Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 09:34 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times

Advertisements

Meh. I've seen some episodes of the original (it's still run on TV these days), and I couldn't help but notice just how unlikable the main characters were. It was like the Simpsons, but without the humor or wackiness. I honestly didn't care what happened to any of them because it seemed like they simply were miserable, dysfunctional people that were the source of their own problems.

It doesn't surprise me at all that they came back as Trump-lovers - cashing in on the Trump loving lunacy is an obvious ploy, and it fits the random "angry at the world, but unable to fix myself" nature so many Trumpers have. I still don't care what happens to them, and they are still unlikable... just like the loudest of Trump's supporters. Besides - why would I want to watch a TV show that suffers from the same issue as this forum? Bah!

Old 04-07-2018, 02:47 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No struggle, easy to see the lib club queuing up to start the counter post parade, must be posting payday time...
Alrightyyyy then.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
It was because the teen called her grandmother a "stupid hillbilly" after acting like a brat for days. I'm a fairly progressive parent, but you know what? If my teen said that to me because I asked them to get their clothes out of the dryer, they'd be in for a world of hurt. They'd basically be down to a spartan existence and they would no longer have use of the dryer at all. I think she got off easy with a harmless soaking in the sink.

Also, I loved the part when Roseanne stepped into the shower with that brat. Staying at someone else's house and telling them that you "deserve" to hog the shower because you overworked yourself by rinsing off your dish and switching the laundry? GTFO. Literally.
If my child or grandchild talked to me like that, they'd be punished.

I wouldn't throw a temper tantrum in reaction to a temper tantrum.

You know the whole modeling the behavior you wish to see thing?

Old 04-07-2018, 04:29 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If my child or grandchild talked to me like that, they'd be punished.

I wouldn't throw a temper tantrum in reaction to a temper tantrum.

You know the whole modeling the behavior you wish to see thing?
I think that was kind of the point. Darlene had been modeling and modeling and Roseanne had had enough. She didn’t have the option to impose a logical consequence because Darlene told her to butt out. So she hosed her down. Taught the brat that she might be able to act like that with her mother but it wasn’t gonna fly with grandma. Again, she wasn’t hurt. She was wet. And momentarily speechless, which was a good thing.

The shower thing was a logical consequence. Roseanne didn’t yank her out, she just said fine and jumped in with her, knowing the kid would leave on her own accord. Hog the bathroom that six people have to share and maybe someone else will decide it’s no longer your turn.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I think that was kind of the point. Darlene had been modeling and modeling and Roseanne had had enough. She didn’t have the option to impose a logical consequence because Darlene told her to butt out. So she hosed her down. Taught the brat that she might be able to act like that with her mother but it wasn’t gonna fly with grandma. Again, she wasn’t hurt. She was wet. And momentarily speechless, which was a good thing.

The shower thing was a logical consequence. Roseanne didn’t yank her out, she just said fine and jumped in with her, knowing the kid would leave on her own accord. Hog the bathroom that six people have to share and maybe someone else will decide it’s no longer your turn.
Agree to disagree.

I think any adult who acts like that and means it (aka not a joke) is pretty sad.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:27 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
"All In the Family" was on for years. Featured two politically different people living in the same house.

It wasn't a leap to think this show would do as well. DUH.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:18 AM

911 posts, read 262,659 times
Yea I think people are so upset about it just because its TRUMP being discussed..... Like you said NO ONE CARED WHAT ARCHIE SAYS!!!

Old 04-08-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambo View Post
Yea I think people are so upset about it just because its TRUMP being discussed..... Like you said NO ONE CARED WHAT ARCHIE SAYS!!!
Nope.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:12 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Nope.
Exactly. Roseanne's family is a bunch of miserable, dysfunctional, and immature clods now, just as they were back in the day. They are not to be admired, and I see nothing "funny" about watching grown adults act in such a way. Adding Trump-loving on top of it is just the proverbial icing on the cake. It should surprise no one, really.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:22 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
I grew up in a house with seven people and one bathroom. You did not take long, luxurious showers because it's likely there would be people pounding on the door needing to use the facilities. It would have been rude and selfish, and we weren't raised that way.

Rosanne asked her granddaughter nicely several times to finish up, but the girl refused, stating that she "deserved" to take as long as she wished, everyone else be damned. Rosanne gave her a lesson in how to live in a house with many people and one bathroom, and she did it effectively and with a smile.

I thought that was the best part of the episode, probably because it resonated with me so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies