Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 10:22 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Okay, so what?
If your relatives and friends are dolts, the market will punish you. If they are exceptional, you'll be rewarded. No law is neccesary.
This culture will then easily influence state-owned business and government. We go back to 1000 years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 10:23 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I support private property rights; you own it, you get to decide.
IBM isn't "private property". It's a public company, by definition.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:57 AM

1,066 posts, read 629,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
IBM needs to be taken down a few pegs, that's fer sure.

They never were even penalized for helping the Nazis count and track all the Jews...so the odds they will get any consequences for being unethical pieces of crap NOW, when nobody gives two craps about doing the right thing, is miniscule.

But maybe their business will just slowly fall by the wayside as people realize there are better alternatives for meeting various technology requirements.

Get out of here with this crap. That stuff happened a long long time ago. The people running IBM is a new generation with no relation to it. just like 18 year old africans still claiming they are damaged from slavery days. I don't understand your peoples fixation on this stuff.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:11 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
IBM needs to be taken down a few pegs, that's fer sure.

They never were even penalized for helping the Nazis count and track all the Jews...so the odds they will get any consequences for being unethical pieces of crap NOW, when nobody gives two craps about doing the right thing, is miniscule.

But maybe their business will just slowly fall by the wayside as people realize there are better alternatives for meeting various technology requirements.

IBM is a very strangely run company. A good friend was an executive at IBM for years, and he told me stories about how rigid they were in every respect. You had to wear a certain color outfit, and if you were a certain level manager you were permitted to have certain items on your desk. Only higher level managers could have something like a water pitcher, not lower level managers.

I would fit in there for about 3 seconds.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:12 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
IBM is trying to rejoin the tech industry. It needs new ideas, new blood, a change of the guard. Out with the old, in with the new. It can keep the people who brought it to its present state or bring in new ones.
The people who brought IBM to its present state are not the employees but top management. Perhaps IBM stockholders would be really better served by a change of IBM management rather than by changing experienced proven loyal employees for unknowns.

In any case, if the OP is true - if I was in my mid-thirties at IBM and I know how IBM may treat its employees when they reach 40, I would start thinking about changing companies now.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:15 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
IBM isn't "private property". It's a public company, by definition.
It's a publicly traded company. Not everyone owns a share so it is owned by a limited number of people. Since it is not feasible for every owner to give their opinion on how the company is run, the shareholders elect a board that does their bidding. If you don't like it, then do your best to replace the board.

I know all to well about layoffs in the IT world. I've survived about a dozen of them since the 1990s with the latest happening 2 weeks ago.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:17 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
IT workers are like cars, value depreciates fast.
-------------

Tech giant IBM adopted hiring practices that favored younger workers and overseas talent while systematically firing, laying off or forcing the retirement of as many as 20,000 employees over 40, ProPublica and Mother Jones reported last week.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...echnology.html
They just painted a giant "SUE US" sign, and taped it on their back. It's class-action lawsuit time.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:21 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
I know of a major employer near where I live, thousands of well paying IT jobs. They just announced they are slashing these jobs, and even those employees with 20 years of service who have not been let go are being forced to "interview" for their current positions, if they want to keep it. As they reorganize, they are shipping off to Dallas, Phoenix, or Atlanta those who do not do as well in the interviews, and that's if they don't lay you off first. So glad I'm retiring soon.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:40 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I know of a major employer near where I live, thousands of well paying IT jobs. They just announced they are slashing these jobs, and even those employees with 20 years of service who have not been let go are being forced to "interview" for their current positions, if they want to keep it. As they reorganize, they are shipping off to Dallas, Phoenix, or Atlanta those who do not do as well in the interviews, and that's if they don't lay you off first. So glad I'm retiring soon.
Yeah, big companies have been doing this crap forever. One trick I saw was a person would hit 48 and suddenly their workload would double or triple. Then they had less time with friends and family. Maybe they were asked to travel. A nasty trick I saw was asking people to start making presentations and speaking in public for the first time in their lives. Then when the rolling layoffs were announced and volunteers asked for they'd be first in line.

My oldest kid is working for a large privately held company and I'm always pushing him to get as much education and experiences as he can and to always keep his eyes open for new opportunities. There's no such as loyalty with a large company.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:49 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yeah, big companies have been doing this crap forever. One trick I saw was a person would hit 48 and suddenly their workload would double or triple. Then they had less time with friends and family. Maybe they were asked to travel. A nasty trick I saw was asking people to start making presentations and speaking in public for the first time in their lives. Then when the rolling layoffs were announced and volunteers asked for they'd be first in line.

My oldest kid is working for a large privately held company and I'm always pushing him to get as much education and experiences as he can and to always keep his eyes open for new opportunities. There's no such as loyalty with a large company.
Yea, that's true, I think the smaller corporations tend to have more loyalty to their employees, as the relationships are more familial. Corporations have all kinds of tricks up their sleeves to get rid of employees. I am very fortunate, as I work for a large corporation that really does value long term employees and experience and does not force out these folks, as there has long been a tradition here of people retiring after many years of service. However, they no longer offer pensions (even mine has been slashed by 2/3 of what they used to be) and everyone after me gets nothing. When the "tradition" of keeping their long term employees ever ends where I work it will no longer be viewed favorably as a place people want to stay employed at for their working lives, and then I think the business model will suffer as well and all that valuable experience will disappear. Young kids out of college have not been in the trenches for decades and know how to keep loyal customers happy.

Short term profits over long term gains, so far my company has resisted this ruinous business model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies