Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 09:18 PM

10,457 posts, read 4,040,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
We have strict restrictions on who can operate an automobile. Licenses must be routinely renewed. Vehicles must be registered and inspected annually. Every registered vehicle must be insured. You know, common sense regulation.
And right now in Florida, do you have any idea the amount of drivers, mostly illegal immigrants, are driving around in cars not registered and not paying insurance and they sure as hell have no drivers license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Well, I guess we shouldn’t have any laws at all, if people are just going to break them. Thanks for showing me the light.
Works for me. It's sickening that I as a law abiding citizen have to fork out 2000 a year for insurance on one vehicle while my next door neighbors who are Haitian are driving around with stolen tags and no insurance. They keep getting tickets, but the cops don't really do anything about it. If they don't have to comply with laws, than why should I?

Old 04-01-2018, 09:23 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Until they drift across the yellow line and crash head-on into an oncoming car, killing the driver and critically injuring the passenger. Or hits a church bus.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/driver-...xting-witness/

Most media outlets don't like to report on stories of crimes being stopped or lives being defended with guns. You have no idea how often it happens.
If it isn't reported, neither do you.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Guns will not Save you but Jesus can. I know a lot people who've been killed by guns and never heard a case of one protecting anybody. The best thing you can do when accosted by a criminal with a gun is to pray, I mean really really pray. They'll always have the edge. I blame it on Hollywood heroism syndrome with respect to owning a gun for protection. I'm no anti-gun advocate but anyone who owns a gun for "protection" is simply out of touch. Other than probably accidently (or intentionally) killing a friend/family member, it's a nice hobby for outings at a gun range, etc.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Until they drift across the yellow line and crash head-on into an oncoming car, killing the driver and critically injuring the passenger. Or hits a church bus.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/driver-...xting-witness/

Most media outlets don't like to report on stories of crimes being stopped or lives being defended with guns. You have no idea how often it happens.
Or, they are just too busy texting and end up hitting and killing a pedestrian. Heck, there was a really bad accident a few months ago where an elderly couple driving an RV were busy on the phone and went the wrong way on a ramp and crashed head on with a small truck with two teenage girls. The girls were killed on impact.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:49 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Accidental drownings are much more common than accidental shootings yet we don't ban backyard swimming pools or boating at the lake.

But there are safety standards for swimming pools, that must be followed or penalties will be assessed. Those who go boating must have life-preservers. If they're motor boats, they need fire-extinguishers and on some types of water, warning horns. Lights are required at night and motorized boats and sailboats must be licensed. There's quite a bit of governmental involvement, in managing these safety features.

The problem with the gun-rights crowd is, that any slight increase in safety or ownership qualifications, is interpreted by them the same as if a complete ban on all guns was being proposed. If any small increase in requirements for gun ownership or use is proposed, you'd think that their very manhood was being threatened.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
But there are safety standards for swimming pools, that must be followed or penalties will be assessed. Those who go boating must have life-preservers. If they're motor boats, they need fire-extinguishers and on some types of water, warning horns. Lights are required at night and motorized boats and sailboats must be licensed. There's quite a bit of governmental involvement, in managing these safety features.

The problem with the gun-rights crowd is, that any slight increase in safety or ownership qualifications, is interpreted by them the same as if a complete ban on all guns was being proposed. If any small increase in requirements for gun ownership or use is proposed, you'd think that their very manhood was being threatened.
once again there are plenty of laws regarding gun ownership, more than 22,000 of them in fact. for instance you can discharge your firearm indiscriminately. you are responsible for negligent discharges. you cant brandish your weapon, especially if you carry concealed, and printing can be considered brandishment by the way. if you shoot at someone, and your bullet goes through the bad guy and hits an innocent person downrange, you are responsible for the innocent persons damages, better put that .357 magnum back in the gun safe, and use the smaller 9mm instead.

perhaps instead of demonizing the NRA, you should attend one of their gun safety classes and find out what you really dont know.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:42 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post

Now you're getting to the root of the matter, no pun intended. Guns give a sense of hope to the hopeless, a sense of power to the powerless, and a sense of identity to the overlooked, bypassed, unknown and unloved. They are the solution to all of life's problems. Just ask.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:13 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Funny how people always bring up cars and the number of deaths due to accidents or drinking or other bad car behaviors.

Yet every year, we as a civilization put so much money into improving the safety of cars trying to make them more idiot proof. At the same time we battle to get rid of drunken or even tipsy driving. The number of car related deaths are constantly coming down. At the same time, how often at there developments to make guns any safer. Aren't they in fact TRYING to make them deadlier?

Well that depends.

Know anything about a Browning Hi-Power 9mm?

One of its features is that it cannot be fire without the magazine inserted. They tell me this feature is to prevent someone from accidentally shooting themselves in case there is still a round in the pipe after the magazine has been ejected.

NOW, to my training, that is bad thing because I was trained on the 1911 to reload with one in the pipe. That is, if someone engages you while reloading, you still have one more round to shoot with.

But, 6 ways one direction, a half dozen the other.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:56 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
1. As for the car safety... you gotta be kidding...
  • Radar equipped brakes to stop the car automatically.
  • Front ends designed to protect pedestrians hit straight on.
  • Seat belts.
  • Automatic Braking Systems that allow cars to steer while stopping instead of sliding.
  • Safety glass so people don't get cut to bits by broken glass.
  • Airbags so people don't slam their heads into hard interiors.
  • Disc Brakes
  • Windshield Wipers
  • Headlamps
  • Side Safety Lamps
  • Backup buzzers
  • Breathalyzer interlocks
  • Bumpers
  • Body Shell Crumple Zones
  • Roll over protection built into the roof

Plus hundreds of other improvements and you claim that the biggest innovation in automobile safety is the "Public Service Announcement?" Get real.

2. Are you sure you are responding to the right posts? I know this is your April Fools joke, right? You DO know I said not word 1 about this subject right?

3. I guess you haven't seen the new Ford commercial where the kid says to his dad... "Something is wrong with the car, I can't get text messages when I'm driving.

4. Cars are getting more powerful and faster every year since they were conceived, yet they get safer every year too.

You really need to check what you are saying, it makes no sense and is not correct - not by a long shot.
I think we are talking about different aspects of the same issue. Cars have absolutely gotten safer since their introduction 100 years ago. Drivers are still idiots.

What I'm saying is that the much bigger problem isn't the car....it's the driver.
Drunk driving, texting, not wearing seatbelts, speeding etc.

Fatality Facts

I think we got crossed up as to the points we are trying to make.

I'm noting that to counteract the large portion of preventable deaths by driver actions they are approaching it with PSA's and penalties for violations. They aren't putting mandatory breath-locks, cell phone blocking, speed limiters and so forth on the cars although there are apps you can get or the occasional optional feature you can VOLUNTARILY enable or disable in some cars.

Sorry for any confusion, I wasn't making my points clearly in writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies