Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 12:42 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
No it doesn't..........technically, at best it makes you a novice. And you are correct, everyone has a right to voice their opinion (either way) on the issue. I think the issue for some here is that this young man is now considered a public figure and has a platform. There is nothing wrong with that, but if he chooses to enter the public arena then he is subject to all that goes with it.
On the flip side, those in the public arena who engage with him are subject to the consequences of their actions as well.
I would usually agree with you re: novice and expert distinctions, but outside of being in a combat zone, there are no US experts on mass shootings except the people who have been in one. I agree with the rest of your post. I have no issue with people disagreeing with David Hogg or any of the other students from Parkland.

I do have issue with grown adults taunting high schoolers. I thought adults were supposed to behave better than that.

You can say "I think David Hogg is completely wrong" and that's fine.

Calling the teen names and teasing him for being wrong is juvenile behavior and it says more about the adults doing this sort of thing than it says about David Hogg.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:49 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Being in a mass shooting makes you an expert at being in a mass shooting.

Since mass shootings are conducted with guns, I also think it gives you the right to express your opinion re: the easy of availability of guns... since without one, you would not be an expert on being in a mass shooting.

Though, I truly think that anyone has every right to voice their opinion about pretty much anything.
No. It does not make you an expert. He has an experience that he went through a mass shooting. That is all. Just because I can remove a virus off my computer by installing a certain software, it does not make me an expert.
My husband and other service members who have been through a firefight are experts in their field. Why? Because they go through training. They go through live fire drills, they go through training that does not involve live fire, they go to ranges, the list goes on.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:53 PM

764 posts, read 235,323 times
Quote:
I would usually agree with you re: novice and expert distinctions, but outside of being in a combat zone, there are no US experts on mass shootings except the people who have been in one. I agree with the rest of your post. I have no issue with people disagreeing with David Hogg or any of the other students from Parkland.

I do have issue with grown adults taunting high schoolers. I thought adults were supposed to behave better than that.

You can say "I think David Hogg is completely wrong" and that's fine.

Calling the teen names and teasing him for being wrong is juvenile behavior and it says more about the adults doing this sort of thing than it says about David Hogg.
I just disagree with calling him (them) experts. This implies too much....... no one is going to call on them for their expertise, just their opinion. And yes it IS bad form for adults to name call etc. but that is what goes on in the public forum and I like many others here believe this young man to be mature enough to know that. If not, then the adults around him are the problem. I believe that many of these kids are genuine in their concerns but I also believe they are being used by the gun control advocates to push their agenda.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:00 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Disagreeing with them is one thing, but if these students, or anyone else for that matter, are receiving DEATH THREATS for their views, that is another matter entirely.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:06 PM

764 posts, read 235,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Disagreeing with them is one thing, but if these students, or anyone else for that matter, are receiving DEATH THREATS for their views, that is another matter entirely.
This should be dealt with by the authorities and if caught the perpetrators should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Which ironically would result in the loss of their ability to legally own firearms............

Old 04-11-2018, 03:04 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Maybe he should retire from the public arena to get therapy to overcome his PTSD. Because when the media and the Left get bored with these kids, it won't end well for them. Sad.
It's OK for Trumps Storm Troopers to attack anyone they want

Old 04-11-2018, 03:12 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
David Hogg has a bright future ahead of him. He is strong. Rather than becoming further victimized with PTSD, he is putting himself out there to fight the problem. Elect him to congress!
I think he'd rather star in a feature film , preferably the story of his life, with a major studio. His name above the title, all ancillary rights.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:16 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
O.K., as much as we disagree, I still respect most everything you say...until now....

So, I've been in a car wreck, does that make me an expert on car wrecks and have the ability to make rules and regulations (or attempt to make changes, via voicing my opinion)?

Quote:
Since mass shootings are conducted with guns, I also think it gives you the right to express your opinion re: the easy of availability of guns... since without one, you would not be an expert on being in a mass shooting.
WOW, yes, not a single person is not saying that you should not be able to express your opinion....if you can show us this, then please do.....

I drink beer, therefore, by your logic, I'm a expert at making beer?

I shoot guns, therefore I'm an expert at gun making.....

Quote:
Though, I truly think that anyone has every right to voice their opinion about pretty much anything.
And again, not a single person is disagreeing with you.

However, as many on the left and right have stated, say what you want but pay the consequences.....

Teen or not, he wants to step into the real world of being an adult....then get ready....

Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Being in a mass shooting makes you an expert at being in mass shootingg.
No it doesnt. A lot of bad things have happened to me over the years, sometimes once or twice. It doesn't me an expert in them.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:59 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,321,661 times
Quote:
Do you consider the other students experts as well? What about victims of other mass shootings? Are they experts? Of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies