Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 10:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's actually true when you think about it. Certainly affirmative action is a race privilege
"privilege" is more de facto than de jure

if you think liberals are talking about de jure privilege then you are mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 10:27 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Brilliant article. About every person in Africa would do anything to live in America.

Black Americans, It
There are many forms of privilege, and being lucky enough to be born here is one.

Just as there is a form of privilege given to White people (me included) in this country.

Privilege comes in many shapes and sizes.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Every African DOES NOT want to live here. I don’t even know where you guys come up with this crap.

Moreover, what people in Africa want has no bearing on the situation in THIS country. It’s totally irrelevant. Completely meaningless.

If there’s a problem in this country that needs addressing relative to race, or any other issue, I’m gonna call it out immediately and demand a redress. I’ll do so tactfully at first, but if it doesn’t get rectified in a reasonable timeframe, all tact is going out the window. What some African in Tanzania thinks about it doesn’t concern me in the least.

Whatever privilege I have in this country, I deserve as a citizen, and I’m sure as hell not gonna apologize for it.

This thread comes off as a paean to whites for giving blacks privileges that we wouldn’t have elsewhere. I’m not about to join in the praise...perish the thought. We weren’t given anything. We fought for everything we have, and we owe no gratitude to anyone but our ancestors for fighting the good fight.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:48 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We weren’t given anything. We fought for everything we have, and we owe no gratitude to anyone but our ancestors for fighting the good fight.
Right, and that goes for whites as well as blacks and any other race/ethnicity/religion

Old 03-29-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
White Americans are't privileged over their counterparts in Europe or Canada. IN contrast, black Americans are extremely privileged compared to their counterparts in Africa. Basically they could be starving in a 3rd world continent.
Lol...this is hilarious. You must be kidding, right?

If whites had it so good in Europe, why are the Americas, Australia, and Africa chock full of European descendants?

You’re here because your ancestors were living in abject poverty in Europe and had no way to move up in society. If that wasn’t the case, you wouldn’t be here. The middle classes and wealthy had no reason to leave.

My privileged existence in America is no greater than yours if you’re basing it on who our progenitors are. You’re just as lucky to be here as I am...probably moreso. You just have white skin as an additional talisman, that’s all.

Had your ancestors been in Europe instead of America, they likely would’ve been one of the tens of millions dead in the two world wars.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Bird View Post
Why did White people take millions of African slaves?
I don't know about where you live but around here in 2018 slaves are illegal. What's more is there are strong laws across the board against all racial discrimination

Old 03-29-2018, 11:12 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,559,342 times
I worked with an African who said American blacks were lazy and uneducated so no wonder many were criminals. I was surprised and told him if I had said that I'd be called a racist. He just laughed.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:23 AM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I worked with an African who said American blacks were lazy and uneducated so no wonder many were criminals. I was surprised and told him if I had said that I'd be called a racist. He just laughed.
That African would be right. African blacks are lazy and uneducated based on the statistics of only being 13% of the population.

And those lazy and uneducated blacks are still doing much better than most Africans in the their home country.

Back on topic African Americans, we have the greatest black privileged out of blacks from any other country. Look at the black professional athletes, actors, musicians, entertainers, politicians, comedians who are insanely rich. In no other country would this be possible. I’ve seen black lawyers, doctors, engineers, scientists, etc. who have taken advantage of their opportunities in America.

The vast majority don’t.

As far as treatment overseas. Yes, black Americans overseas are treated a little bit better than at home.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
The US is a very rich country, and here people in lower classes **OF ALL RACES** seem to have an entitlement complex. They see what others have with the high paying job, nice house, nice car and think they are entitled without working for it. They drop out of high school instead of studying hard and getting through college. They mail in their effort at their low paying job because they think they "deserve" more money.

Yeah we have it good in the US but you get what you work for! There is no magical white privilege fairy

Old 03-29-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Okay. His opinion carries no extra weight just because he’s an African. It’s the same as you saying it.

And yeah, if you said it, that would be racist, but so what? Doesn’t stop you from saying it anyway. You just say it in secure company of which there’s no shortage. In fact, there’s a reason why the African guy felt so comfortable telling you that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies