Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2018, 12:46 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Apparently, it is:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regress

So...if regress is to go backward.... and regressive would be a descriptor of something that regresses...

What are these alleged "SJWs" doing to take society backward?

One cannot be progressive and regressive at the same time.

Progressives are wanting to move FORWARD.

So, you take an issue like gun control. Conservatives (or the right, as it were) want to adhere to a document written in the 1700s for this issue and never do they wish to stray.

Progressives (aka "the left" and "SJWs" and "snowflakes") want to move FORWARD and enact sensible legislation.

They want to reinterpret the 2nd amendment. Some even want to repeal it.

How's that remotely regressive?

I think clinging to a notion of nonexistent militias and their nonexistent regulated nature are regressive, per the definition of the word.

I will go ahead and assume that "regressive SJW" is a term coined by a person with a weak grasp of the English language, as is so often found in types who don't read much.
In addition to the post above ^, I would add another really recent example is Chuck Schumer couldn't support a judicial nomination because of the color of his skin. In what sick world is that "progress"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-XBnVmZLNo

Old 04-10-2018, 01:05 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Camera Hogg was accepted into UC Irvine. Finally! Close enough to still go on auditions although UCLA would have been better.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:43 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Camera Hogg was accepted into UC Irvine. Finally! Close enough to still go on auditions although UCLA would have been better.
UCLA and Berkley are tied at #1 as the top public colleges in the nation. UVirginia is #3. To get into any of those schools takes much more than high grades; they all demand either strong influence or strong connections to the schools. It also helps to be a state resident student.

Rightly so; the state taxpayers foot the bill, so residents who qualify are always given first preference. California has 4 of the top 10 public colleges. #8 is UC Santa Barbara, and #9 is UC Irvine. Getting an admission as an out-of-stater to any of them is a big achievement. Being admitted to any of the Top 10 is a high achievement.

So Irvine ain't bad, considering the competition. And once there, Hogg could be possibly admitted to UCLA next year as a sophomore, or as a junior, a senior, or for his Master's degree if he chooses to go on and get it.

He may find Irvine is a better fit for him. It is the smallest of those 4, while UCLA is the largest.

A degree from any of the Top 10 guarantees a good job with a well-earned Batchelor's degree, and assures an easier entry into the Ivy League for a Master's degree.

I don't expect David Hogg will continue to be one of the movement figureheads he is now once he begins college. None of the Top 10 got there by being easy on their students, and even very well-prepared Freshman will suddenly be more academically challenged as soon as they start than at any time in their young lives.

Every other kid in every class he takes will be just as smart and disciplined as he is, so he will find the grade competition to be intense and fierce in every class he takes. He won't have the time to lead the Parkland group, especially from 2,700 miles away.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:45 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Sorry REDZIN..you are wrong. Wanting to remove something that we have had for centuries is regressing back to a time before we had that constitutional RIGHT. So, Liberals want to take us back to a time when we were ruled by the King of England..how is that progress?

And please, I wish liberals would stop using emotional "Buzz words" like "SENSIBLE gun laws". Who makes the ditermination of what is "Sensible"?
Regressing to what? As far as I know, people always had guns in this country, before this even WAS a country.

So, what would it be regressing TO?

Modifying or removing a right isn't "regressing" if the state of the country once this is done is improved for the citizenry.

That is what progress means. It's like saying we always used lead paint, so removing the lead and using safer paint is "regressive."

That's just silly.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
In addition to the post above ^, I would add another really recent example is Chuck Schumer couldn't support a judicial nomination because of the color of his skin. In what sick world is that "progress"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-XBnVmZLNo
If his sole reason for rejecting the nominee was skin color and there were no other factors, yes, that would not make sense and I would not support it.

If his reason was that he was concerned that the court wasn't diverse enough, it's not about skin color, it's about diversity. It's about having a court that is made up of people who more closely represent the demographics of the country they represent.

So... what was it?

Old 04-10-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
UCLA and Berkley are tied at #1 as the top public colleges in the nation. UVirginia is #3. To get into any of those schools takes much more than high grades; they all demand either strong influence or strong connections to the schools. It also helps to be a state resident student.

Rightly so; the state taxpayers foot the bill, so residents who qualify are always given first preference. California has 4 of the top 10 public colleges. #8 is UC Santa Barbara, and #9 is UC Irvine. Getting an admission as an out-of-stater to any of them is a big achievement. Being admitted to any of the Top 10 is a high achievement.

So Irvine ain't bad, considering the competition. And once there, Hogg could be possibly admitted to UCLA next year as a sophomore, or as a junior, a senior, or for his Master's degree if he chooses to go on and get it.

He may find Irvine is a better fit for him. It is the smallest of those 4, while UCLA is the largest.

A degree from any of the Top 10 guarantees a good job with a well-earned Batchelor's degree, and assures an easier entry into the Ivy League for a Master's degree.

I don't expect David Hogg will continue to be one of the movement figureheads he is now once he begins college. None of the Top 10 got there by being easy on their students, and even very well-prepared Freshman will suddenly be more academically challenged as soon as they start than at any time in their young lives.

Every other kid in every class he takes will be just as smart and disciplined as he is, so he will find the grade competition to be intense and fierce in every class he takes. He won't have the time to lead the Parkland group, especially from 2,700 miles away.
I read somewhere that he was going to take a gap year before matriculating.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:59 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I read somewhere that he was going to take a gap year before matriculating.
Yep. His mom says he's going to work on the "mid term elections".

Old 04-10-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Yep. His mom says he's going to work on the "mid term elections".
He’ll be annoying right-wingers for another year.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:23 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Obviously Laura hasn't learned much. Another one gone after she spouts off again.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...s-another.html

Old 04-10-2018, 02:28 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Obviously Laura hasn't learned much. Another one gone after she spouts off again.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...s-another.html
Dude, she's right.

And when Bill Maher backs her up, you KNOW the regressive left are pushing the boundaries of sanity.

Something is going to give in this country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies