Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 09:04 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Nonsense. Look at the demographics of the Nj election.

Of the people who said immigration was a key issue for them, only 10% btw, most of them voted for Guadagno.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2017-election/NJ

Btw, the opinion of the Democratic Party was significantly higher than the republican this past election.
You are not contradicting anything I have said here.

Read more closely and you will see. I said it was something that they didn't feel strongly about when it was theoretical, and their hate of Christie took precedence.

Now that it is a reality, their feelings about the issue are much stronger. Read the comments on different NJ forums. Read the comments in articles on the very liberal, NJ.com. There is a growing resentment out there, and the more he fulfills those promises, the bigger the resentment will grow.

P.S. You dont have to start every rebuttal with “Nonsense”. The fact that you are writing a rebuttal implies that you think it is nonsense, and that is no way to have a polite conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 09:08 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Because we "took" Texas from them .

No we didn't! All those southwestern territories were bought and paid for. Mexicans were given the option to remain Mexicans in Mexico or to join the U.S. Besides what are illegal aliens doing outside of Texas then? What happened long ago didn't have anything to do with those alive today anyway.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Partly this. But I think there are big cultural differences between the USA and all of our neighbors to the south. There is a lot of lawlessness and chaos in Mexico, Central, and South American countries. If that is what people are used to, then that breeds a different mindset than people from countries that are pretty well kept in check by law and order.

If that's so then why do we allow so many of them to come here legally and least of all letting them get in here illegally? You're right there is a cultural difference it's a macho attitude that laws don't apply to them coming from a lawless society to begin with.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:14 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I'm not thrilled with this, either, but that's what you focus on out of a $34 BILLION budget? $2 million for legal defense of illegals? That's nothing, and obviously he has a buddy in some law firm in mind he's tossing a bone by that. That's how politics work, people.

On the up side, he is funding the NJ public pension shortfall, and he is budgeting money for the public transit system and roadways, which we desperately need in the most densely populated state.

I'm not a big Phil Murphy fan, but I wasn't a Christie fan, either, and I met Kim Guadagno once and took an instant dislike to her, and I can't even say why. I've lived in NJ all my life, almost 60 years, and I can't really remember having a governor that I liked, mainly because if you are in a position to run for any sort of office in NJ, you have to have already sold your soul to someone, and that goes for whichever party you embrace. That's pretty much true of all politicians, I suppose, but NJ takes the prize because they don't even try to hide it.

I don't expect Phil Murphy to be some new shining light for New Jersey, but if he gets SOMETHING done, I'll be happy, and if that something has to do with transportation, that's good. The illegals are already here and they aren't going anywhere. I just wish they would be a little more careful when they mow the lawn in front of my condo unit because they keep breaking my garden solar lights. Other than that, they aren't what's high on my worry-about list.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:17 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
They don't call it "The People's Republic of New Jersey" for nothing. The classic Nanny State.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:19 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've lived in NJ all my life, almost 60 years, and I can't really remember having a governor that I liked
Except for Jim McGreevey?

Old 03-30-2018, 09:25 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If that's so then why do we allow so many of them to come here legally and least of all letting them get in here illegally? You're right there is a cultural difference it's a macho attitude that laws don't apply to them coming from a lawless society to begin with.
We let them in legally because when they are admitted in a controlled fashion, they will integrate with the much larger American population with the hopes that they assimilate. This is one of the many reasons that illegal immigration is so harmful. Instead of assimilating, they come in in such large numbers that they form enclaves, where their old customs and language are predominant and it takes much longer for them to assimilate than if they were submersed in American culture.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:42 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Except for Jim McGreevey?

I don't get this. Why?

He seemed kind of mild-mannered and not full of himself like a lot of our politicians, but I worked for a public transportation agency, and he was one of the worst in all the years I worked there for placing friends of friends into positions in the agency. They all disappeared when he resigned, lol.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:48 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
Quote:
Partly this. But I think there are big cultural differences between the USA and all of our neighbors to the south. There is a lot of lawlessness and chaos in Mexico, Central, and South American countries. If that is what people are used to, then that breeds a different mindset than people from countries that are pretty well kept in check by law and order.
Our Latino friends to the south love "big government"...what do Mexicans and Democrats have inc common?????

ahhh , yes! BIG GOVERNMENT. Thats why they want them more , and more , and more , and more.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
We let them in legally because when they are admitted in a controlled fashion, they will integrate with the much larger American population with the hopes that they assimilate. This is one of the many reasons that illegal immigration is so harmful. Instead of assimilating, they come in in such large numbers that they form enclaves, where their old customs and language are predominant and it takes much longer for them to assimilate than if they were submersed in American culture.

I live in So. Calif. and I don't see many of the legal ones assimilating very well either. They come from a macho, tribal mentality ethnic group and a country where the rule of law doesn't mean much. Many of them still cling to their roots and native language and live in enclaves just as those here illegally do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies