Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 03:36 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,393,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Will make ABC’s bankruptcy that much sweeter.
Why is that, because they canned a star who is one of the public faces of their organization who went public with her racism? Why would they let someone like her continue to fill that role?

Old 05-29-2018, 03:39 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,062,028 times
Styxhenhammer666 posted a vlog about Roseanne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8vj1XKIKks

Old 05-29-2018, 03:40 PM

17,475 posts, read 9,302,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Actually, Archie Bunker was played as a buffoon of sorts. He was unaware of how discordant his ideas were in a changing world. Archie wasn't the hero--he was the anti-hero. You understood that you could love him in spite of his racism, sexism, etc., as long as he was on the right trajectory and continued to learn the lessons.
I watched All in the Family in re-runs - really hilarious and important for the times.
Point is ...... (with no background on the stars, because few knew much about them in the early 70's)

Could All in the Family go on TV today?? Truth is .... absolutely no way.

We have "learned the lesson" by 2018 - it's not pretty.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:41 PM

7,271 posts, read 4,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
While we are on the topic of Trump and racist remarks:

Trump criticized a black accountant: “Black guys counting my money! I hate it. … I think that the guy is lazy. And it’s probably not his fault, because laziness is a trait in blacks.”

Trump described Mexican immigrants as criminals and “rapists.”

Trump called for “a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States,”

Trump vulgarly called for less immigration from Haiti and Africa (calling them s___ hole countries) and more from Norway.

He spent years suggesting that the nation’s first black president was born not in the United States but in Kenya and has never admitted otherwise.

He lied about President Obama “issued a statement for Kwanzaa but failed to issue one for Christmas.”

He stated “Our inner cities, African Americans, Hispanics are living in hell because it’s so dangerous. You walk down the street, you get shot.”

He called Puerto Ricans “politically motivated ingrates.”

He called those who were marching with white supremacists in Charlottesville, Va. “very fine people.”

Trump endorsed Roy Moore who spoke positively about slavery and called for an African-American Muslim member of Congress not to be seated.

Trump pardoned –and praised Joe Arpaio, the Arizona sheriff who profiled Latinos and kept immigrants in brutal prison conditions.

Trump mocked Senator Elizabeth Warren as “Pocahontas.”

Trump has tweeted a six-pointed star alongside a pile of cash

While being briefed by a Korean-American intelligence analyst on Pakistan, Trump wondered aloud why she was not working on North Korea policy.

He referred to a Hispanic Miss Universe as “Miss Housekeeping.”

If ABC can cancel Rosanne for one tweet, this should be enough to cancel Trump.

Where are you sourcing these comments? Almost like there is a Trump basher's library that Trump haters go to that feeds them info. Is that the case? Certainly you didn't dig through years of videos and interviews to get these. How do we know they are accurate and in context?

Old 05-29-2018, 03:42 PM

25,858 posts, read 16,569,925 times
I’ve seen a little of the Planet of the Apes. I’m missing the racial angle here. They are animals, not people.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,075,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Styxhenhammer666 posted a vlog about Roseanne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8vj1XKIKks
I posted it already. I agree with him. I can careless about the show.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:44 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,427,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So Jimmy Kimmel is able to spew out extreme Trump hate every night, and that's OK to ABC. Yeah because of Iger. The extreme far left CEO of Disney.
Jimmy stays within the limits of decency. It's a responsibility as a public figure to do so, and Kimmel knows that.

You can say anything you want, as can I, because who are we? Certainly not so famous as to be known by millions of people. If Jimmy every goes out of bounds, he not only loses his job. Everyone who prepares the Jimmy Kimmel Show every night loses theirs too. And their ultimate bosses, those who are stockholders in ABC, lose their investment as well.

It's no great loss when an old show that has steadily faded for years finally hangs it up and calls it a day. That's the cycle all television shows undergo. But when a show is hot, popular and steady or rising, they all make more money than you and I combined will ever see.
That money goes into lots and lots of different hands, too. It doesn't stay in New York City, either. Big pieces of the pie go out to all the little stations that employ people who live close to me, and close to you, too.

Roseanne forgot all those people and her responsibilities to them. Whenever you post anything on the net, you only speak for yourself. Roseanne spoke for all those who depended on her, with no thought about them. If you were working for her, you would be only one of the 'little people' she obviously doesn't give a damn about.

Bad for her, but worse for them. Roseanne already has enough to get by, and she won't ever go broke, but that can't be said for your local weatherman; he needs his job, just like you need yours, and Roseanne just robbed him of a possible promotion.

The irony of it all is TV is TV. Give the show a time-out, and it can come back later without Roseanne and still be just as big a hit. It happens when the star leaves (or dies) all the time, especially with a cast as stellar as theirs.

If Roseanne wants to be a hard-talking racist, she can get a job on Fox. Her 'joke' was not a bit funny to anyone who is not racist.

If folks want a comedy with topical themes, another good female comedian can replace her on Roseanne and the show will still find it's audience on the ABC network.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:44 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,684,636 times
Quote:
I’ve seen a little of the Planet of the Apes. I’m missing the racial angle here. They are animals, not people.
Do a quick internet search on "comparing black people to apes." You will quickly see that there is a long, racial history in this sort of comparison. But you know this.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:45 PM

73,116 posts, read 62,763,156 times
Quote:
Don't play that feigned ignorance with me. We all know that the term "ape" is a racist term used against Black people. Why? Many people would claim that Blacks looked like monkeys and often compared Black people to animals, claiming they weren't fully human. It has its roots in scientific racism. If you really didn't know that, I am rather surprised. This is stuff I learned about as a teenager.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:47 PM

25,858 posts, read 16,569,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Don't play that feigned ignorance with me. We all know that the term "ape" is a racist term used against Black people. Why? Many people would claim that Blacks looked like monkeys and often compared Black people to animals, claiming they weren't fully human. It has its roots in scientific racism. If you really didn't know that, I am rather surprised. This is stuff I learned about as a teenager.
It’s a disgusting thing to say if it’s meant that way. But it doesn’t have to be automatically taken that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies