (the fictional Conner family) unique on TV these days. (Roseanne, the actress and a producer, is also a Trump supporter.)

Are you surprised?

What's your take on this? Feel free to comment on any aspect of why you think the show had jaw dropping ratings success? Do you think it is only curiosity about the first episode of a returning show or is the show filling a void for a large group of people (Trump supporters - blue collar midwest family) who are underrepresented on TV? I don't recall what kind of ratings Will and Grace got when they returned to TV. Are we going to see more TV shows like this or don't they (Hollywood) have writers who can write it?

You also might want to read about what the liberal producers who are not Roseanne had to say?
The Conners are a fictional family. Trump is the most fictional president we've ever had.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:24 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Still trying to figure out how the Conners were "semi'sociopaths..."

Old 03-28-2018, 02:24 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
I have some news for all the conservatives who are salivating over her current support of Trump: Roseanne has, in the past, also spoken out in support of Occupy Wall Street, and run for president as a member of the Green Party (she lost the nomination to Jill Stein.)

I'm also not sure how anyone who considers taking a knee during the national anthem could consider her 1990 performance respectful (I remember a lot of outrage at the time), but apparently being pro-Trump is enough to negate all that.

As for the show, I may check it out. I loved the original, but if this new version becomes as predictable as "Last Man Standing," I'll get bored pretty quickly. It takes extremely deft writing to keep a family comedy with that level of political content fresh. "All in the Family" did it wonderfully, but other efforts haven't been so good.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:26 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
I think John Goodman is a great actor and generally I will see whatever he is in - except Roseanne. Can't stand her and it is not because she is lower or middle class or whatever social class her fictional family is supposed to be - she herself is very is low class. I just don't like her personally - wouldn't have her in my life, don't need her on my TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies