Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:45 AM

34,177 posts, read 18,482,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Criminal Justice Act 1988 (s139) allowsfolding knives (pocket knives) of less than 3" (76mm) to be carried.
Thanks. I appreciate the good info you provide. It saddens me, but it's nice to get the UK perspective. I a, a recovering Anglophile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 07:50 AM

27,044 posts, read 13,295,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the good info you provide. It saddens me, but it's nice to get the UK perspective. I a, a recovering Anglophile.
I still wouldn't take a swiss army knife in to a big city, but in rural areas in the UK you should be okay.

It's the same with guns, in rural areas lots of farmers, gamekeepers and locals have shotguns and rifles, it's part of country life and does no harm.

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-02-2018 at 07:59 AM..

Old 04-02-2018, 08:14 AM

30,030 posts, read 11,623,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Remove all guns in England... oh it is a no gun law country!

Let’s ban all knife’s and let cut foot with a fork unti fork attacks will take over!

Or maybe address mental illness and Muslim extremists as these are the two causes of evil
Those plastic sporks they gave out in grade school can put an eye out. Better ban those also.

Anything to avoid what is the real cause of people doing violent things.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Those plastic sporks they gave out in grade school can put an eye out. Better ban those also.

Anything to avoid what is the real cause of people doing violent things.
As already stated neither knives or guns are banned in the UK.

As for New York City, whilst London's population is nearing 9 million and is projected to reach 10 million by 2031, the opposite is true in respect of NYC.

Here's why New York is shrinking | New York Post

People are fleeing New York at an alarming rate | New York Post

Brooklyn Is Booming. So Why Is Population Shrinking? - CityLab

London population predicted to near 10 million within a decade as England continues to grow - The Independent

London population growth rate twice that of UK, official figures show - Guardian

London population surges to all-time high of 8.8m - Evening Standard

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-02-2018 at 10:23 AM..

Old 04-02-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
As already stated neither knives or guns are banned in the UK.
They are extremely, and highly regulated, and restricted to the point where government gets to decide if your "need" gets approved, and then it is for watered down examples of guns, and knives. I can't believe people accept this situation.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
They are extremely, and highly regulated, and restricted to the point where government gets to decide if your "need" gets approved, and then it is for watered down examples of guns, and knives. I can't believe people accept this situation.
You can buy a knife quite easily, most homes are full of very sharp knives in the UK, what you can't do is carry one for self defence and the same applies to guns.

You can join a gun club, go clay pigeon shooting, hunting or go target shooting.

Most people have no problem obtaining a shotgun licence, indeed many such as farmers and gamekeepers need them as part of their employment.

There are also shooting ranges across the UK, indeed I already pointed this out in a previouis post number 56 on this very thread.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:20 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,996,125 times
Quote:
Pretty much the same situation as most of Europe. ...and they can't believe we have a gun obsessed culture with a bunch of "nutters" stopping any realistic modifications.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Pretty much the same situation as most of Europe. ...and they can't believe we have a gun obsessed culture with a bunch of "nutters" stopping any realistic modifications.
Law abiding gun owners are not "nutters". That is where your biased narrative FAILS.

There is a reason we left Europe, and monarchs.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:29 AM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
London isn’t only physically bigger than NY, London is also seeing a small spike in murders this year, and New York is seeing a massive drop. London normally gets around 105.4 murders and had 130 murders, a high few months this year added to a low few months from NYC and their on route to meet around 150 a piece, so they have closer to New York which averaged 290 last year but 329 in the last five years. Not to mention NYC has strict gun control laws, and is the safest major city in the U.S. The drop in rates is almost entirely due to large drops in The Bronx (30 murder drop)/ Queens (30 murder drop)/ Brooklyn (60 murder drop) and smaller drop in Manhattan. Go to 2009-2012 you see an average of 500 murders.

Point is you have to wait for the perfect mix of results to see the same rates. NYC would have to effectively kick itself out of the U.S to hope for the 100 a year that London sees. Using history London will likely simmer down to end below 150, New York will uptick over the summer and end around 250.
NYC has long had strict gun control laws. In the not so distant past, however (i.e. the early 1990s), NYC was experiencing over 2,000 homicides a year (the overwhelming majority of which were gun related). A shift in policing tactics (not gun control) brought about NYC's drastic drop in violent crime, which of course includes homicides.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
NYC has long had strict gun control laws. In the not so distant past, however (i.e. the early 1990s), NYC was experiencing over 2,000 homicides a year (the overwhelming majority of which were gun related). A shift in policing tactics (not gun control) brought about NYC's drastic drop in violent crime, which of course includes homicides.
The 1911 Sullivan Act illegally banned private citizens in NYC from having concealable firearms unless a LICENSE was obtained. Licenses were only given to WHITE, politically connected individuals. That law still stands 107 years later as well as other illegally restrictive laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies