Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 09:33 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Probably something to do with the fact that they are US citizens and have rights. You can’t just remove millions of people’s citizenship.
Congress can legally do whatever it pleases with Puerto Rico and dispose of it at will. They don't need to ask their permission. The plebescites are just meant to influence their decision, but they are not binding at all.

Puerto Ricans could be given the choice of what citizenship they want - or have dual citizenship after independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 10:31 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Why on earth is more global-expansion a good idea for the USA...........we have enough to deal with already. PR, well, let them people go!

Old 03-31-2018, 12:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Probably something to do with the fact that they are US citizens and have rights. You can’t just remove millions of people’s citizenship.

If the US wants to get rid of Puerto Rico now would likely be the best time to do it. The pro US people are leaving in droves so it would be the best shot for a referendum to vote for independence.

Your conservative predecessors screwed you over when Puerto Rico did want to be independent and the US government refused, for almost a hundred years we had a chance to release them. Now the majority consider themselves Americans and they are not going to vote for independence.

Sorry to burst every pro-independence supporter out there bubble, but it’s not going to happen. Putting off referendums is simply putting off statehood.
The poster I responded to said my thoughts violate the Constitution, and I am wondering how so.

Making PR a country does not remove citizenship from anyone. A person is still a citizen regardless of where they live. I lived overseas for years, and I still was a US citizen. I imagine if independence were to occur, maintaining US citizenship would be part of the deal because I doubt anyone would vote otherwise. Plus the option is there for them to locate to the US.

I am not pro or anti independence, I am indifferent to it actually, and I stated in my original post that whatever the decision is, it should be democratic, the people who reside in the area should decide, and no outside money and influence should decide such matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies