Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 12:29 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
right, it's merely annoying to the customer, but it does a further disservice to the customer by giving them such 'warning fatigue' that they are less likely to take any warnings seriously, knowing how many are based on nothing more than stupid lawsuits or threats of same, rather than science.

it is indeed farcical considering the bulk of evidence is that coffee has more health benefits than dangers.

Coffee Is Good for Your Liver

3 to 5 Cups of Coffee a Day May Lower Risk of Heart Attacks

Drinking Coffee May Cut Risk of Colon Cancer

1 to 5 Cups Daily May Reduce Risk of Early Death

highly unlikely. how do you propose that someone who developed cancer could draw a direct line between that cancer and their coffee consumption?
How is a warning sign in a store, or on a coffee cup an any way annoying to the customer?

A civil lawsuit would not need to draw a direct line. All it would need to show it that the coffee contained Acrylamide, that Acrylamideis classified as a group 2A Carcinogen which requires a warning label, and that the companies did not place such label.

In the Sacramento thread we have tons of posts talking about how if you break the law it's ok (and often you deserve) to be shot by the police. I'm surprised that this thread isn't full of people demanding that we don't line up the executives of these companies and execute them. Well, I'm not really surprised as I doubt there are many black executives at these companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 12:45 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
“I’ll take a Venti Cancer , low fat latte please “

—-

Reuters) - Starbucks Corp (SBUX.O) and other coffee sellers must put a cancer warning on coffee sold in California, a Los Angeles judge has ruled, possibly exposing the companies to millions of dollars in fines.

A little-known not-for-profit group sued some 90 coffee retailers, including Starbucks, on grounds they were violating a California law requiring companies to warn consumers of chemicals in their products that could cause cancer.

One of those chemicals is acrylamide, a byproduct of roasting coffee beans that is present in high levels in brewed coffee.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1H5399
I'd say cancer is the slimmest chance you're taking at SBux. You got a better chance with other health issues from the high fructose corn syrups and fatty milk that they use. Seriously I'm surprised that's not been discussed more than the chance with cancer.

I've been to many Sbux that already had that Prop 65 warning sign sitting out. I wasn't really sure what the cancer was from, coffee or something else that either they are putting in their beverages, food or from the materials that their cups, straws and/or napkins may have. Now I know it's about just the coffee.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Maybe they should put a Cancer Tax on it as well. In addition to all the other taxes.
Once everyone stops buying alcohol and cigarettes because of the out of control extremely high taxing on those items, the government will be at a total loss so they will start taxing coffee, tea and hot chocolates, I guarantee it.

Back in the day when I first entered the serious workforce, I used to joke around that the government would tax us for the air we breath if they could find a way to do it. They now have.....Obamacare.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:49 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Once again demonstrating why CA is known as "The Land of Fruits and Nuts".

Old 03-30-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I wouldn’t be surprised if CA finds a way to tax the polluted air we breathe too .
They have....and it's just not restricted to CA either. It's called Obamacare. You breath, you pay.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I now have that image in my head. Ha! Similar to this.
Isn't that the American Indian who used to cry a single tear while in horseback from looking at all the trash on the ground?

Old 03-30-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
But think of the upsell opportunity..

They could start selling tobacco too .

“Would you like a pack of cigarettes with your coffee today ? Or perhaps a nice cigar to smoke on our patio? ... You might as well..”
A number of SBux in the recent past had already started, or at least floated the idea of serving alcohol along with their other products.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:01 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
How is a warning sign in a store, or on a coffee cup an any way annoying to the customer?

A civil lawsuit would not need to draw a direct line. All it would need to show it that the coffee contained Acrylamide, that Acrylamideis classified as a group 2A Carcinogen which requires a warning label, and that the companies did not place such label.

In the Sacramento thread we have tons of posts talking about how if you break the law it's ok (and often you deserve) to be shot by the police. I'm surprised that this thread isn't full of people demanding that we don't line up the executives of these companies and execute them. Well, I'm not really surprised as I doubt there are many black executives at these companies.
a successful lawsuit would. simply showing that minute quantities of a possible carcinogen exists in a food or drink product would hopefully be laughed out of court.

very interesting that you managed to pull the race card in a thread about coffee labels

have a look at these FDA acrylamide estimates, and let us know if you think Californians should start demanding warning labels on all of these too.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:03 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
A number of SBux in the recent past had already started, or at least floated the idea of serving alcohol along with their other products.
Yeah I heard about that some years back .. but haven’t actually seen any locations that do it .

I could see it doing well at least later in the day .

Old 03-30-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
right, it's merely annoying to the customer, but it does a further disservice to the customer by giving them such 'warning fatigue' that they are less likely to take any warnings seriously, knowing how many are based on nothing more than stupid lawsuits or threats of same, rather than science.

it is indeed farcical considering the bulk of evidence is that coffee has more health benefits than dangers.

Coffee Is Good for Your Liver

3 to 5 Cups of Coffee a Day May Lower Risk of Heart Attacks

Drinking Coffee May Cut Risk of Colon Cancer

1 to 5 Cups Daily May Reduce Risk of Early Death

highly unlikely. how do you propose that someone who developed cancer could draw a direct line between that cancer and their coffee consumption?
Well, also Steve McQueen went to Mexico and participated in coffee enema's for the treatment and prospective cure for his colon cancer. Unfortunately that didn't work out so well though for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies